How often do you re-invent yourself/golf swing?

JuMPy

Reaction score
Handicap
mental
could be a complete tear down and build up, but could be simple things like how often do you....

1) Use new or different swing thoughts?
2) new pre-shot routines?
3) different practice routines?
4) buy new equipment
5) different putting styles
..etc etc

Or have you been going about things the same way for years and years?

I find I have to forever keep changing and refreshing swing thoughts as when I master one area I get lazy in another. Had been getting frustrated with my game lately and last couple days have been focusing on some new swing thoughts and a slightly different pre-shot routine....and boom, back on track. (at least at the range). Seems I have to every few weeks do this to keep improving wondering if that's normal or just me.

#1 - Occasionally. Usually nothing big, I just try to make sure it's as few as possible.
#2 - Never. I don't have much of a pre-shot routine. Pick a target, envision the shot, go. Maybe 1 practice swing.
#3 - Again not often. I don't have set practice routines, usually just start with a wedge and work my way up.
#4 - lol. All the time.
#5 - Only tried changing it once. Worked OK, but ended up going back. I found my issue to be more green reading related than my actual putting stroke when I have problems.

1) Use new or different swing thoughts? I would say 1 to 2 times a year I find something new I need to focus on to hit the ball well.
2) new pre-shot routines? Really hasn't changed in years.
3) different practice routines? Practice the same place, same way, for several years now.
4) buy new equipment? Way more often than I like to admit.
5) different putting styles? Changed to a fat grip then bought a new putter and went back to skinny grip. Change hand position this year then went back to old hand position. Doesn't matter I still suck at putting.

Ok after replying to this thread I decided to buy a fat grip again for my putter. New putter came with a stitched leather grip that was bad ass and I didn't want to change it. Gotta go back to fat grip. Just can't handle these 3 putts anymore.

1) Use new or different swing thoughts?
- sadly, almost every round, and sometimes different ones with in the round.
2) new pre-shot routines?
- rarely, have gotten lazy on my full swing routine, need to get back to a consistent one
3) different practice routines?
- decent amount, trying to ingrain good patterns as well as trying to replicate on course situations
4) buy new equipment
- way too much. entire bag has been replaced in the last 6 months
5) different putting styles
- never, pretty happy with this, just trying to take some of the arc out of the stroke

The answer for all is the same...

Every time I have to.

My thoughts have evolved; but not in a deliberate way. Each shot, or swing, is the latest in a line stretching back to the mid 1960's. I that sense; I reinvent my thought process every time I address a golf ball. The pattern is ever-changing...but not so much that I notice day to day. Once, in a while, it occurs to me that I'm not the same as I was. The factors contributing to said realization are too minute, and numerous, to form a coherent narrative.

I experiment when it doesn't count but then go back to what works when it does count

1) Use new or different swing thoughts? - could be several different ones within the same round until I find one that works consistently
2) new pre-shot routines? - that practically never changes
3) different practice routines? - I used to practice a lot and was a range rat but seldom practice anymore other than stroke a few putts before a round or chip a couple of balls.
4) buy new equipment - I'll buy something usually every year. It may be only one new club, say a driver or wedge, but usually something.
5) different putting styles - I may use a claw grip or reverse overlap on the same hole just depending on what "feels" right for that given putt.

Lessons

I made a concerted effort starting in March 2017 to retool my swing, only want to do it once after starting and stopping several times. I take a lesson every 2 weeks and work on the range 3X per week during this process. Have an excellent instructor.

Progress is not linear, one has ups and downs, but I am sticking with the schedule. New backswing is making progress and settling in, new downswing is 2 weeks in progess - attempting to decrease in to out path - and it is working slowly. It is hard work. Lucky I'm single.

After most of change takes (it's never over), I will go for occasional lessons.

Putting - will take Aimpoint Express #2.

Clubs

I change irons once every 5 yr or so, wedges when worn, want to keep fairways, and want to get to point where I am only looking at a driver annually or every 2 years - making rapid progress to ge there.

Last edited:
For me the answer is when I don't realize it. Freddie saw something last November that I had no idea I was doing and it was messing me up bad.

1) I change swing thoughts often, usually to address something that I stopped thinking about and lost the recipe on.
2) I rarely ever touch my pre-shot routine.
3) my practice routine changes what gets the most time based on what part of my games sucks the most... this is often.
4) My bag is pretty stable, though it took a while to get a quiver that I am happy with.
5) I never change my putting style. This is one aspect I think the begs to remain unchanged. (this coming from a 30+ putt/round guy, so take it for what you will....)

Started from the ground up and changed my swing in 2015 going from a very flat backswing with a draw to playing a high fade. The other stuff I will mess with all the time. Went to the claw a few weeks ago and normal on 35 foot plus putts depending on green speed.

I made significant changes to my swing 4 years ago which led to a big drop in my cap (15 down to occasionally under a 10), and confidence in playing was thru the roof. I was good with that until the beginning of this season, as my swing was good enough to do what I have been doing, but not necessarily go lower. So, I'm in the middle of my 2nd set of changes, and this is a complete overhaul, with my target being consistently in single digits.

I don't like to have to be consistently tweaking my swing, but I do tend to experiment with new equipment quite a bit (part of what I enjoy about the game).

Last edited:
Hahaha every round lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I've had 2 major rebuilds, and some tweaking from a pro based on the second rebuild. When I started taking lessons from him, he asked what my end goal was - I told him I wanted to be able to get around the course OK and someday score in the 80's. So my swing's built off of that.

In the beginning, I was trying all sorts of different things, thanks to the YouTube rabbit hole. Thankfully I've learned NOT to do that. My pre-shot and putting routines have been the same for a few years now.

I don't really do this maybe pre shot routines and practice routines and lots of. Ew equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consistency or the lack of is my problem. Everytime I hit a bad shot I try to do something different and then I'm back to square one. I try to recall my swing thought if I hit a good shot, but more than half the time, it doesn't work out the way I wanted it to. It's a work in progress for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back