Thinnedit84

Reaction score
Handicap
By height
How many of you know this term way to well? We all love and care for our significant others, but how many times has golf taken the front seat?
I was in a previous long term relationship and for a solid 5 years of it played golf In some form or fashion every day somehow. I played at work, played weekends, played in rain/sleet and snow, played 36 or more a day. I played on birthdays and holidays (including Christmas), skipped all sorts of dates with her. Every chance I had I would sneak away or find an excuse to go play or practice. Golf truly took over my life for a while and I don't regret it. I've got some real funny stories and memories from those years I'll never forget.
I know there are plenty of you out there who understand this. Has golf ever gotten in the way?
259ef9853b43863619bcdb14ca0507b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully, at the time in my life when I met my wife, I was playing golf 7 days a week. 36 on Saturdays and Sundays. Now my 3 days a week seems like nothing :)

My wife is generally understanding. She wants me to be outside and wants me to be doing things I enjoy.

That said, I try to schedule my golf to not interfere with family activities too much. Whenever possible, I play early in the morning to be back before the family has been up long, or if she's taking a nap I'll take advantage of it and use that for an opportunity for a quick trip to the range.

My wife probably feels that way from time to time but it ain't the 1st time she's been mad and won't be the last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife enjoys having the house to herself on Thursday nights. I also play very early on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings - I occasionally get 18 in and am home before she gets out of bed :D

I am lucky in that my wife encourages me to play whenever I get a chance. Unless I am on vacation, it is weekends only. On the rare occasion that she does want to do something on a weekend day that prohibits me from playing that day, I don't hesitate to leave golf behind for a day to do whatever she wants to do.

I slipped up once in 10 years and played golf on a weekend before a big business trip followed by a golf trip. The wife let me know how she felt and I have not made the mistake again

I think its safe to assume that golf (like just about any other obsession or addiction) has ruined its share of marriages.

Wife fully supports my golfing.

When she says, "go away, go do something. Play golf!" I know that it's out of sheer love and support. ?

My wife isn't the greatest fan of me playing golf but her mum and grandparents are far more unforgiving about it, haha!

I used to play football (soccer) 4 or 5 times a week so in terms of time, I actually spend less on golf than I did the football but try telling any of them that!

I love my wife and kids too much to leave them out of my life. I do understand the love of this game can be strong. So for me, when I was younger and had kids at home, I didn't play golf much. But I always knew it was there. Now the kids are grown and on their own (though there is this wonderful thing called grandchildren). So I have more time for golf. Oh and did I mention my wife likes to play? Not as much as I do. But she understands and it is great when we can play together.

I averaged 150 rounds per year when I first got married 23 years ago living in Minnesota. As soon as our first was born a few years later my number of rounds per year went to about 35-40(or less) living in sunny California. Golf took such a backseat for about 15 years that I probably averaged no more than 3 or 4 non-vacation weekend rounds per year. A couple of years ago my middle child got her license which easily doubled my annual number of golf rounds.

Looking back I wouldn't do it any different - I'm damn glad that my free time was focused on my kids and family time. Now I can play 15+ times per month and I kind of miss coaching and having 3 kids that actually need me in some way daily. Luckily I still get to play golf with my 19-year-old or 12-year old at least a couple day per week during the summer.

The way I look at it, I was blessed to log 3,000 rounds befoe my kids were born and I'm hoping to get in at least that many in after they are no longer under my roof!

Last edited:
My wife encourages me to go out when there's no family obligations, but I'll normally just head to the range rather than take off for half the day. Especially during the summer, my wife's a teacher so she's at home with the kids all day during the week, weekends I try to make sure she has time to decompress, head out for a bit, etc.

My kids are 16 and 11, before I know it they'll both be off and I'll miss them incredibly. So for now, I'm content to go to their competitions, games, karate lessons, you name it. One day I'll have plenty of time for golf, but for now, my focus is purely on the kids.

I play around 50 rounds a year, most of those being on weekdays. I don't like taking 4-6 hours on a weekend day away from the wife and kids, not really fair. My work gives me a lot of flexibility and it's less crowded on weekdays anyways.

My wife is pretty good about me playing golf, she knows it's my sanity saver. The biggest challenge for me is balancing golf, kids and home projects. I hate missing time with my kids and there's just not enough time to get everything in.

Kids are out of the house. The wife golfs with me. She has it as bad as I do, maybe more

oh, golf has definitely gotten in the way! i like to think i'm better about it now, but my wife would likely disagree.

my wife's family treats birthdays with a lot more fanfare than my family does. it's not a birthDAY, it's more like a birthWEEK (and sometimes longer). even though we dated for about 3 years before getting married, i guess it never really sunk in for me that once we were married, i would be responsible for carrying on this tradition in our household.

fast-forward to our first year of marriage. i'm pursuing my second degree in what is now my career. i'm laser-focused, working 40 hours and taking a full class load. at the time, i was taking probably the hardest class an accounting major will ever take, and it was a struggle. it was a 7am-10am class, and without a curve a good test grade was in the 40s. my wife was doing a residency and was crazy busy as well. we were basically roommates, barely seeing each other. her family was 400 miles away, and she was struggling with stress, homesickness, etc.

naturally, she was really looking forward to her birthday and some much-needed happiness. on that day, i had a HUGE test in my hard class. i had been studying my a$$ off, and woke up really early the day of to keep studying. so to reward myself, i played golf. she beats me home, expecting me to be there to start the festivities. festivities i didn't even know i needed to have planned! she calls to check on me, and finds out that i am wrapping up from the golf course, hot and sweaty, with nothing big planned.

many tears were shed that night, my friends. and an indelible memory was unfortunately etched in her mind. that was probably the day she realized golf would forever be her competition for my affection.

My wife encourages me to play as much as I want. We don't have children, and she has her own hobbies, so we have a very relaxed "time together/time apart" philosophy.

Probably used golf yrs ago to escape marital issues. Learned - now take my sons golfing with me. Wife? What wife?

Hah... It's a delicate balance sometimes. Fo Sho!

Got in many arguments over golf with my ex. Golf got in the way only because it was my way of escaping a bad marriage. Now my current spouse encourages me to play. She knows what it means to me and knew that from the beginning of our relationship. She's never tried to change me or get in the way. I've encouraged her to play with me but she knows that is my time away from it all. She tried playing but she couldn't keep up with my "attitude" towards golf. HA! :act-up:

We date for 6 years and she knew how much golf meant to me - so she doesn't balk now that we're newly married. Plus she enjoys sleeping in every weekend which works great - because I'm up early and can get 9 or 18 in before she even wakes up!

My wife's pretty good about things, and feeds my habit by buying me golf clothes (I have more golf shirts than I can use LOL), but I try to balance things to be fair. I don't play that often (15'ish times a year...although I'm trying to figure ways to get in more). I can practice here at home (little home made simulator), and I work from home, so practice doesn't get in the way of family in the evenings. When I escape for a round it's for 9 holes in the morning during the week (This is one of the ways I'm looking to increase frequency).

What also really helps, is she has a friend from work who's husband is constantly playing, spending like crazy on the game and she complains to my wife about it all the time.....so my wife thinks she is getting off easy LOL LOL!

My wife is very understanding and supportive. She knows that golf is my outlet and it's one thing I really enjoy.

She's let me come to numerous THP events, guys trips and she even came with me to Pinehurst a couple of years ago.

I do try and be respectful and schedule my tee times early in the mornings on weekends so we still have the afternoon to go do things together. That has allowed me the ability to play much more than I would have playing later in the morning.

My wife is super cool about my golf obsession, we have been married 2 years and have played 60+ rounds both years we have been married.

I book tee times on the weekend that makes it that we are done before noon, so she still has the whole afternoon to plan activities. During the week, if I'm going to the course, I make sure she knows in plenty of time to plan accordingly. So far so good...

Back