To Iron Cover or NOT To Iron Cover???

Without having read this entire thread and hardly any of the posts, I think iron covers are an absolute abomination - it's utterly preposterous anyone would ever use them.

Just my two cents...

NEVER COVER YOUR IRONS, for the love of Christmas.

20161231_190454.jpg

I put them on my clubs for travelling to and from the course, once I get to the course and take my bag out of the car they get taken off and left in the car

I understand that some people don't like them, but despite the fact that I know they will get marked during play, I like to keep my gear looking as good as possible for as long as I can

Each to their own I say

I use them when I'm playing forged irons to prevent chatter, but don't use them if my irons are cast.

JuzL0qr.jpg

I cover my clubs since 99% of the time I'm on the course alone and hate the chatter. As for the PoP issue, half a second off then a wipe down with the towel and recover in a second. I have some generic head covers for the woods and hybrids if I go to a course other than my home course.

Last thing on my mind. Not a fan of chatter on irons. Prefer to keep my irons looking nice and clean.

Same here. My 6 year old MP68 irons are still looking great. Pace of play ? If no one is in front of my regular group, we finish 18 holes walking in a bit over 3 1/2 hours easily.

We are NOT pros, I get that....but seriously...have you ever seen a professional use these blasphemies (iron covers)?

We are NOT pros, I get that....but seriously...have you ever seen a professional use these blasphemies (iron covers)?
We get it. You don't like iron covers. That's OK, just as much as it's OK for others to use them.

As to the pace of play mentions, iron covers are only going to be an issue if that particular player was already having a problem keeping pace.

I use them and always will. I paid hard earned money for my irons and I would want to protect in anyway I could. I get mine from www.instagram.com/clubs4play/
which has a great selection to choose from.

Do the pros buy their own sets?

To each their own, you don't like them don't use them. I'll do what I want with my own equipment.

i only use my iron covers when traveling. they all get removed though before it gets to the cart. i tried playing with the covers once before.. it was more a hassle than anything, even with the downtime between shots when playing 4s.

yes they look ridiculous
yes i use neoprene
yes my irons look great

Sports equipment is hard to sell lets be honest. How many times have you looked at irons online and said man those look beat! I don't know how many clubs and bags I've sold through the years and thought if I had only taken better care of them. Now I'm not saying my stuff is abused by any means, but something on the lines of bag chattered irons annoys me. So, I use the head covers now..

Do the pros buy their own sets?

To each their own, you don't like them don't use them. I'll do what I want with my own equipment.

Absolutely but I will just say - they are ugly as ----, not to mention if you do carry a beautiful set of sticks why in the sam hell would you cover them up...

I also think that "chatter" gives clubs just all that more character and shows you to be a real player.

That is just my opinion - please don't take offense to it - but the OP did ask the question.

Long time ago when I bought my first set a new iron set. I bought a iron cover for it. Used it for couple of rounds and got rid of them. Could never have time to put it back on. I think when you buy new club you want to keep it nice and clean but when you start hitting crappy shot. Forget head cover. Go find your ball!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No no no, just say no. I would lose all of them in a month anyways. As long as any damage doesn't hurt the performance I really don't care if they get marked up a bit, it is a tool not a work of art.

[Edit: I decided on a whim to order a new set of Gloveskin headcovers off the bay, though mine are still in ok shape after nearly half a dozen seasons. They weren't the "Gloveskin" ones as described in the listing, but Club Glove "Premium Neoprene". They looked fragile, were not slightly rounded like the Gloveskin so they would be a pain to get on and off. (I got a refund). If folks are basing their negative comments on losing them, or delays going on and off on experience with similar thin neoprene ones, I can see hoew they might feel that way.]

Protect the softer forged clubs and chrome finish?...I sure do. Club Glove Gloveskin ones last for years and are easy and quick to get on and off. I would only usethem on forged clubs, not on cast, unless maybe going on an airplane. I put them on the Vokeys then too.

Take them off when you get home in case there is any moisture issue. I rinse my covers a couple of times a season for any potential residual fertilizer or other chemicals, pesticides transfer to the clubs from the course. I have had touches of rust on my Vokey wedges and had a couple of spots on wear spots on my Miura 9 iron recently, all fixed with a rub of Remington gun oil "Rem Oil". I use Rem Oil once in a blue moon to get to work on any possible absorbed moisture if I've been playing in super wet conditions a lot ..of course I wipe it off well before I play again.

My Miuras still look and play great going into their 6th season.

Last edited:
I can barely force myself to use the driver, wood covers, and putter cover. I hate having to take them off and put them back on. I definitely couldn't be bothered to use iron covers. That being said, my clubs have always suffered from club chatter, every one of my 6 irons has marks on the back of the head from bouncing against another club in my bag.

I can barely force myself to use the driver, wood covers, and putter cover. I hate having to take them off and put them back on. I definitely couldn't be bothered to use iron covers. That being said, my clubs have always suffered from club chatter, every one of my 6 irons has marks on the back of the head from bouncing against another club in my bag.

Seems like you are stuck between a clatter and a cover place.

Use them all the time. As a left handed golfer who walks and keeps my clubs in the trunk I get a lot of value from them. Looked at a bunch of different ones and decided on a design that quickly goes over the club head and click in place. Tethered to one other cover, so that when you put a club back in they are always right there and easy and quick to replace. Never had a mosture issue. I've never had anyone say a disrespectful word about them to my face. However, I have seen some derisive comments posted on golf forums.

Here they are.
Iron Covers.jpg

No thanks

Pros also get paid to use their equipment, and they're upgrading constantly with new lines being released. Apples and oranges my friend. But I appreciate your opinion either way. Some of my friends feel the same, some of my friends also have forged irons that look like swiss cheese lol.

I bought my first set of forged clubs last September and wanted to keep them looking good as long as possible. I had iron covers but didn't like the way they look and hated hiding the beauty of the JPX 900's lol....so I decided to just get an ogio silencer. No club chatter and I only use the head covers when traveling.

This thread again??? No, irons are tools not jewels. Protect your putter face and your graphite shafts.

That's me, I don't care others use it as long as they don't take forever and "loses" a head over and has to go back for scavenger hunts

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Back