What swing thoughts are working for you?

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Thought this might be a helpful thread for anyone looking for a tip or thought to jumpstart their games.

I went through a rough patch earlier this year, but I feel it's getting better. It's from two things:

1- Keep the butt against the wall. I try to keep my butt pressed against the imaginary wall at address, then as I turn back in the backswing and then initiate the downswing, I keep it pressed against that wall.

2- Turn behind the ball. I know that's stupid, but getting my shoulders behind the ball with a turn helps me hit it more solidly and longer.

Anything working well for you right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The butt against the wall is a good one and I use that sometimes on the range when I'm blocking the ball or see a draw hook. Getting behind the ball is something I've been battling all year.

My thoughts on the range as I try to avoid having any on the course to avoid getting to mental are

Weight in left heel and open up hips and chest on the transition/downswing

I love Sergio's swing thought of pulling down a chain to start your downswing. It seems to always work when my rhythm gets off.

Turn, don't slide forward on the downswing.

When I go play I have this text as my phones lock screen to remind me what to do to keep things consistent with my practice.

Pitch shot LW 45, SW 65, GW 85, PW 105
Full shot LW 95-104, SW 105-119, GW 120-130
PW 131-140, 9 iron 141-150, 8 iron 151-160
7 iron 161-170, 6 iron 171-180, 5 iron 181-190
4 iron 191-199, 4 hybrid 200-219, 4 wood 220+

face square. Left hand neutral. right hand just weak.
Waggle. Regrip straight. Tilt head behind ball.
Dip right shoulder. weight on heels. Slow back swing.
Hockey. Swing all the way through the impact path.

A couple of those to explain. I waggle and regrip because when I initially grab the club, I always end up strong at impact. If I waggle and regrip, I can keep it square. I have to consciously dip my right shoulder or I hit a harsh hook because my path gets all screwed up. I used to end up on my tip toes, so I have to put my weight on my heels. And the hockey analogy always helps my right arm through the swing, i.e. think of slapping a puck.

If it is driver I pick my target and then tell myself to let it eat. Not sure if you would call that a swing thought but that is all I think. All other clubs I just pick a target and pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Swing fast. When I start thinking about path or where anything is in my swing, bad things happen. More often then not when I take a healthy smooth cut at it I get better results.

I try not to think at all, too much thinking get me in trouble.

If it is driver I pick my target and then tell myself to let it eat. Not sure if you would call that a swing thought but that is all I think. All other clubs I just pick a target and pull the trigger.

This is something I've only recently started to learn. Good players let the club swing. Bad players swing the club. Huge difference.

Slow back, start with the lower body with slow downswing, accelerate through all with a relaxed grip.

Just today and only with an off-handed niblick: the movement of the club head dictates all. I take the club back and every subsequent action is necessitated by the nature and extent of the club head movement. FD: I've been playing more left-handed shots, lately, in an effort to balance my golf brain.

Swing fast. When I start thinking about path or where anything is in my swing, bad things happen. More often then not when I take a healthy smooth cut at it I get better results.

this doesn't surprise me. you have a great natural move on the ball.

This is something I've only recently started to learn. Good players let the club swing. Bad players swing the club. Huge difference.
If I had anymore thoughts than that I would never be able to pull the trigger. All the demons in my head would lock me up.

Save the acceleration for impact and after the ball. I'm feeling like I'm cracking a whip at the bottom of my swing.

I am thinking about solid contact.

A very slight pause at the top, gives me better contact but it is actually hard to do.

Tempo, and a fly ball to right field...

Stay behind it & stay connected on the way back.

I seem to function better when extra thoughts do not creep into my noggin

My only thought really is swing smooth. But usually somewhere in the backswing, my brain switches over and starts telling me "KILL!!" Then I hook it in to next week.

Keep the face of the club looking at the ball in my takeaway as long as possible. Helps me start my swing in sync and square to the target.

Back