Rory McIlroy 'fires caddie JP Fitzgerald'

Blame Me

Golf, SAFC, Beer.
Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 GHIN
Well according to this article Rory has fired JP, wonder who he'll pick for his caddie going forward and who will JP end up with? Interesting times ahead for both.

Last edited:
I walked and watched him chop it around Birkdale on the Sunday prior to the Open, and tbh the way he was hitting it I would not have been suprised if JP hadn't sacked Rory there and then. He was absolutely dreadful and he could not blame JP for all the missed fairways and greens.

To be fair he still finished 4th. They're both very good at what they do and I doubt JP will have a hard time finding another top bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seemed out of the blue and a little surprising

Did JP beat him in a putting competition or something?

Very odd timing.

This after JP reminded him that he's "Rory F****** McIlroy", which seemed to help, is interesting.

Not sure what's going on, but I remember a couple of weeks ago where JP told Rory something to the effect of "you are Rory f**** McIlroy, play like it"

Regardless I'm not sure this is the best move forward unless the age difference is an issue now.

Don't know the free agent caddies out there, but LaCava is out there doing nothing

Not sure what's going on, but I remember a couple of weeks ago where JP told Rory something to the effect of "you are Rory f**** McIlroy, play like it"

Regardless I'm not sure this is the best move forward unless the age difference is an issue now.

Don't know the free agent caddies out there, but LaCava is out there doing nothing
Bones? Is that too obvious?

This after JP reminded him that he's "Rory F****** McIlroy", which seemed to help, is interesting.

I think this must be close to the real reason!!

Joe LaCava isn't too busy these days. Billy Foster would be an interesting move too

Bones? Is that too obvious?

All I've read is that Bones's knees need more time t recover from the surgery. Wouldn't shock me for next year, but can't see him jumping on that bag right now

Not a total surprise given how much he has been struggling and the fact that he has changed just about everything else around him. It will be interesting to see who lands on his bag, but I suspect it won't be Bones or LaCava given Rory's schedule is quite a bit more global than what those guys are probably looking for...

Not surprising but where is the accountability on his part? Fix that putting

Interesting decision. Wonder if his new caddie will be able to help him decide on a putter.....

Seems a bit odd that caddies are getting so much press these days. But hey Rory isn't playing well, somebody has to take the blame right? Personally I thought after he yelled at him during The Open Rory got his butt back in gear but will be interesting to see who he hires next.

Is Rory relevant right now? As for Bones, I don't see it happening. It's just a feeling, but it feels like those two would not match from a personality standpoint.

~Rock

Is Rory relevant right now?
Top 5 in the world, Top 5 at The Open. Going back to a course he loves at Quail Hollow next week. Absolutely! Definitely in my fantasy lineup for next week.

Is Rory relevant right now? As for Bones, I don't see it happening. It's just a feeling, but it feels like those two would not match from a personality standpoint.

~Rock

He's only top 5 in the world, I doubt many people even know he exists...

/s

Top 5 in the world, Top 5 at The Open. Going back to a course he loves at Quail Hollow next week. Absolutely! Definitely in my fantasy lineup for next week.

He's only top 5 in the world, I doubt many people even know he exists...

/s

Outside of the Open, I haven't seen him play well at all this year. At least not up to his standards, and certainly not up to the whoever the hot player of the moment was. World rankings don't mean crap. Tiger wasn't relevant for much of his #1 ranking after the Elin incident.

~Rock

I offered my services to Rory on twitter. Probably won't get a reply but you don't know if you don't ask, am I right!?

Outside of the Open, I haven't seen him play well at all this year. At least not up to his standards, and certainly not up to the whoever the hot player of the moment was. World rankings don't mean crap. Tiger wasn't relevant for much of his #1 ranking after the Elin incident.

~Rock

lol the guy has top 10's in more than half of the tournaments he's played on the PGA tour this year, including 2 top 10's in majors. Add in another in the top 20, and 2 more in the top 35. His only tournament outside the top 35 was the missed cut at the US open, where DJ and others missed as well.

So I guess yea, he hasn't been winning. But he hasn't been playing too poorly.

And...it's Rory. As long as he's playing, he's relevant. With Tiger out, he's arguably the biggest global name in the sport currently playing.

Wow, I thought those 2 would be together for a long long time. Hope Rory isn't in the "grass is always greener" thought here.

lol the guy has top 10's in more than half of the tournaments he's played on the PGA tour this year, including 2 top 10's in majors. Add in another in the top 20, and 2 more in the top 35. His only tournament outside the top 35 was the missed cut at the US open, where DJ and others missed as well.

So I guess yea, he hasn't been winning. But he hasn't been playing too poorly.

And...it's Rory. As long as he's playing, he's relevant. With Tiger out, he's arguably the biggest global name in the sport currently playing.
Top 10s don't make someone relevant, IMO.

~Rock

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Top 10s don't make someone relevant, IMO.

~Rock

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Relevant in terms of what exactly? Jhonny Vegas won this past week...you actually think he's more relevant in golf than Rory McIlroy? Once it hits Wednesday when all of the articles have already switched to the WGC, you actually think anyone wants to talk about him? I mean no offense to him, he seems like a great guy...but the golf world doesn't care.

Being Rory McIlroy in general makes you relevant. 2 top 5's out of 3 majors makes you relevant. More than 50% of your tournaments played being in the top 10 makes you relevant. Being #4 in the world makes you relevant. Other than not having a win yet this year, I literally can't think of a single thing that doesn't make him relevant.

Back