Least forgiving irons

play2win8989

Reaction score
Handicap
Too high
My iron play is inconsistent and while I do love my current set, they definitely mask some of my swing flaws. I want to pick up a set of "blades" and I want them to be the least forgiving model known to man kind. Bring on the stinging hands and 50 yard 8 iron slices I am ready. To be clear I have no intention of seriously gaming them, just want to practice.

But seriously, I ran a few searches and for some weird reason, all people are interested in are most forgiving, not least forgiving!

Can anyone make a suggestion on a set from, say, 2005 on that I could probably find online somewhere and which will severely severely severely punish mishits. Yes before someone says it I know most any MB style iron will, just wondering if there were some notoriously impossible blades to play.

More power to you if you want to punish yourself, but there were some mizuno lines that were more difficult to hit than their others. I think the mizuno MP 35 or 37's will give you what you for some reason want. Haha

More power to you if you want to punish yourself, but there were some mizuno lines that were more difficult to hit than their others. I think the mizuno MP 35 or 37's will give you what you for some reason want. Haha

Perfect dude. Thanks. Here is a review I found on them. LOL:

Reviewed by: The HP Man , Shoots in the 70s

Model Reviewed:
Mizuno MP37

Summary:
The truth is these are a demanding club. THey are more demanding than the MP 33,11,32,68 and any other Mizuno blade I have played. They are not for the guy that has an occasional fat shot or who does not hit it center. YOu can play the other Mizuno blades and get away with it. I found that the best thing about these clubs. I was getting kinds slack in my posture and setup. With these puppies you will pay the price of embarrassment. I am in love with these things. If you feel you are ready to become a true baller then get these and find some grass and get busy. If you have any swing flaws you will know them very well by the time you get to the 9 iron. They do not have a lot of offset at all. They are made backwards, the short irons have offset and the longer ones lose offset. I am telling you these are the clubs for the golfer who want to improve and hit a pure set of irons.

Trigger was pulled. Found 3-PW on Ebay for like $200. Can't wait for the hands to start stinging!!!!

I'm not sure I understand why but keep us updated if it helps your ball striking.

Just curious why you want to do it? Wouldnt practicing with your ones be more beneficial considering they are the irons you play.

I understand how hitting with these will make your usual irons seem fantastic.
But, isn't that like hitting your finger with a hammer because it feels good when you stop?

Just joking . I hear those blades are punishment though!!

Orlimar produced a set of scalpels, the sf302's, that are the sweetest-hitting, most finicky, irons I've ever played. The longer irons have negative bounce. They double as weed-whackers. I picked up a set (4-pw) for 20 and change. Hitting one of these clubs fat will, if you are facing west, set your watch back.

Just curious why you want to do it? Wouldnt practicing with your ones be more beneficial considering they are the irons you play.

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the concept of practicing with something harder and different than what you would play in a game. Little Leaguers don't get better at hitting baseballs by practicing swinging in the 95 mph cage.

For what you are planning to do, I would have gone with the is1 Impact Slot Trainer. But I realize you've already bought a set.

Kudos to you for trying something new. Sounds like fun on the range.

Thanks for the responses. To the little league analogy, actually it is pretty common to go to a batting cage and face slightly faster pitching, or similarly to put a donut on the bat during warm ups to slightly improve bat speed.

My objective is to learn how to middle my irons, which these blades will force me to do. Is that really so crazy?

Flies in the face of conventional wisdom but I did the same years and years ago to very positive effect.

Practiced with Hogan PC Blades and played with perimeter weighted irons. I made it a point to also hit my irons during range sessions so the difference in my shafts and and the clubs' feel didn't become foreign to me.

While doing this, I enjoyed the best 3 seasons of iron play that I ever had as my swing became shorter, more compact.

I'm not one to practice much anymore so I'm not inclined to try it again but I wish you luck.

Thanks for the responses. To the little league analogy, actually it is pretty common to go to a batting cage and face slightly faster pitching, or similarly to put a donut on the bat during warm ups to slightly improve bat speed.

My objective is to learn how to middle my irons, which these blades will force me to do. Is that really so crazy?

The donut is actually a good example for my thoughts on this, since it's been shown that it doesn't work. Adding weight for warmup swings has been shown to slow swing speed in both baseball and golf. As long as your irons can let you know where on the face you've hit the ball with feel and flight (and I think the PTx definitely do that - they aren't exactly SGI irons), I don't know how much gain you'll get from this. But, it's fun to tinker with equipment - and different things work for different people. So looking forward to how the experiment goes for you.

Personally, I don't see how that's going to help improve your game. I'm of the opinion that it will have the opposite effect. Nevertheless, I hope you prove me wrong

Yes.

It is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a form of instrumental conditioning .... I think it's crazy enough to work. I love it!

would you a buy a set of wilson wedges for practice, and taylormade wedges for playing rounds? or an epic driver for practice, and a z565 driver for rounds? why would you groove a swing with something other than what you're going to pull out of the bag when it matters? the only thing i could kind of get on board with is hitting a few shots with the smaller blade, then going back to your gamer for 2-3 times the number of practice balls. even then i think you're better off only practicing with your gamers.

Best of luck. My blade irons are pretty un-forgiving, but I actually play better with them than I do anything in the GI range. I hope works for you as well.

Perfect dude. Thanks. Here is a review I found on them. LOL:

Reviewed by: The HP Man , Shoots in the 70s

Model Reviewed:
Mizuno MP37

Summary:
The truth is these are a demanding club. THey are more demanding than the MP 33,11,32,68 and any other Mizuno blade I have played. They are not for the guy that has an occasional fat shot or who does not hit it center. YOu can play the other Mizuno blades and get away with it. I found that the best thing about these clubs. I was getting kinds slack in my posture and setup. With these puppies you will pay the price of embarrassment. I am in love with these things. If you feel you are ready to become a true baller then get these and find some grass and get busy. If you have any swing flaws you will know them very well by the time you get to the 9 iron. They do not have a lot of offset at all. They are made backwards, the short irons have offset and the longer ones lose offset. I am telling you these are the clubs for the golfer who want to improve and hit a pure set of irons.

Haha.. I loved my MP37's! But I was 10+ years younger and in MUCH better shape then. :D

If you're looking to punish yourself and learn to hit the sweet spot more often, you've picked the right blades. The mp37's will rattle your fillings out on mishits. Especially with the Rilfe 6.5's I had in mine.

There's pros and cons to the strategy, ones I personally went through myself with my Nike blades a few years ago.

It's not going to make you a better ball striker, but it will give you more feedback on poor shots. Take that as you will, some could see it as a form of training by punishment. So in some way, I guess it could improve ball striking on feedback alone.

If you're trying to maximize your game, definitely not the right choice until your ball striking has improved tremendously. I moved to bulkier irons until my ball striking was more consistent and my game has improved a lot since then. Last year a 12 handicap (factor) and this year down to just under a 7.

Have a backup plan just incase these get discouraging. The worst thing in the world is looking down at something you're not comfortable hitting or confident in.

I feel like this can't be serious.....should I chuckle, or give a suggestion?

To the OP, find yourself a set of titleist blades from whatever year you want. Probably the same if you'd rather go mizuno blades.

Good luck.

~Rock

I think it'll be an interesting test. OP, make sure you do plenty of updates. I'm curious about the results. It's either going to be a gamechanger, or you'll end up wearing wrist braces the rest of your life. :laughing:

Golf forums tend to be a bit tech centric in my opinion... Go for it and see what results you get. I bet it won't be as bad as a lot of people would think.

Dave

Back