The Classroom: How To Reshaft Golf Clubs

Every time I watch this, it makes me want to carve out a golf club work area in the garage. Danny makes it look relatively simple and explains it well.

I've watched this twice now. Looking forward to putting into practice soon with an Attas Coool headed my way. One tip I picked up on was attaching the head to the adapter before install. I always thought it was done by just putting the adapter on the shaft.

I find it much easier to align the shaft graphic/grip when the head is attached, although it doesn't really make much of a difference to me.

Less than 5 minutes and you can start reshafting your own clubs. Seems like a solid time investment. Danny Le is the reason I was able to do a complete reshaft of my irons, he's a great teacher.

All it took was a bit of bribery with a free trip...haha

All it took was a bit of bribery with a free trip...haha

Sometimes all it takes is a subtle nudge haha

Great stuff by Danny as usual. I've done some reshafting myself and the only devil in the details I still need to work out is getting the SW right without all the nasty lead tape.

Danny makes this look so easy. I do my own grips, but I have not tried to install my own shafts. Part of the reason is that I do not have the tools or experience to take the old shafts out. I would like to try this in my garage at some point and get some experience with the process. I feel it would be much more fulfilling knowing that you hand built your own clubs! Great video, thanks.

Great stuff by Danny as usual. I've done some reshafting myself and the only devil in the details I still need to work out is getting the SW right without all the nasty lead tape.

Lead tape is indispensable. Just don't lick your fingers after you're done working with it

Joking aside, sometimes you need some extra mass and lead tape is the quick and dirty. Aside from that it's tip weights or lead/tungsten powder.

Danny makes this look so easy. I do my own grips, but I have not tried to install my own shafts. Part of the reason is that I do not have the tools or experience to take the old shafts out. I would like to try this in my garage at some point and get some experience with the process. I feel it would be much more fulfilling knowing that you hand built your own clubs! Great video, thanks.

Start with steel. That way you'll get a feel for how much heat you need to apply to break the epoxy bond. Plus you don't need a shaft puller for steel. Just jump in and give it a go, buy some thrift store sticks if you have to just to practice on.

Start with steel. That way you'll get a feel for how much heat you need to apply to break the epoxy bond. Plus you don't need a shaft puller for steel. Just jump in and give it a go, buy some thrift store sticks if you have to just to practice on.

Good idea. A good reason I haven't tried it yet is being afraid of ruining my gamers or newer clubs. Ill check the local store for a few oldies and get to work.

Thanks

Watched the video much earlier when originally posted but its always good to watch it again especially since there is a contest on the line. I am with Danny in that I always prefer to reshaft with Tour Van quick set epoxy. I watched the Taylormade guys do it once on the actual tour van and they always use quick set so if its good enough for the tour, its good enough for me. I know alot of folks like to use some longer curing time but I don't think its necessary. Another thing I always do it dry fit everything and check swing weights so make sure I'm not going to have a club that's too light or too heavy. Great video and shows how easy this is.

Very good How to!

I started building my own clubs about two years ago. the assembly is just as easy as he very well demonstrates. The biggest thing is to make sure you use the correct type of epoxy and to ensure that it is dispensed and mixed correctly.

don't be afraid to do it yourself :) its so much fun!

Lead tape is indispensable. Just don't lick your fingers after you're done working with it

Joking aside, sometimes you need some extra mass and lead tape is the quick and dirty. Aside from that it's tip weights or lead/tungsten powder.

Oh I know lead tape very well. Need to figure out the tip weight thing here eventually so I don't have to mess with all of that.

Nice explanation of the process... as someone who's never really done this on my own I feel comfortable from Danny's explanation starting with individual components that I wouldn't #$%* up too much, but what is the process when you have existing club (say an iron) you want to change the shaft in? Heat it up and pull it off? Once removed I assume its the same process? I plan to pick up or use an old club (iron) to try this myself. Out with the slide compound saw and in with the plumber's torch :)

Excellent video. I did watch it before, but I wanted to make sure to watch it again today now that it is such a high stakes video!

Most interesting to me was the alignment of the graphics. Seems like their opinion is that shaft orientation is only a cosmetic preference rather than a performance issue. I don't think I've seen Danny comment directly on that type of alignment, but this seems to confirm what others in the industry have communicated to us.

I still want to cry every time he taps the end of the shaft on the hard floor.

I watched this originally when it was featured on the Home Page. I've thought about doing some of my own re-shafting several times. I had one set of irons that I had re-shafted twice professionally because, each time, I chickened out on doing it myself. I keep remembering seeing heads fly off shafts from some DIY friends over the years, and, once even at the PGA Show demo day in Orlando an iron head got launched. Danny does make it look easy-peasy, though. I might just try it on a wedge I'd like to re-shaft. I'll watch his tutorial a couple more times beforehand, however. :D

I actually used his videos from the first shaft up to help when I tried my first reshaft. He explains things very clear and seems like an awesome guy to boot.

Some great info in the video and enjoy doing the builds myself as well. Having a workspace is important and will have the space again soon. Shaft prep on graphite can be delicate and go overboard if belt sander is used. So I've heard anyway...haha.

Would like to see more detail on swing weight and different methods maybe on a shaft 2.0?

Once you do it, it can get addictive and know its done with care and right.

Danny makes the process look even easier than it is. Makes me wonder why it took me so long to get up the guts to do my own shaft work. A lot of wasted money over the years paying others to do something so easy for me. And the fact that it is fun to do is an added bonus.

I wouldn't think to put the adapter into the driver head and then attach the shaft, but it makes sense. Just another reason that Danny is smarter than me!

Good video, Informative.
I was hoping Danny would venture into pulling adapters, Heads etc.

Good stuff though!
I really like his Epoxy Gun!

Honestly had always assumed that the adapter was installed on the shaft without the head being installed to the adapter. That seems much much easier to do with the head attached.

When you are installing shafts on drivers Danny, is your preference graphics up or down, or no preference at all?

Honestly had always assumed that the adapter was installed on the shaft without the head being installed to the adapter. That seems much much easier to do with the head attached.

When you are installing shafts on drivers Danny, is your preference graphics up or down, or no preference at all?

I'm not Danny, but I can say that it's always graphics down. Every shaft in my bag has been prepped and installed by Danny and they're all graphics down, from driver to wedges.

He does it all the time. it's not that hard TBH. Once you have all the equipment & supplies, it's a piece of cake. I just ordered a swing weight scale to complete my shop. Especially since I have some Recoils heading my way thanks to Danny. :banana:
Sounds like you have a full sweet set up; maybe you'll be able to swap the Recoils into some 718s soon :D

I'm jealous of you guys that get to tinker and test shafts yourself. If I do get around to setting up a work bench will def come here for advice.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I believe I caught Danny saying graphic down, must be a preference.
I would assume to not distract your eye along the sightline to help in alignment.

Back