Do you invest in golf clubs?

So the question is, do you expect a financial return on investment (ROI) from your clubs? No.

Something that's come up in a handful of threads is a club's value on the secondary market, and people lamenting that a company's frequent releases drives down a club's value.

So the question is, do you expect a financial return on investment (ROI) from your clubs? What is an acceptable ROI for you? Does it drive your decision making in terms of club purchases -- that is, would you buy a certain company over another with an expectation that one company's products will retain value? Would you compromise performance for value over time?

I would call what I do "hoarding" before I'd ever call it investing.

They are a luxury for me pure and simple.

JM

I couldn't imagine buying clubs as an investment haha is that even possible? I absolutely buy them knowing I'll never come close to getting what I paid and I'm ok with that

Investing in a depreciating asset is never a good idea, with the possible exception of a spouse, and then only if you do your due diligence first.

I hope it's an investment in better scores :angel:. When I purchase a club I buy it knowing that I won't be able to sell it for anything approaching what I paid for it in most cases. I usually don't buy something as soon as it is released. I will usually wait until it is discounted or find one used and typically sell something I already own to offset the cost of the new to me item.

No, and I think the concept is silly.

I look at the clubs I have bought over the last year as investment. These are clubs that I can use as game gets better. When purchasing a new club the last thing on my mind is the resale value of that club. I love the clubs i have. The only place I may look to change is in my hybrids.

I took a lot heat for being upset about the Callaway Big Bertha 815 price drop on a thread I started. The honest truth i love the club but i was just a little pissed that Callaway dropped the price $150 in season.

Nope. I buy my clubs to use them and I expect them to lose half their value the second I walk out of the store or click the payment button. Definitely an entertainment/enjoyment purchase to me.

Definitely not as an investment to turn a profit, but as a quality tool used for my hobby... Sure.

I spend 3-4 days a week (during March/April-October/November) on the course so I can justify spending some hard earned money on something I love to do.

No I don't buy them for investment purposes but it frustrates me that a club I bought a month ago for over $400 dollars is worth less than half that in trade value, depreciation is a fact of life but that to me is absurd.
But if a club is worth $400 to you at the time of purchase, and you don't buy it with any intent to recoup that $400 through resale, what difference does it make if it depreciates 25, 50, or 99% the day after you bought it? Do you think it matters to the OEM if a retailer drastically reduces the price/value of a product?

I guess I look at it like a poker player. Bets, or the chips I put in, are only worth something at the moment I put them in play. If I discover I could have gotten the information I wanted, or won the pot, or lost the pot, for a fraction of what I put in the middle, doesn't change how much that decision was worth to me at the time. In golf terms, the discovery that a club has been marked down two weeks after I bought it doesn't change how much the club was worth to me at the time of purchase because I'm not expecting to recoup any of the money I spent. If, somehow, I do get back some of that money, then bully for me.

I just think it's interesting that people are upset about golf OEM's doing things that drive down the value of a given golf club, including clubs they own, but are also claiming they have zero expectation of getting any money back from the clubs they've purchased.

This is a hobby and a way to stay sane, these clubs are more like a mental health tool (in my case). Buy them enjoy them and move on.

Nope I buy them with the intention of using them i sometimes i have trouble selling them because i think i might need them again

In the grand scheme of things does it really matter at the end of the day how I feel towards the value of a club I just bought? You asked a question and I answered it honestly about how I felt, I don't like the fact that todays $425.00 is worth $176.00 4 weeks later, it may not bother you but it pisses me off.

I expect my ROI to be -25% but yes because I am a frequent trader future value impacts my buying decision. I seldom buy new release equipment brand new but if I NEED something that was recently released I will look for used here or Ebay. I don't expect a positive ROI on anything I buy but I have more than once bought something blind at a price that I knew if I did not like it I could get most or all of my money back. There are very few well stocked golf shops nearby and hitting a club indoors or at a demo day with 100's of people waiting to try never worked for me so my purchases are often prepaid demo's that I plan on getting my money back by reselling if they don't pan out. I hope that makes sense, it does to me...

The price I was quoted on my used clubs at Golfsmith was so low that it wasn't worth trading them.

I take amazing care of my equipment. That being said I never expect a big return on it.

Even if I end up keeping clubs for a long time, it is nice to know that they are retaining value. Ability to hold relatively higher resale value won't be a primary factor in buying decisions, but I will keep it in mind. With mountain biking and skiing, I used to upgrade gear frequently. I well understand the gear value-game.

I buy what works well for my game at the time. When it comes time to resell them, I get what I get and know that I enjoyed the clubs while I had them what is what matters most to me. So, no.

It is an entirely normal and understandable feeling to be annoyed if you pay $400 for something only to see the value closer to $200 shortly after. I can't fault anyone for being at least annoyed by that.

But when I buy a club I hope it is one that I love, works well for me, and something I am not going to want to sell.

I guess it depends on your expectations. If you are someone who changes clubs frequently or not. If so (yearly or bi yearly) then I can see how it could bother some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, If i end up selling a club its because I no longer want it so im not to concerned about the $$$.

I've never looked at them as an investment, but I have always tried to purchase my clubs used and at a good value, so I can sell them for close to what I bought them for when I'm ready to try something new.

The only ROI I expect from my golf clubs is good workmanship, that they are built to the specifications promised, and they hold up under years of normal use. Some clubs hold their value better than others, but I think its because of the manufacturer reputation as much as anything else.

Back