Trying To Break 90 Club

I just checked my handicap sheet, and all my scores that count are between 89 (only once) and 92... I am painfully close to breaking 90 on a consistent basis, it will happen this season
Good stuff Marty! Keep grinding man

yeah, that would help for sure, however I really feel like it would help me more if I was not punching my second shot from under the trees 10 times a round....

yeah...worse when that turns into a double...are you tracking stats like up/down, putts, shots from 100 and in?

yeah...worse when that turns into a double...are you tracking stats like up/down, putts, shots from 100 and in?

nah, I should but I dont. I will try that

I played an executive course to test my iron game. I came in +17 which is bogie golf technically. Also my best round at this course by 7 strokes. I missed quite a few putts due to punched greens ... They told me after I paid :(.

I paid close attention to my swing tempo and getting my weight to my lead side. This led to me airmailing several shots yards over the green. I wanted to trust that distance but that's a tough change mid round.

Other than swings in my office I had not played since Thursday. Today was a step in the right direction. I will probably have 3-4 more rounds by week's end to determine if the few days away helped and reduced swing thoughts help me.

Oh yeah. I decided to eschew A Club Corp membership to join a club closer to my house. I think I need close access to a course to improve at my desired clip.

My last rounds have been 82-87-86-88-84 so I am very happy to be pretty stable under 90 now. So now it is time to move on to the "Under 80 thread", which will be a target for this season to reach (at least once)

nah, I should but I dont. I will try that

I've been tracking that stat. It can get depressing if you peek at the stats before the round is over. Most scorecards have enough lines to use to track several stats running at once: FIR, GIR, Putts, SIH (Shots inside a hundred), and penalties. If you're playing with others just grab an extra card for yourself.

I've been tracking that stat. It can get depressing if you peek at the stats before the round is over. Most scorecards have enough lines to use to track several stats running at once: FIR, GIR, Putts, SIH (Shots inside a hundred), and penalties. If you're playing with others just grab an extra card for yourself.

pretty much what I do...i try not to look to much during the round as well as the score. take it one shot at a time.

Last 3 rounds while on vacation 94, 106, 97. The round before I left was 96. Two of the vacation rounds were played in sun but on a soft muddy slog, lots of fat shots. I'm getting there. Driver is still killing me; even when I don't use it but 3-4 times a round.

Last 3 rounds while on vacation 94, 106, 97. The round before I left was 96. Two of the vacation rounds were played in sun but on a soft muddy slog, lots of fat shots. I'm getting there. Driver is still killing me; even when I don't use it but 3-4 times a round.

Regarding your driver issues, have you tried hitting it a bit softer and with a lower tee? That works excellent for me. When I try to smash it I will 9 out of 10 times get a nasty slice. Now when hotting it softer I am on fairway 8-9 times of 10 and hit the sweet spot more often, so I do not loose so much distance either. Could be worth a try if you have not tried it already

I think I should join this thread. I shot one 90, last year, on July 12th. Only been out a couple times this year due to travel, work and weather, but the schedule and such have cleared out and I really hope to get out enough to start getting under 90 once in a while. Shot a 48 for 9 holes last night, including 1 blow up and a handful of lip out putts - just couldn't get em to fall.

What stats are the most helpful? When I can I track FIR, irons, GIR and putts.

I think I should join this thread. I shot one 90, last year, on July 12th. Only been out a couple times this year due to travel, work and weather, but the schedule and such have cleared out and I really hope to get out enough to start getting under 90 once in a while. Shot a 48 for 9 holes last night, including 1 blow up and a handful of lip out putts - just couldn't get em to fall.

What stats are the most helpful? When I can I track FIR, irons, GIR and putts.

I usually keep track of FIR, GIR, putts, and penalties. I can usually fit it all unto my scorecard while I'm playing to make it easier. The eye opener stat for me is GIR. It's almost impossible to put up a high number if you are hitting GIR.

pretty much what I do...i try not to look to much during the round as well as the score. take it one shot at a time.

I will try that for my next round, how do you interpret them after the round? I imagine anything over 3 shots inside 100 is too much?

I will try that for my next round, how do you interpret them after the round? I imagine anything over 3 shots inside 100 is too much?

I compare total number of strokes from 100 and in and then look at up/down and # of putts. I am hoping to keep to 2-3 strokes(1 to get on green and 2 putt max).

Ex. If I'm 150 out and hit GIR the i should have max 2 strokes(2 putts). If i miss green then should be 1 chip/pitch and a 1 putt(but might mess up the chip and leave a long putt so 2 putts max)

you will be able to see if its short game with chips/pitches or putts or maybe duffing a full shot from 100 and in.

Even with 5 penalties on Sunday mornings round I still managed to almost get under 90. I've got to stop loosing strokes with poor tee shots or mental lapses that cost me a few shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I compare total number of strokes from 100 and in and then look at up/down and # of putts. I am hoping to keep to 2-3 strokes(1 to get on green and 2 putt max).

Ex. If I'm 150 out and hit GIR the i should have max 2 strokes(2 putts). If i miss green then should be 1 chip/pitch and a 1 putt(but might mess up the chip and leave a long putt so 2 putts max)

you will be able to see if its short game with chips/pitches or putts or maybe duffing a full shot from 100 and in.

all right I will check that out.

I have seen a suggestion on a different thread to record realistic GiR chances instead of FiR and I realised that most of the time, I had to punch out and/or lay up on par 4s and 5s. this is why I was thinking about working on tee game more than the short game, but I think this will help assess my game too

Regarding your driver issues, have you tried hitting it a bit softer and with a lower tee? That works excellent for me. When I try to smash it I will 9 out of 10 times get a nasty slice. Now when hotting it softer I am on fairway 8-9 times of 10 and hit the sweet spot more often, so I do not loose so much distance either. Could be worth a try if you have not tried it already

I'm not really slicing or hooking it. I'm just not hitting it well. I'll pop it up one time, then catch it way thin the next...then drop kick it after that. The problem is every one of those swings "feels" the same...until impact. I used to be able to pummel this thing; now it feels like I can't even hit the face, let alone the sweet spot.

My 3w is a little bit cleaner, though it's been thin (and developed a weak fade) lately too. My irons, especially mid irons, have been great though.

I'm pretty similar to emart in my tracking/thinking. I use SIH to tell me how many short shots I needed to get on the green from <100 and putts tracks only putts made on the green. If I putt from the fringe or off the green somewhere I count that in the SIH column.

An ideal par four would look like this under my reckoning:

Score: <=4
FW: X
GIR: X
SIH: 0
Putts: <3
Penalty: 0

Pretty clear and how a good player can expect to play a hole. FTR I can only recall one such example on my recent scorecards.

My typical par four might look something like this:

Score: 6
FW:
GIR:
SIH: 2
Putts: 1
Penalty: 1

The above might reveal a shot sequence something like:

Tee shot into lateral hazard (FW missed).
Drop (penalty stroke, no chance for GIR)
Third shot advance the ball to 80yds.
Fourth shot wedge short on front apron. (SIH)
Putt from front apron to 3 feet (SIH)
Putt holed (putt).

Takeaways from the above:

Penalty due to errant shot (1 stroke lost).
2 SIH = missed chance for up and down (1 stroke lost).

In my way of tallying things I would like to see SIH <2 and putts <3. Granted there are some scenarios where I might miss what could be perceived as a stroke lost (above, for instance, if my wedge had reached the green but still left a long putt I would wind up with SIH=1 and Putts=2, which would be within the target range, but without improving the score on the hole), but overall it works pretty well for the most part.

Not saying it's the best way, just another of many ways to do it.

all right I will check that out.

I have seen a suggestion on a different thread to record realistic GiR chances instead of FiR and I realised that most of the time, I had to punch out and/or lay up on par 4s and 5s. this is why I was thinking about working on tee game more than the short game, but I think this will help assess my game too

Tee game can help too. my scores tended to blow up when i hit wayward tee shots. but now with a better short game i can usually take what would have been a double and get it to a bogey or sometimes par.

I say work on both and not worry so much about tracking FIR because you might hit a good shot and not make the fairway but be just off. To track your tee game try this method of scoring your tee shot.

FIR=1, a good miss(just off the fairway with a shot to the green) =2, Poor tee shot would be where you can only advance the ball towards the green but no real shot = 3, No shot (where you have to punch out or play backwards) = 4, Penalty stroke(ie take a unplayable or drop) = 5, OB or lost = 6. don't score par 3s

Tee game can help too. my scores tended to blow up when i hit wayward tee shots. but now with a better short game i can usually take what would have been a double and get it to a bogey or sometimes par.

I say work on both and not worry so much about tracking FIR because you might hit a good shot and not make the fairway but be just off. To track your tee game try this method of scoring your tee shot.

FIR=1, a good miss(just off the fairway with a shot to the green) =2, Poor tee shot would be where you can only advance the ball towards the green but no real shot = 3, No shot (where you have to punch out or play backwards) = 4, Penalty stroke(ie take a unplayable or drop) = 5, OB or lost = 6. don't score par 3s

What do you count the ones that are chunked/ dropkicked, or popped up. Still land in the FW but only go about 130 yds.

What do you count the ones that are chunked/ dropkicked, or popped up. Still land in the FW but only go about 130 yds.

depending on what you have left, I would score them as "poor tee shot would be where you can only advance the ball towards the green but no real shot = 3" if you cant reach the green, or "a good miss(just off the fairway with a shot to the green) =2" if you can reach it anways.

being able to reach the green would be relative to what your iron play looks like obviously. I personally do not expect t hit the green from longer than 170. it can happen, but I'm not holding my breath ;)

depending on what you have left, I would score them as "poor tee shot would be where you can only advance the ball towards the green but no real shot = 3" if you cant reach the green, or "a good miss(just off the fairway with a shot to the green) =2" if you can reach it anways.

being able to reach the green would be relative to what your iron play looks like obviously. I personally do not expect t hit the green from longer than 170. it can happen, but I'm not holding my breath ;)

humm ... I think I like that much better than just FIR.

Back