Do you forward press with your putter?

Do you forward press with your putter?

• Total voters
I used to, then I stopped, then I recently started again, and it's done wonders to improve my sense of pace, rhythm, and relaxation over the ball.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I used to press a lot (see PM) but I've since become a lot more neutral and have seen good results.

Usually a little on lag putts

I do it when im putting up a slope or when the putt is more than 25ft. Im not sure why i do it but i feel like it gives it more topspin and helps me not leave the putt short.

I'm neutral, just something I never grew up doing.

I have just started a forward press and it helps keep the putter head square at impact. I had a tendency to not get the faced closed and would push a lot of putts. I have been putting much better since I started the forward press. That and the addition of my superstroke flatso 2.0

I have a slight forward press, its like a trigger for me, it's part of my routine.

Hells no. You won't catch me doing it.

Can't do that and not see the red dot. It's a no for me!

Yes I do. I choke down on the handle and rest the upper part against my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built my current Tank putter specifically for the amount of forward press I use.

this is the only answer that makes sense to me. if you build a putter with extra loft to accommodate the press (which I think Dave Stockton recommends), then I get it. otherwise, it seems like a way to add inconsistencies.

I love the way the Stockton stroke looks. it seems so square and so repeatable. but when I try to put it in practice, it changes my alignment and everything I got comfortable with prior to actually making the stroke. you get lined up, you look at your line, you look at your hole, maybe rinse and repeat, and then right before you're going to do the deed you change your hand position, the loft on the face, in a way the ball position, and potentially the alignment. I just don't get it.

I like the forward press. Seems "to me" that putting with a forward press keeps the ball on line a lot better. Without it I seem to see a lot more influence on the ball from the putting surface throughout the roll. With the forward press the ball just glides along without those little bounces and shifts.

Years ago a friend commented about my forward press. Up to that point, I had been putting totally unaware that I was using a forward press. It was so natural and instinctive I didn't even know I was doing it. I still have a slight forward press but it's not something I think about when I putt. It just happens.

Yep I've always done it. Even before I knew what a forward press was lol.

No not really every time I try it I am not happy with the results.

Back