Question For Those That Attend THP Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the back does that have to do with the OP?
But since you said that, I will say THP'ers + 4 championship courses + very low price = awesome

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
I must say, I saw this one coming a mile away hahaha! Glad you guys had fun, but for the love of my sanity keep me out of this nonsense.

Does this effectively eliminate said person for signing up for an event where the equipment is a complete unknown? Grandaddy, Gauntlet, #StaffProto and Up & Down? I say this not about any person in the thread, but a general question.

Knowing OEM is enough for me

I only have a limited number of trips available to me. For me 4 rounds of golf with THPers > 1 round + putt putt with a club I had tried and disliked. The decision was easy for me.

To be honest I disliked the experience with the cure putter at old silo so much that even if I had no other options I would not have gone. So my reasoning stands. Why should I pay for something I won't like?
I went to experience their full lineup and enjoy a top tier ohio course. Like I said you're more than welcome to select events with your own strategy, just found it interesting about the taking up a spot argument.

The same could have been said about Wilson Staff and #PersonalDistance flew so far under the radar is was almost comical. Then once everyone got swagged out attention on this years event grew ten fold
Ok same but different. Callaway quite arguably on of the top OEM's in golf. Wilson Staff trying to carve thier way back in the market place. But I agree swag is a driving force.

I have typed and deleted my response a few times. This is a tough call. Ultimately, I think people should play whatever gear they like best.

One thing about the question - the phrase "where equipment is given to you" - is part of the rub. Grandaddy aside, everyone pays a fee - an admittedly incredible fee - for the events. It isn't always clear whether something is being given to people or if they've paid for it. I think part of this is a byproduct of the events having multiple objectives - educational opportunities for THPers, early feedback to OEM's and access to consumers, community building experiences for THP, etc. If we go to a shaft event, for example, and have a great time learning about a company and its products, etc., does that mean we are obligated to keep a product in our bag that just doesn't seem to mesh? Does the OEM really want that?

At the end of the day I think clearer expectations would help. As an example, it really isn't clear to me at least that people are expected to test and provide feedback on the gear for many of these events. Otherwise, I'm not sure it is fair to expect players to game something they may not really like, even if it did make its way to their bag in a special circumstance.

Caveat: the fitted events...it is harder to see how people don't game gear custom fit to them.

One thing about the question - the phrase "where equipment is given to you" - is part of the rub. Grandaddy aside, everyone pays a fee - an admittedly incredible fee - for the events. It isn't always clear whether something is being given to people or if they've paid for it. I think part of this is a byproduct of the events having multiple objectives - educational opportunities for THPers, early feedback to OEM's and access to consumers, community building experiences for THP, etc. If we go to a shaft event, for example, and have a great time learning about a company and its products, etc., does that mean we are obligated to keep a product in our bag that just doesn't seem to mesh? Does the OEM really want that?

We have NEVER EVER EVER included any price of equipment in the pricing of events. Golf, Food, Lodging, etc. Equipment has never been a part of it and never will be.

I must say, I saw this one coming a mile away hahaha! Glad you guys had fun, but for the love of my sanity keep me out of this nonsense.
Do you not read what you post?

I feel like there is an obligation. I played the shaft I got from UST for 3 months roughly and will never get rid of it. I'm still playing the head and testing out other UST shafts of similar design. I'm not sure how long that obligation should be, I feel like it takes a few months to give any product a chance. I also think other members want your feedback and products and I've always liked data and pictures so I tried to include that for the shaft and Bridgestone balls I was lucky enough to test.

If you can't tell from my signature, UST and Bridgestone and testing their products made a big impact on me. The UST event and Danny Lee were amazing. The other guys were too, but my group was paired with Danny. I'm grateful of course to THP and Callaway as well for the awesome UST event and am really interested in going to a Callaway event.

With that being said, I'm completely open to going to an event where an item doesn't immediately stand out as something I want to test because the item may be great for me. And the company may be outstanding.

As a curteousy I would feel that one should play the equipment and offer their reviews for a respectful period of time before moving back to their gamer clubs.

So if Cure was sponsoring the granddaddy would you pass on that too?

Yes, I would pass on it. Apparently this doesn't seem to resonate with people, so I am going to say this one last time and you will just have to believe me that this is how I feel.

I have hit enough clubs that I have an idea of what brands work for me and what don't. Of those I tried, I can tell you I will never sign up for anything Ping sponsored. They don't work for me, never have. I have added Cure to that list.

Conversely, sign me up for anything Adams or Callaway or SeeMore sponsored. I like those clubs very much.

Taylormade is hit or miss. I have no experience with Wilson or Bridgestone clubs. I would go try them or any other OEM I am unfamiliar with out first before making a decision to go for a spot in an event with gear from them.

I don't need anyone else to agree with me on this. And while I appreciate that this apparently is not a common thought process, I'd also appreciate that people understand that this is my rationale, and it is what is right for me.

When it comes to the granddaddy, I want to go to be part of the team and to experience the golf nirvana that is the locale. Because I know that it is a competitive event and unfamiliar gear will be used, it does matter that it is from an OEM I know I like. But if it were from an OEM I know I don't like, as painful as it would be to not experience the rest of it I would not sign up for it because I know my ability to help the team would be negatively changed by using clubs I most likely based on history won't like.

I would feel obligated to play it for quite a while, at least a season, depending on the specific product. A new driver would probably be something I keep in the bag for a while. If it were a 1-off putter with a crazy paint job or something I might not game that one constantly for the sake of preserving it, but I'd sure as heck never part with it. I would personally feel very weird selling something I'd been given in an event here.

I dont want to pile on Rbarthle, but its an interesting take. Cleveland Event, the Gauntlet and the Wilson event will have signups before the equipment is known. Rbarthle has expressed interest in the Gauntlet without knowing what equipment will be out at that event. So I say this not to pile on, but its an interesting equation into the discussion.

Equipment is not the only reason to attend the events either...
Knowing that the Callaway guys/gals will be there, THP'ers will be there, and it will be an epic time is and should be enough reason for anyone.

That being said, to answer the original question, I think there defiantly is an obligation to put the gear given to you in events through an honest and open minded testing period.
I cannot see myself ever getting rid of my #Grandaddy gear, the appreciation aspect is simply too great! However, technology does change, and something may come out that is a game changer for me and my game. But I'll always have my #Grandaddy clubs!

As i saw your post coming a mile a way as well.

I absolutely think you should play it. I think it is only fair to the company giving the equipment to give the equipment a fair try. I think at least a season is fair (excepting something like golf balls which don't necessarily last that long). I know it's not a rule, written or otherwise, but it's just something I feel is reasonable and respectable in my mind.

Equipment is not the only reason to attend the events either...
Knowing that the Callaway guys/gals will be there, THP'ers will be there, and it will be an epic time is and should be enough reason for anyone.

That being said, to answer the original question, I think there defiantly is an obligation to put the gear given to you in events through an honest and open minded testing period.
I cannot see myself ever getting rid of my #Grandaddy gear, the appreciation aspect is simply too great! However, technology does change, and something may come out that is a game changer for me and my game. But I'll always have my #Grandaddy clubs!

Despite what anybody wants to believe...The Grandaddy is ALL about the equipment.
R&D is there. Roger Cleveland was there. They fit every single person.
They gave them a bag full of equipment.
They brought you to one of the nicest courses in the country to test that equipment.

It is ALL about the gear and anybody wanting to attend should view it as such.

As i saw your post coming a mile a way as well.

That's interesting. I'm not sure I've said a single word about your gathering up until this point... and technically still haven't. Have just sat back with popcorn while the underwear has gotten bundled.
Do you not read what you post?

It's possible not to?

That's interesting. I'm not sure I've said a single word about your gathering up until this point... and technically still haven't. Have just sat back with popcorn while the underwear has gotten bundled.

It's possible not to?
Whatever Dan

For me, I'd review any equipment I received at an event. I review equipment I buy so I'd have no issue. I don't know if I'd feel obligated, but I find it helpful reading input on equipment and I like to try to do the same. If the equipment doesn't work for you, then tell us why, regardless of whether the equipment was given to you or you got a bunch of swag. I think we all like to see objective input.

Time frame wise, I'd say a couple months is a good rule of thumb. If it's not working for you, a couple weeks. Everyone moves on to other equipment eventually for one reason or another, so it's not a surprise when it happens and I don't see it as a reflection on the equipment.

The free equipment is the absolute last reason I would play in an event. Personally I'd rather play in the event and someone less fortunate than me that does not have the means to buy shiny, new equipment get it. If the equipment doesn't suit me I'm not going to play it.

Frankly the amount of "free" word-of-mouth the manufacturers get is worth much more than the few hundreds or couple thousands of dollars it costs them to give away free equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the greatest thing that could happen to me on this board would be to be able to play in an event that gives equipment or bags or something big like that and for me I would truly feel obligated to at least play it for its cycle. I would feel I should be available for reviews and questions about the product also. And I'd be glad to do it. Damn glad!!

Despite what anybody wants to believe...The Grandaddy is ALL about the equipment.
R&D is there. Roger Cleveland was there. They fit every single person.
They gave them a bag full of equipment.
They brought you to one of the nicest courses in the country to test that equipment.

It is ALL about the gear and anybody wanting to attend should view it as such.

I would be perfectly happy bringing my own bag and clubs. The equipment is the absolute last reason I want to attend the Granddaddy.

The free equipment is the absolute last reason I would play in an event. Personally I'd rather play in the event and someone less fortunate than me that does not have the means to buy shiny, new equipment get it. If the equipment doesn't suit me I'm not going to play it.

Frankly the amount of "free" word-of-mouth the manufacturers get is worth much more than the few hundreds or couple thousands of dollars it costs them to give away free equipment.

An Event like the Grandaddy costs a bit more than a couple of thousand dollars. Heck its about double that for every single person. I think its noble to pay it forward in some aspects, but an event like that (and others) are definitely about the gear.

At the minimum, I'd play it and review it until I found out that it didn't work for me. I play 2-3x/week so that might be a month. If it worked, I'd play it for as long as it worked so that might be a year to forever.

I would be perfectly happy bringing my own bag and clubs. The equipment is the absolute last reason I want to attend the Granddaddy.

Then dude, I will be honest. I wouldnt sign up. The event is about the gear. Callaway is a club company and they are spending tens of thousands of dollars to host that event because of the gear.

If you can look at yourself in a mirror post event and tell yourself honestly that a piece of equipment just isn't for you, then by all means it's fair game. But I'm guessing that doesn't happen very often, and I am guilty of it in the past as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back