luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Do you prefer metal or graphite shafts for your irons. Which is better?

I prefer graphite because they allow me to play every opportunity I get instead of sitting home with aggrevated arthritis in my upper arms / shoulders. Which is better pretty much varies by individual needs.

Better is personal preference for each golfer. I've played both and graphite are just as good or better than steel because they can do so much with compared to steel. I may switch back to graphite in my next set

I like steel but everytime I use my 19 degree hybrid with AXE Xcaliber iron shaft I ponder whether I should try them in my irons.

For me, its graphite easily. I've been playing recoils for 2 years and love everything about them when compared to steel. Graphite is stronger, more durable, and easier on the joints. I have a feeling 780 ES F4 will be my go-to shaft for quite a while.

I have graphite in 2 sets (stock Matrix in my Speedblades, and UST Recoils in my Steelheads) and Nippon Iron in my Srixons. I have been swapping between the threes sets this summer and much prefer the Graphite over the steel. The Nippon is probably the best steel shaft i have hit though.

I can safely say I prefer graphite. They can be made to play and feel just like steel but with much better vibration dampening making them much easier on your body. They're also by design much more efficient in how they work than steel. For me, it's a win/win playing graphite shafts.

Depends on the player, their club head speed, and how they load a club. Graphite feels good, but there isn't one that can perform as well as certain steel model shafts for me. So graphite still has room for improvement.

Horses for courses. I experimented with graphite in my irons and it didn't go well. I couldn't get the weight right, and the feel just wasn't there for me anymore. I switched to graphite mainly to help with my joint pain. Switching between steel, then graphite then back to steel made not one bit of difference to my joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's more to it than that. I recently went through a comprehensive fitting. Tried numerous models of shafts, some steel, some graphite and some steel/fiber. In the end the best fit for me was a specific make/model shaft in the steel category. But if you looked at all the shafts I tried you'd see there was no absolute answer by category--even for me. Just like some of the steel shafts performed poorly for me. Some of the steel/fiber performed quite well and some of the graphite outperformed some of the steel shafts.

Back