2015 Maltby Playability Factors.

BrianW

Reaction score
Handicap
I went to the Golfworks website to see if any of the newer clubs had been rated. Here are the new ratings I could find. Im not sold on the ratings but I know some find them interesting.
Cobra Fly Z XL 699
Cobra Fly Z 633
Cobra Fly Z XL Forged 683
Callaway Big Bertha 867
Callaway XR 660
Callaway XR Pro 601
Callaway Apex MB 322
Mizuno JPX 850 726
Nike Vapor Pro 235
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 119
Nike Vapor Speed 116 Yes you read that right.
Taylor Made RSi 1 818
Taylor Made RSi 2 422
Taylor Made RSi TP 386
Wilson D200 416
Wilson FG Tour V4 291
Have fun!

Yeah higher is more forgiving. There's always lots of head scratchers on this list and how the D200's are only in the 400's is one of them.

Stuck in the stone age and not understanding modern technology. I hate that there are people out there that believe these ratings will help a golfer.

I honestly have no idea what these are, and I do not really care.

Looks about right to me. The Vapor Speed was the most difficult to hit SGI club I've ever tried. Usually TM clubs rate low on his scale. TM must have changed something in their design for the RSi

Looks about right to me. The Vapor Speed was the most difficult to hit SGI club I've ever tried. Usually TM clubs rate low on his scale. TM must have changed something in their design for the RSi
But are they harder to hit than a muscleback iron?

Stuck in the stone age and not understanding modern technology. I hate that there are people out there that believe these ratings will help a golfer.

1000% nailed it here.

I have a fairly high level of respect for Ralph Maltby. Not sure where he gets the info for his rating system, but he has a lifetime in the golf business as a designer, club maker etc. I have attended two of his club building classes over the years, and he is very good at it and a very good, highly respected teacher. He has taught club making/repair to more PGA Golf Pro's than any other person on earth.

Club building is cool for sure.

But scoring the Vapor Speed irons, as bad as they were, as more difficult/lower than the Vapor Pro irons which are basically musclebacks, destroys any credibility or common sense here IMO.

But honestly, its not surprising.

I have a fairly high level of respect for Ralph Maltby. Not sure where he gets the info for his rating system, but he has a lifetime in the golf business as a designer, club maker etc. I have attended two of his club building classes over the years, and he is very good at it and a very good, highly respected teacher. He has taught club making/repair to more PGA Golf Pro's than any other person on earth.

Sometimes technology changes and if one is not willing to learn and change with that technology, that is completely up to them. However to ridicule because one does not understand is the definition in some walks as ignorant.

The name on the top of the list, is meaningless as far as I am concerned. It could be the Bob Smith playability chart and I would have the same feeling. There are a number of well respected club makers that sadly have been passed over and I hope that does not diminish their incredible backgrounds. Reminds me of when Ali fought Holmes.

I honestly have no idea what these are, and I do not really care.
I was thinking the same thing but wanted you to break the seal

Sometimes technology changes and if one is not willing to learn and change with that technology, that is completely up to them. However to ridicule because one does not understand is the definition in some walks as ignorant.

The name on the top of the list, is meaningless as far as I am concerned. It could be the Bob Smith playability chart and I would have the same feeling. There are a number of well respected club makers that sadly have been passed over and I hope that does not diminish their incredible backgrounds. Reminds me of when Ali fought Holmes.

You are correct. I think Ralph may be lost in the past, and I hate to say, because I really like the guy having met him and all, but he does sell clubs as well.........

I am sorta bummed that I didn't pick the FG Tour 100 irons, since they are apparently similar in forgiveness to the D200s.

I am sorta bummed that I didn't pick the FG Tour 100 irons, since they are apparently similar in forgiveness to the D200s.

Yeah, that right there tells you all you need to know about the list for the most part.

All the more reason review threads on THP help make testing and purchasing decisions far more easier than a list like this.

But are they harder to hit than a muscleback iron?

Honestly not sure. I've never tried an MB iron before to my knowledge.

Honestly not sure. I've never tried an MB iron before to my knowledge.
I can say, with 99.9% certainty, that there's no way an MB is easier to play than the Vapor Speed irons.

Not sure I understand the hate. While I don't agree with the overall scores, the figures provide the location of the CG within each iron head horizontally and vertically, and the size of the MOI.

So what am I missing that everyone is hating that information?

Gonna need that 2015 Miles Playability Factor ASAP, Jman. Thanks.

Gonna need that 2015 Miles Playability Factor ASAP, Jman. Thanks.

Bahahaha, I can throw some stars in there for "demand" too if you want brother!

Not sure I understand the hate. While I don't agree with the overall scores, the figures provide the location of the CG within each iron head horizontally and vertically, and the size of the MOI.

So given that you know what the ratings are based on, and also given that it rates silly things like Wilson D200s (SGI irons) very similarly to FG Tour 100s (blades), what does that tell you about what the ratings are based on?

Do you honestly believe that Wilson Staff can't make a SGI iron that is significantly more forgiving than a blade? Or is it possible that this particular rating is missing something? Because you can't have it both ways.

I can say, with 99.9% certainty, that there's no way an MB is easier to play than the Vapor Speed irons.

I'd be willing to take a leap and add the extra hundredth of a percent.

The individual numbers that go into the score can be useful, I guess. But at the end of the day, I'm going to go by personal performance picking out clubs. I'm not going to take any of those numbers over experience when picking clubs. I guess when it comes to thinking of clubs to try - if you can figure out what characteristics are common in clubs that work for you, you can seek out those clubs to try.

Nice to see that my old Ping I-3 O-Size actually ranked lower than the blades of that same model. I should have been playing the blades all along. grrrrrr

Spoiler Alert:

The last Maltby Iron to score below 600 on this scale was released in 1999

Back