Do you play for a yardage?

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
C.A.eleric asked a question in the Steelhead Xr thread that got me wondering: do you play for a certain yardage for each club or do you just swing away and hope for the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a close idea of what each club will do so i swing for yardage for sure

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I play to yardages and take that I to consideration on the tee

I try to play for a certain "range of yardage" on almost all short and mid-length par 4s. Sometimes it's because I want a certain shot/club into the green and other times I'll tee off with a club that takes the most hazards out of play.
Playing like this has helped me to lower my average scores quite a bit this season, and I've made more birdies.

I play to a certain spot figured at each tee box knowing my yardage and how far my clubs go. I even practice this way on the range. I will practice certain holes on the range also this was something my father taught me as a child.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Do you play for a yardage?

I have a yardage for everything but driver, and a rough estimate for driver to know when I can't play it due to length or hazards.

Yardage for sure like Army especially if it's a course I've played many times. I know where I want to be around and will shot my best to that yardage. I will do what I can to get a wedge in my hand unless it brings hazards into play. On long par 4 and 5 I hope for the best and pick a shape I can see and trust my swing

I have a good idea of what my yardage is with each club, so that helps with club selection off the tee and in.

I spend a lot of time dialing in my yardages with each club and different types of shots: full, 3/4, 1/2, knockdown. Similarly, I work to dial in yardages with different kinds of wedge pitches and chips.

This is something that really changes depending on where we are in developing our game. When I was a beginner it was a guess. Then it was the range of distance and dispersion I got 80% of the time (because my contact was still inconsistent). As my contact got more consistent I had to redo this over and over.

Right now I got a new set of irons fitted and I'm going through the process again.

I think about it most on short par 4's and second shots on par 5's.

with driver and fairway wood, absolutely not. i won't dial back or choke up. i have different clubs that go different distances for a reason. i probably don't try to dial back hybrid either but i have to think about that a little more.

with irons, wedges and putter yes i will try to hit specific yardages.

C.A.eleric asked a question in the Steelhead Xr thread that got me wondering: do you play for a certain yardage for each club or do you just swing away and hope for the best?

I play to a number if I can't reach the green.

I think about it most on short par 4's and second shots on par 5's.

This is my philosophy as well. On a short par 4, I wont hit my driver if I can hit my 2h off the tee to at least the distance of my 7i. On the second shot of a par 5, I will try to hit a club that is gets me into that 7i range.

I play to a yardage if I know I can't reach on my second shot. If I pull my driver I am going all out. If not it will be a 3W or 5W. Its very rare for me to go off the tee with an iron on a par 4.

In all honesty, I do not play for a yardage off the tee. Being a bit inconsistent distance wise with the driver, on the same hole I could be anywhere from 75 yds to the green to 150+ yards to the green. It all just really depends on how good I am swinging that day.

If I play less than driver, I could be anywhere in that yardage range as well. Do I gamble and hope to be closer to the 75-100 yard range with the driver, or have an even longer if I mishit another club off the tee?

The most consistent club for me off the tee to gobble up yardage is driver. Accurate the majority of the time. It comes from having to hit driver at least 75% of the time on the course to hopefully make a GIR.

I would rather deal with being too close to the green, or being inbetween irons on an approach. There are enough times here that I have to still hit something like Driver/HW/7iron into a green, I don't want to have to hit 3W/HW/HW lol.

with driver and fairway wood, absolutely not. i won't dial back or choke up. i have different clubs that go different distances for a reason. i probably don't try to dial back hybrid either but i have to think about that a little more.

with irons, wedges and putter yes i will try to hit specific yardages.

Do you take into consideration par 4 or 5 total distance before choosing to hit driver, wood, hybrid or ironso that you end up at a certain distance off the tee or maybe on a 3 shot par 5 on what distance you want into the green?

I choose my club off the tee to avoid trouble. I pull clubs for approach shots to hit a specific yardage: a) either to reach the green or b) to setup my next shots desired distance or avoidance of risk.

Dave

I used to a lot more than I do now. I've been playing more aggressive, I tried playing back to a distance today for a while and it just doesn't work for me anymore. Unless there's a lot of trouble or a chance of running of of fairway I'm trying to get as close to the green as possible.

Do you take into consideration par 4 or 5 total distance before choosing to hit driver, wood, hybrid or ironso that you end up at a certain distance off the tee or maybe on a 3 shot par 5 on what distance you want into the green?

good question and without a doubt my answer is "yes." i'm not a bomb and gouge guy. hit driver where i can but always willing to pull something shorter if the hole dictates.

i took the question to ask whether you hit every club full out, or try to hit certain distances. so if my driver is my 260 club, will i try to dial it back and hit it 240? my answer is no, never. if i only need 240, i'll try to hit a full fw and be ok if i'm a little short.

good question and without a doubt my answer is "yes." i'm not a bomb and gouge guy. hit driver where i can but always willing to pull something shorter if the hole dictates.

i took the question to ask whether you hit every club full out, or try to hit certain distances. so if my driver is my 260 club, will i try to dial it back and hit it 240? my answer is no, never. if i only need 240, i'll try to hit a full fw and be ok if i'm a little short.

Cool. I'll consider trouble either in landing area or where potential roll out would be and then determine if it's driver, wood, hybo or some sort of iron. I have a good idea of carry distances with all my clubs including partial shots and which partial distances I'm most comfortable with and have that in my mind as ok if it rolls out more where do I want to be

Cool. I'll consider trouble either in landing area or where potential roll out would be and then determine if it's driver, wood, hybo or some sort of iron. I have a good idea of carry distances with all my clubs including partial shots and which partial distances I'm most comfortable with and have that in my mind as ok if it rolls out more where do I want to be

I think a lot of it has to do with the set of tees one chooses to play. Personally I tend to play 6600-7000 yds so it's always Driver or 3w off tees and 6i - 20* Epic hybrid on par 3s.

I try to hit it to these numbers if possible.

Yardage for every club but driver. Driver is swing away. If there is a hazard off the tee I contemplate using a 3 Hybrid.

I think a lot of it has to do with the set of tees one chooses to play. Personally I tend to play 6600-7000 yds so it's always Driver or 3w off tees and 6i - 20* Epic hybrid on par 3s.

I play anywhere from 6100 - 6700 and I will hit anywhere from a 5i thru driver on par 4 and 5. I played 6661 yesterday and hit 4i on 2 par 4s, 3w on a par 4 and again on a par 5. The par 4 was 338 and there is a bunker in play where the 3w plays to and I could have easily played a 4,5,6 or even a 7i on that hole to give me a yardage that was a full swing instead of my 3/4 50* or the way I was hitting driver to say eff it and see how close I could get and deal with whatever trouble I might find closer to the green.

Normally if it's under 380 and longer than 340 I'll hit 3w. Under 340 will be hybo, 4i or 5i depending on pin location and any fairway bunkers or other trouble

I have a vague idea what club will go what distance with my irons. Off the tee, I just try to get it out as far as I can while avoiding trouble. I am a bunter, distance-wise, so I usually don't reach most bunkers/water.

Back