Mizuno Shaft Optimizer

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
What's the general consensus on the fitting accuracy of the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer system?

What's the general consensus on the fitting accuracy of the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer system?

I think it's a great tool to start from in the fitting process. But I've never ended up with what it recommended.

Anecdotal, but It produced good results for me. Two of the shafts it suggested are shafts that I've liked for a long time. It's also really consistent so I trust the "DNA" aspect of it - KBS Tour, my favorite shaft, has been the consistent #1 suggestion the three times I have tried it. First soft stepped then straight in after a swing change.

It has been several years since I have done it, but when I did it put me with what turned out to be a better match (Nippon 950GH) than anything I had previously used.

Anecdotal, but It produced good results for me. Two of the shafts it suggested are shafts that I've liked for a long time. It's also really consistent so I trust the "DNA" aspect of it - KBS Tour, my favorite shaft, has been the consistent #1 suggestion the three times I have tried it. First soft stepped then straight in after a swing change.

Kind of the reason I'm asking now. I've used it in the last and the last three times the suggestion was the exact same. Yesterday I got tossed a major curveball on it.

A few years back it recommended the PX 6.0 for me....Worse shaft I have ever had in a set of irons...

Just didn't work for me,,,but,,,I probably don't have two swings that are the same!!!

*start shameless plug*

James and I had a conversation about Mizuno fitting in the latest episode of On The Tee Box. If one hasn't, they can listen here https://www.thehackersparadise.com/tee-box-volume-7-cobra-connect-honma-golf-mizuno-fitting/ or use the mobile app.

*end shameless plug*

I've done it a few times, but two were when it first came out. I like it, I used it for my JPX900 iron fitting. Gave me 3 options in steel, which I hit but didn't want as I prefer graphite. But numbers wise, and ball flight wise, the top option it gave me was C Taper Lite, and I hit that very well that day on the range. I think what they have is a great starting point because companies offer a lot of shafts, and lets face it, people don't know. This gives a good introduction and also starts narrowing down the focus on 2-4 shafts, vs saying here's our catalog.

In my experience with it and watching my fitter use it with others I think it's a pretty good tool to narrow down shaft choices and then use top 2-3 recommendations to see what fits best

Kind of the reason I'm asking now. I've used it in the last and the last three times the suggestion was the exact same. Yesterday I got tossed a major curveball on it.

Was it a completely different profile shaft suggestion? It could be that the catalog changed so that "optimal" changed. I know for instance that a few of the shafts have switched in and out as new shafts entered the lineup. But the KBS has always been a mainstay for me.

Was it a completely different profile shaft suggestion? It could be that the catalog changed so that "optimal" changed. I know for instance that a few of the shafts have switched in and out as new shafts entered the lineup. But the KBS has always been a mainstay for me.

In years past it was always KBS Tour X. Yesterday it was PX 6.5.

In years past it was always KBS Tour X. Yesterday it was PX 6.5.

Way back when I did it, I used to get KBS Tour S and PX 6.0. With one set I went KBS and the next set I went PX. Because both performed, but the feel of KBS was lovely and PX absolutely destroyed my forearm/elbow. In terms of fit though, they were pretty much spot on at the time.

^^^^ This fit me into KBS and it's now my favorite shaft on the market

Way back when I did it, I used to get KBS Tour S and PX 6.0. With one set I went KBS and the next set I went PX. Because both performed, but the feel of KBS was lovely and PX absolutely destroyed my forearm/elbow. In terms of fit though, they were pretty much spot on at the time.

My current shaft was in the Top 3 so regardless I'm ok. Now I'm just intrigued at what's possible.

Extremely accurate program. It can nail down an iron shaft for fitting in three swings and it gets the shaft weight right too.

Best thing is it exposes customers to some excellent shaft options they may not know about or consider.

My experience was excellent. I hit the top 3 shafts it identified. All went pretty well, but I was definitely able to zero in on one whose feel I liked the best.

I think it's a great tool for fitters too. I don't think the guy at Golfsmith usually has a lot of idea what shaft would be right for you. He picks a couple based on past fittings or what the company offers stock and if the numbers look OK, he exclaims "that's the perfect shaft for you." By giving them a list of shafts to try based on some data, I think they are more likely to get you in a shaft that is closer to correct than by just guessing.

Back