Least forgiving irons

Crossfield human experiment using MP5s...

Dave

Good luck though I don't think it will help much. Different shafts, weight, lie etc.

I will update this thread in a month or so for all the good it will do. Basically, anything I say will be based on no empirical data since I'm not scientific enough to determine if I'm actually striking my irons better after, say, 100 hours of practice with the blades.

However - checking the specs, swing weight, etc - both sets are going to be dg s300, both are lofted almost identically (no club off by more than 1 degree between the sets), and the max difference on any given club length will be 0.25 with most of them being the same length. I'm actually going to put the same grips on these as I have on the gamers. If I'm not mistaken the PTx with dg s300 is d2 swingweight, and from what I can tell from a few older archived posts, the Mizunos appear to be d2 as well. In other words, it'll be about as close a comparison as I can get.

Clubs set to arrive July 31st, will update then. Thanks for the responses.

I will update this thread in a month or so for all the good it will do. Basically, anything I say will be based on no empirical data since I'm not scientific enough to determine if I'm actually striking my irons better after, say, 100 hours of practice with the blades.

However - checking the specs, swing weight, etc - both sets are going to be dg s300, both are lofted almost identically (no club off by more than 1 degree between the sets), and the max difference on any given club length will be 0.25 with most of them being the same length. I'm actually going to put the same grips on these as I have on the gamers. If I'm not mistaken the PTx with dg s300 is d2 swingweight, and from what I can tell from a few older archived posts, the Mizunos appear to be d2 as well. In other words, it'll be about as close a comparison as I can get.

Clubs set to arrive July 31st, will update then. Thanks for the responses.

Based off shaft stiffness in your WITB, you have the swing speeds to be able to hit bladed long irons and get them a proper trajectory. It could work out fairly well for you. What do you usually shoot?

Dave

Heck yea dude. I'm all for this! $200 and worst case scenario, you have beautiful set of mizuno blades! I love it! Please take some pictures when the irons come in! And obviously give us the results to your testing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based off shaft stiffness in your WITB, you have the swing speeds to be able to hit bladed long irons and get them a proper trajectory. It could work out fairly well for you. What do you usually shoot?

Dave

I think almost every single round I played in this summer was in the 90s (besides the one at Bethpage Black). I'm 27 years old and think I have a natural decent swing and (once was) reasonably athletic. The problem is I'm so inconsistent with my irons. One is hit like a laser straight at the pin, the next is chunked horribly. One starts just right and draws back, the next makes a right hand turn 50 yards out to be with the other forgotten balls deep in the trees. I can't get through a round with at least an 8 on a few holes and they seem to come out of nowhere.

I feel like one of the reasons I haven't moved beyond bogey golf is because I'm not struggling enough, like I need to struggle even more to force a change. I want zero forgiveness to force consistency, and to earn my good strikes.

Regarding trajectory, I do hit my irons obscenely high. Could have to do with the fact that some people have reported some ballooning with the ptx to begin with, the fact that I probably could use x100 instead of s300, and that I am more of a "scooper" than a "digger."

As someone mentioned above, I would think the different shafts and club head weights would make the transition between sets difficult. I don't even like to hit a buddy's club because I feel it would screw me up until I get grooved back into my clubs. I think there are some people that have such a good swing they can hit any club and flush it. That is definitely not me. I am constantly tweaking and making adjustments.

I think almost every single round I played in this summer was in the 90s (besides the one at Bethpage Black). I'm 27 years old and think I have a natural decent swing and (once was) reasonably athletic. The problem is I'm so inconsistent with my irons. One is hit like a laser straight at the pin, the next is chunked horribly. One starts just right and draws back, the next makes a right hand turn 50 yards out to be with the other forgotten balls deep in the trees. I can't get through a round with at least an 8 on a few holes and they seem to come out of nowhere.

I feel like one of the reasons I haven't moved beyond bogey golf is because I'm not struggling enough, like I need to struggle even more to force a change. I want zero forgiveness to force consistency, and to earn my good strikes.

Regarding trajectory, I do hit my irons obscenely high. Could have to do with the fact that some people have reported some ballooning with the ptx to begin with, the fact that I probably could use x100 instead of s300, and that I am more of a "scooper" than a "digger."

Based off description we score about the same, I'm usually between 85 and 95 with an average of just over 90 since June 1. I don't have your distance though - I'm playing R flex Ping AWT's and pull a 7 iron on a 145 yard hole. Is your height from hitting the ball hard or are you flipping? Blades will not let you flip.

I had picked up some Mizuno MP57's cheap with Dynamic Gold R300 shafts for a trial. I was able to get them in the air just fine, but almost every shot had curve to it. The lack of MOI was really hurting me. I ended the experiment and continued to use my G15s.

Dave

Based off description we score about the same, I'm usually between 85 and 95 with an average of just over 90 since June 1. I don't have your distance though - I'm playing R flex Ping AWT's and pull a 7 iron on a 145 yard hole. Is your height from hitting the ball hard or are you flipping? Blades will not let you flip.

I had picked up some Mizuno MP57's cheap with Dynamic Gold R300 shafts for a trial. I was able to get them in the air just fine, but almost every shot had curve to it. The lack of MOI was really hurting me. I ended the experiment and continued to use my G15s.

Dave

Tell me more. What do you mean by flipping? and my 36* (7i) is my 170-175 club for a full swing

Tell me more. What do you mean by flipping? and my 36* (7i) is my 170-175 club for a full swing

at impact is your lead wrist cupped, flat, or bowed? cupped = flip. "scooping" at impact to help the ball in the air. flat or bowed is preferable. a 7i from 170-175 is great distance, but does not necessarily mean you aren't flipping. in my experience flipping is the result of other poor body mechanics, and your innate hand-eye coordination taking over to help you hit the ball. it's a symptom of a larger swing flaw. not saying you're flipping, though.

Last edited:
at impact is your lead wrist cupped, flat, or bowed? cupped = flip. "scooping" at impact to help the ball in the air. flat or bowed is preferable. a 7i from 170-175 is great distance, but does not necessarily mean you aren't flipping. in my experience flipping is the result of other poor body mechanics, and your innate hand-eye coordination taking over to help you hit the ball. it's a symptom of a larger swing flaw. not saying you're flipping, though.

It's possible I flip, I don't know to be honest, and I am a scooper not to "lift" the ball off the ground trust me I hit down on it. I play with a buddy of mine and he takes divots that could sit on someone's head and serve as a toupee, I MAYBE take a small divot on my wedges and high irons.

I think doing this kinda stuff is fantastic...I am wondering how the offset will effect you. Some people can't get comfortable with little to no offset.

Miura Baby Blades or Miura Small Blades

Very small heel to toe, very blaydeeeeeee - that's why the name Baby Blade.

It looks as if the Small Blades are available. Take a look and be very scared... but also very mesmerized by their beauty ... like a Siren singing and leading a golfer to their doom. lol.

https://www.miuragolf.com/series57_blade.asp

Miura Baby Blades or Miura Small Blades

Very small heel to toe, very blaydeeeeeee - that's why the name Baby Blade.

It looks as if the Small Blades are available. Take a look and be very scared... but also very mesmerized by their beauty ... like a Siren singing and leading a golfer to their doom. lol.

https://www.miuragolf.com/series57_blade.asp

those should be called, "the clubs that made me quit golf" lol

This thread makes me wanna dig my MP37's out of the rafters. Just to look at them though... not hit them. I'm not that brave anymore. :D

I have a genuine question for the OP.
Why not play the least forgiving metal woods as well?
Why not play with a persimmon? If size is going to make one learn to strike it better, why stop with just irons?

Why not play with a persimmon? If size is going to make one learn to strike it better, why stop with just irons?

Cause I'd then be the shortest player off the tee in my group. Can't have that now.

Plus blades are sexy. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may get better feedback from the new set but I don't think they are going to make you better. Having a better understanding that you are hitting the ball low on the face and out toward the toe (for example) does not tell you why that is happening or what the proper fix is. You can get similarly improved feedback with your current set by buying a $10 package of impact tape.

Also - and I mean this with absolutely no disrespect at all because I'm the biggest hacker there is - but the your inconsistency is evidence that you may not have quite the naturally good swing you think you have; that inconsistency is very likely coming from some fundamental swing flaws (don't ask me how I know...). Anyway, your money might be better spent on lessons than demanding irons. Just my 2 cents.

There's something to be said for hitting a more compact head iron as part of a practice session. Much like people putt with a reduced size cup making the standard cup look like a bucket, If I take some swings with a compact blade club, then when I pick up my GI irons, it's a little easier to find the sweet spot.

The whole discussion makes we want to take and extra iron shaft (no head), add some weight to have it mimic a club, and try to make ball contact with it. That would be a good experiment in how good you are at achieving the correct club path....

You may get better feedback from the new set but I don't think they are going to make you better. Having a better understanding that you are hitting the ball low on the face and out toward the toe (for example) does not tell you why that is happening or what the proper fix is. You can get similarly improved feedback with your current set by buying a $10 package of impact tape.

Also - and I mean this with absolutely no disrespect at all because I'm the biggest hacker there is - but the your inconsistency is evidence that you may not have quite the naturally good swing you think you have; that inconsistency is very likely coming from some fundamental swing flaws (don't ask me how I know...). Anyway, your money might be better spent on lessons than demanding irons. Just my 2 cents.

No disrespect taken man I definitely need the lessons. I'm just saying I think some of the fundamentals like pivoting, weight shifting, general mechanics are something that I had ingrained from me since t-ball, and although not all of them translate directly to golf in a good way, the underlying mechanics are there.

Good on you! Be careful though, once you go blade you won't ever go back haha. Been playing them rather successfully for about 2 years and my handicap has only gone down. Was about a 17-18 before I went with Nike Vr Pros. I am not down to about a 14 but have been as low as a 12. Biggest thing about my playing is whether or not my driver shows up.

Bump for the OP?

An old swing trainer that I use (just regripped it) is a Tour Striker. Same size head as a GI iron, but parts of the face are carved off. It's meant to ingrain a descending blow while hitting the sweet spot. Don't use it as much as I used to, but whenever I do use it, and hit it well, confidence bleeds over greatly to my irons.

Back