Beginner: Need some tips

KimJongIllah

Reaction score
Handicap
Unknown
Hey guys, started golfing late March/early April and had some problems some time ago with a long back swing. Still having a little issues with that, but much better than it was. I finally got a chance to video my swing a bit and was hoping to get some feedback on what I need to improve overall. Ball striking has gotten better, but looking to add more consistency.

Any help is appreciated!

you just started playing golf 3 months ago, and that's what your swing looks like already? that's insanely impressive. freddie will be able to give you some tips, but bro you have made tremendous strides in a really short period of time. job well done.

you just started playing golf 3 months ago, and that's what your swing looks like already? that's insanely impressive. freddie will be able to give you some tips, but bro you have made tremendous strides in a really short period of time. job well done.

Haha yeah! Thanks man I appreciate the kind words. A buddy of mine has been helping me periodically, but mainly just a lot of practice and watching videos, etc.

That is not the swing of a beginner. What seems to be the issue? What is your miss?

Swing looks really good!!!

One thing I did notice is it looks like you were a little off balance. It seems like you are about to fall forward after your swing...maybe too much weight centered over your toes?

Take that for what its worth from an 18 handicapper lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hello Kim. Kudos on what you've accomplished the first 3 months! So you say you are having trouble with consistency. So tell us about your misses. What do you notice about impact? Fat, thin, toe, or heel contact if you can tell. What is the ball flight? Higher, lower, right, left, slice, straight or draw. Does this happen on the range as well as on the course or almost exclusively on the course? If it is the latter, what seems to be different? Lie in the rough, ball above or below your feet, uphill or downhill lie? Happens mostly off the tee or in the fairway?

The good news is you can play with that swing. We're probably looking at some tendency we have to adjust for or a set up change due to a condition.

Swing looks really good!!!

One thing I did notice is it looks like you were a little off balance. It seems like you are about to fall forward after your swing...maybe too much weight centered over your toes?

Take that for what its worth from an 18 handicapper lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hey! Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I think on this shot particularly I was a bit off balance. I don't have a balance issue a lot? But it is something that happens more than I would like. I do have a slight tendency to put my weight more towards my toes. I've been trying to keep it more on my heels. Definitely something I would like to resolve and not have to worry about at all.

That is not the swing of a beginner. What seems to be the issue? What is your miss?

Hello Kim. Kudos on what you've accomplished the first 3 months! So you say you are having trouble with consistency. So tell us about your misses. What do you notice about impact? Fat, thin, toe, or heel contact if you can tell. What is the ball flight? Higher, lower, right, left, slice, straight or draw. Does this happen on the range as well as on the course or almost exclusively on the course? If it is the latter, what seems to be different? Lie in the rough, ball above or below your feet, uphill or downhill lie? Happens mostly off the tee or in the fairway?

The good news is you can play with that swing. We're probably looking at some tendency we have to adjust for or a set up change due to a condition.

Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words. I wish I was more happy with what people are telling me, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I think of myself as still a beginner with a lot to learn onward. I will try and answer both of your questions at the same time.

As a member pointed out before I occasionally have balance issues. Some days its theres and I'll go on stretches without that problem, but it'll come up randomly.

If I were to breakdown my shots in total from 100% I would say 50% of them are more on the side of thin, 40% solid impact, and 10% fat. I never hit towards the heel, if anything I hit more towards the toe and if not that I'll hit it in the center.

Ball flight is where I find my inconsistencies and it has some obvious correlation with my impact. I have a natural draw and when I'm able to impact the ball well. Recently though I would say I have a higher ball flight with a tendency to hit a fade.

I feel like for the most part my inconsistencies come from coming in too steep at times. And I noticed watching this video in particular I'm not turning my hips as much as I would want. Which is probably why I haven't been carrying the ball as well recently. Another problem is probably staying down throughout the entirety of my swing. I can almost feel myself lifting/straightening my legs before fully impacting the ball.

I actually went out today to try and resolve the issues with hip rotation, but it made my contact even worse. More than likely I was trying to overcompensate and it ruined my tempo, but I would love any tips you guys would have to helping me fix any problems that you see and or know from the information I have given you!

I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out! :]

Edit: This has been strictly on the range for the most part. I've actually never played a full round of golf. My handicap number was just a random number I had chosen. I got to play 6 holes, but hardly enough to give you solid information.

Back