PING Gmax Irons Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP Review can be found on the home page here.

http://bit.ly/1NpRW2M

PING engineered its longest, straightest iron ever by utilizing COR-Eye Technology, which simultaneously activates the sole, face, and top rail to increase ball speed up to 3 mph over previous PING models, providing greater distance with control. COR-Eye creates a faster ball speed that is constant across the entire face, so even off-center strikes deliver longer, straighter results.

A new cavity structure houses a concealed Custom Tuning Port that connects to the sole. With this deeper position and wider sole, each iron's center of gravity is moved lower and farther back to increase the MOI for more forgiveness, accuracy and consistency.

Distance-generating lengths and lofts are optimized for efficient gapping with the distance control and high trajectory needed to hit and hold more greens. An enhanced leading edge, more trailing edge relief and refined bounce help optimize turf interaction. The 4- thru 8-iron faces are heat treated using a specialized process that strengthens the material by approximately 40%, creating a Hyper-17-4 alloy and allowing the face to be thinner for greater flexing and faster ball speeds.

Longer blade lengths and increased offset maximize forgiveness and ensure a higher max shot height. The set has a unique swingweight progression where the 4, 5 and 6 irons have lighter swingweights to help square the face at impact, creating faster ball speeds for longer, straighter shots.

- Available 4-9, PW, UW, SW
- Stock steel shaft: PING CFS Distance (Soft R, R, S, X)
- Stock graphite shaft: PING CFS Graphite (65 Soft R, 70 R, 80 S)
- After-market stock shaft options (no upcharge): Dynamic Gold S300, X100; Project X 5.0, 6.0; XP 95 (R, S), N.S. Pro Modus3 105 (S, X)
- U.S. MSRP: $121.25 per club w/steel shaft; $ 136.25 per club w/graphite shaft

*Note - Yellow dot is considered 'standard' lie in the Gmax iron series.

DSCN6438-L.jpg

DSCN6436-L.jpg

DSCN6439-L.jpg

DSCN6440-L.jpg

DSCN6443-L.jpg

DSCN6449-L.jpg

DSCN6447-L.jpg

DSCN6454-L.jpg

DSCN6451-L.jpg

DSCN6457-L.jpg

DSCN6458-L.jpg

DSCN6456-L.jpg

DSCN6462-L.jpg

DSCN6464-L.jpg

DSCN6433-L.jpg

DSCN6435-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawk on the 9 am nose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this is one of the first irons sets where that the irons look uglier in person than they do in the renderings

woof

So this is one of the first irons sets where that the irons look uglier in person than they do in the renderings

woof

I agree. I really wanted to like them but I don't. Yellow dot as standard is interesting as well.

I'm predicting HIGH.

Not a fan of the cavity though, theres a fine line between visible tech and ugly.

I think they look fantastic! Very PING like. Those soles look very wide.

Definitely going to hit these and see how they compare to my Altitudes.

Buzz. Your girlfriend. Woof

While they are ugly as sin I will hit them and see how they perform. If they perform they may get a try. Even fat girls keep you warm at night.

Pics make these look better. Nice shots Hawk.

Oddly, my main complaint on looks is they went to the G series finish. I really liked the finish on the Karsten irons. The rest is what it is. This line has never been about getting internet people hot and bothered.

The eye in the back just has an incomplete look to me. The offset isn't terrible but I would hate looking down at that cavity

Damn! They got a lotta junk in the trunk!

They sure are fugly, but the tech sounds pretty cool.

Any big difference vs Karsten? From specs Gmax seem overall lighter swing weight but more or less same loft / lenght...

Any big difference vs Karsten? From specs Gmax seem overall lighter swing weight but more or less same loft / lenght...

I'll dive more into that as we go along since I did review the Karsten.

The swingweight thing is interesting. Very light overall to start with, and then the longer irons are even lighter.

Visually, one thing I notice right away is the CTP is buried in the sole, which was not the case with the Karsten. In theory, that should change MOI and CG. Also, they are saying face is hotter.

Like everyone else said, they are ugly. But Ping continues to make ugly irons so there must be a market for them.

I like. Ping Eye 2'ish look (which I always loved). Long, straight, and forgiving? All I ever want. Looking forward to the on course thoughts!

I've learned to wait to see clubs in person before judging looks (like Bio Cell, for instance) but I don't know how much seeing these could improve that cavity.

I've learned to wait to see clubs in person before judging looks (like Bio Cell, for instance) but I don't know how much seeing these could improve that cavity.

It doesn't really change in person. What you see is what you get.

The size of the 4 iron was probably the most shocking thing to me though. That thing is humongous. The cavity didn't really do much to my senses either way.

I prefer the looks of the new I series irons... but if these are anything like the older G series, they will equal long, straight and forgiving.

Well I personally think they look a little better in the in hand photos. Hopefuy these things can perform. I'd give them a hit but not a huge fan of looks. And I play the Mizuno JPX-EZ's and I thought those were chunky.

Well you can't really go wrong with Ping and judging by the looks they look stupid easy to game. Ping takes game improvement to a whole new level with these shovels.

One thing I did like about the Karstens (and assume I will when it comes to the Gmax) is that, while they are huge, they look and sound like irons rather than a hybrid.

Back