High End Putter Comparison

spdoran8

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys! Looking to add another putter to the collection and wanted some feedback from everyone. I currently roll a custom Scotty Cameron Newport and love the head shape of the Newport/anser style and love all things Scotty, but pretty sure I want to try something different this time. A few companies that have caught my eye are machine, piretti, lajosi. Has anyone rolled any of these and can give feedback or comparisons? We don't have any of these anywhere in the area for me to roll but I do love the looks. Have always loved the TEI3 as well so could always go that route too (but not sure if it'd be too light). Let me know guys, thanks!

I have a Newport 2 and recently picked up a Piretti Cottonwood 2. I haven't had a lot of time yet with The Cottonwood but my initial comparisons are that the head of the Cottonwood is noticeably heavier. I find the feel to be similar when hit in the centre of the face but the Cottonwood makes a "ping" like noise on off centre hits. It should also be noted that I have different grips on them for now. I have a Super Stroke Slim 3.0 on my Newport and a stock Piretti grip on the Cottonwood. I will be changing the Cottonwood's grip to a Super Stroke Slim 3.0 as soon as I get the chance.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Hey guys! Looking to add another putter to the collection and wanted some feedback from everyone. I currently roll a custom Scotty Cameron Newport and love the head shape of the Newport/anser style and love all things Scotty, but pretty sure I want to try something different this time. A few companies that have caught my eye are machine, piretti, lajosi. Has anyone rolled any of these and can give feedback or comparisons? We don't have any of these anywhere in the area for me to roll but I do love the looks. Have always loved the TEI3 as well so could always go that route too (but not sure if it'd be too light). Let me know guys, thanks!

What are you looking to spend? A pricepoint might help us to narrow down your options.

I haven't spent much time with the companies you listed, but I think you're going to get a unique experience with any company depending on the material and milling they use.

As for the Tei3, it's a great head, but horribly difficult to find one in decent shape for a fair price. If you're going to spend 500 on a putter that has a copper insert, may as well reach out to Lajosi and see what kind of timing he is working with. Lots of THPers have had great success there.

As for high end, I think adding Toulon to the mix would be a good move. They have a really cool milling process that creates a fantastic sound and roll. They just opened the garage back up, so you have a chance to customize one to your specs which is awfully cool as well.

Also, take a look at Bettinardi. Some of his customs are kind of silly in price, but you might find exactly what you're looking for on the second hand market.

I haven't spent much time with the companies you listed, but I think you're going to get a unique experience with any company depending on the material and milling they use.

As for the Tei3, it's a great head, but horribly difficult to find one in decent shape for a fair price. If you're going to spend 500 on a putter that has a copper insert, may as well reach out to Lajosi and see what kind of timing he is working with. Lots of THPers have had great success there.

As for high end, I think adding Toulon to the mix would be a good move. They have a really cool milling process that creates a fantastic sound and roll. They just opened the garage back up, so you have a chance to customize one to your specs which is awfully cool as well.

Also, take a look at Bettinardi. Some of his customs are kind of silly in price, but you might find exactly what you're looking for on the second hand market.

yeh I have a bettinardi already and it's nice but too firm for my liking. I like his FIT face but hard to find blades with that milling that aren't ridiculous in price. Toulons are nice as well, like the Madison shape a lot. As far as price, probably looking around the $300 range and am ok buying used/2nd hand

Don't discount TP Mills also. Fantastic putters that have incredible feel.

Low Tide makes some really nice custom putters and are easy to work with.

Other company in the high end category (as mentioned above ) are Toulon as they now have their garage open, and those putters look awesome, and Kronos, if they have what you are looking for in stock.

You could also try LaMont with Mannkrafted if you want something specific.

A lot of this depends on what you are seeking. I you just want a particular style putter, go with a mass produced OEM. Companies like Cameron, Toulon, bettinardi, and PIrerti to name a few. Most will disagree but I consider Toulon garage mass produced OEM. The mass produce heads and hosels and let you configured paintfill, head color, and sightlines. Nice features but not exactly custom.

If you start looking in the "boutique" world you bring in names like tad Moore, tp mills, Byron, machine, lajosi, etc. with these club makers you are generally getting a one off club made for you with everything you want to include hosel location, offset, toe hang, weight, milling patterns and head material.

The later are more one man shops and it can take time to get your order completed but you can get what you want. You mentioned you like feel, go with a deep milled copper and you get about as soft a feel putter as you can get.

Good luck in your search and be sure to show us what you get

I've got a high end Bettinardi for sale in the Marketplace if it's your style.

A lot of this depends on what you are seeking. I you just want a particular style putter, go with a mass produced OEM. Companies like Cameron, Toulon, bettinardi, and PIrerti to name a few. Most will disagree but I consider Toulon garage mass produced OEM. The mass produce heads and hosels and let you configured paintfill, head color, and sightlines. Nice features but not exactly custom.

If you start looking in the "boutique" world you bring in names like tad Moore, tp mills, Byron, machine, lajosi, etc. with these club makers you are generally getting a one off club made for you with everything you want to include hosel location, offset, toe hang, weight, milling patterns and head material.

The later are more one man shops and it can take time to get your order completed but you can get what you want. You mentioned you like feel, go with a deep milled copper and you get about as soft a feel putter as you can get.

Good luck in your search and be sure to show us what you get

I agree with you guys, those are all fantastic companies. I love Lamont's stuff but it's probably out of my price range, same with Byron. Low tide looks cool but they seem hard to get ahold of. I've emailed twice with questions and never got responses

I agree with you guys, those are all fantastic companies. I love Lamont's stuff but it's probably out of my price range, same with Byron. Low tide looks cool but they seem hard to get ahold of. I've emailed twice with questions and never got responses

Since price seems to be a big consideration look at Lajosi and Xenon. Exchange rate is good for Lajosi and Xenon makes a great putter although they can be a bit more artistic than your traditional Newport/Anser shape

New Byron DH89 carbon steel and SSS putters are around $500. The GSS version are 1k+. All are available in 330g, 350g and 375g heads. I spent some time in his shop a couple weeks ago looking at some of the options, and I'm extremely tempted to order one. Funny... my office is literally 1000' from his shop... and I never knew it til recently. I've worked here for 13 years. lol

Since price seems to be a big consideration look at Lajosi and Xenon. Exchange rate is good for Lajosi and Xenon makes a great putter although they can be a bit more artistic than your traditional Newport/Anser shape

Yeh Kari has some good deals on putters and I've heard nothing but great things about them. Everyone seems obsessed with Byrons and they look nice but don't understand the price for them as they look like any other Scotty/Betti/etc but cost twice as much. How does the feel/roll compare between the other mentioned brands? (Piretti, lajosi, TP mills, machine, Xenon, Toulon)

e68c326992c8dcadbc148a84d32e0c3a.jpg

If you really like the anser style and not afraid to step out of the box. Look at some of JDM putters. They are handmade or machine milled and soft as butter. I currently game a Yamada(see pic) by far the best putter I've ever owned. They run in the $350-1000 range.
If money not object look at epon putters. Imho jdm putters out class 90% of USA based putters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh Kari has some good deals on putters and I've heard nothing but great things about them. Everyone seems obsessed with Byrons and they look nice but don't understand the price for them as they look like any other Scotty/Betti/etc but cost twice as much. How does the feel/roll compare between the other mentioned brands? (Piretti, lajosi, TP mills, machine, Xenon, Toulon)

A decent lajosi will run $500 min. You can pick up a stock lajosi for $300, buts what's the point. It's bland and looks like any other putter out there. When I get some extra money(xmas bonus) I'm getting a lajosi Damascus putter.

A custom made Scotty/Betti/Tyson Lamb will run you well over the price for a Byron. In my opinion, what you are paying for is the time of a craftsman to build exactly what you want. Feel is very subjective and can be altered by changing material, milling pattern, face thickness etc. If I want a clicky putter it can be made, it I want a soft feel, it can be made. Roll can be equal on any of the putters if properly fit.

I've heard wonderful things about the putters from Black Lab Golf; the level of customization available seems to be especially impressive.

I'd recommend looking at Bettinardi - depending on your budget, of course.

I'll second Low Tide. I have one and yes they were a little difficult to get in touch with but I liked the putter, just wished I rolled it a little better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

e68c326992c8dcadbc148a84d32e0c3a.jpg

If you really like the anser style and not afraid to step out of the box. Look at some of JDM putters. They are handmade or machine milled and soft as butter. I currently game a Yamada(see pic) by far the best putter I've ever owned. They run in the $350-1000 range.
If money not object look at epon putters. Imho jdm putters out class 90% of USA based putters.

The Epons and Yamadas do look nice! I've heard great things about Miura putters as well (if we're talking JDM), anyone roll any of these?

A decent lajosi will run $500 min. You can pick up a stock lajosi for $300, buts what's the point. It's bland and looks like any other putter out there. When I get some extra money(xmas bonus) I'm getting a lajosi Damascus putter.

Yeh, his Damascus putters are incredible! Unfortunately, well over my budget though. I don't plan on this being the last putter I buy (far from it haha) but looking to add a nice middle price-point piece to the collection. Maybe I will have to go with a bigger brand to get what I want at the cost I can afford, guess we will see. Has anyone compared the SS vs Carbon Piretti's? Also, anyone know the feel and roll of the machine putters with the VMG grooves? The Miuras Ive found have a unique mill pattern as well, wonder what they feel like/roll like.... Ideally, I want a soft (but not mushy) putter with some response and that gives a pure/consistent roll

Feel/sound is very subjective and will vary based on several factors in a putters construction. Plus my definition of soft may be mushy to you. I have tried stainless and carbon Piretti putters and for the same model I don't feel much difference between carbon and stainless.

Any putters roll can always be pure and consistent given a proper fitting based in how you swing the putter. For example given the same putter with the only difference being the loft you will get 2 different roll patterns.

To me it sounds like you need to try putters to find what you want. If you want to go boutique then buy and sell until you get what you want. If that doesnt seem like a viable approach then stick to putters that are available in big box stores.

I've heard wonderful things about the putters from Black Lab Golf; the level of customization available seems to be especially impressive.

Yeh Chip's putters look amazing, especially for the price! Anyone have any experience rolling one of these??

I'd recommend looking at Bettinardi - depending on your budget, of course.

Bettinardis are nice but the honeycomb face is too firm for me... only like the FIT face. Anyone ever roll a Carbon Putter? Their Ringo won most wanted blade on MGS 2 years ago but I've never seen or rolled one in person

Back