Best Famous Amateur Golfer

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Sitting here watching the American Center Championship and Mark Mulder is back on top again. So it got me thinking who is the best famous amateur golfer? Would think Mulder has to be on the top or close. He's beating Romo and Curry

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

*Century * not Center

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rick Rhoden

Bobby Jones is famous and was an amateur so that is my answer.

Canadan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my vote is for Francis Ouimet, he's certainly the most important US amateur.

Bobby Jones... No doubt about it.

Bobby jones

Robert Jones, no one else comes close

Just read that Bobby Jones retired from competition at the ripe old age of 28.

?

Absolutely amazing, considering all that he'd accomplished.

How about someone you've never heard of who is famous to those who know him...

Doug Roxburgh will be competing this week in the BC Amateur Championship at Morgan Creek. He has missed the cut the past 2 years. This is noteworthy because he has only missed the cut one other time, and has played in every single BC Am since 1967! 13-time BC Amateur Champion, 4-time Canadian Amateur Champion.

That got off the rails quickly......

So are we talking best famous amateur right now, or all time?

So are we talking best famous amateur right now, or all time?

Pretty sure by famous (and with the examples given) the OP meant best "celebrity" golfer.

Hammy McInally from Ayrshire.
He was extra ordinary with a golf ball and still holds the amateur championship record of 10 and 8.

Sent from my SM-T719 using Tapatalk

I find Bobby Jones' old instructional videos on youtube very helpful.

I would have said Bobby Jones, although I saw quite a few amateurs over the weekend at the US Women's Open who are not-so-famous-yet.

Can't argue with Bobby Jones. But does "famous" mean best amateur golfer? I can see Bing Crosby as an example of a good golfer, who I think initiated the Pebble Beach Tournament. There are so many more.

Can't argue with Bobby Jones. But does "famous" mean best amateur golfer? I can see Bing Crosby as an example of a good golfer, who I think initiated the Pebble Beach Tournament. There are so many more.

But unlike Bing, Bobby was a true gent.

Lucy Li.

FrancisOuimet1913.jpg

Without him we'd miss the generation of great golfers like Gene Sarazen, Bobby Jones, even Walter Hagen who's about to pursuit a career in baseball but made a promise to young Quimet to return the following year.

He beat 2 of the world's best golfers of his time. There's something to be said about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back