50/50 Raffles - keep the money or donate it back

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I played a scramble this weekend and as usual there was a 50/50 there. Once again the winner donated the money back.

I find this happening more and more now and in some charity events I've attended it's expected - like the MC pressures the winner to donate it back and people boo until it's donated back.

Personally I stopped doing 50/50s because of the "donate it back" pressure and expectation.

Thoughts? If you win do you donate it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like "throw it back" at a baseball game... I'm keeping that f'n ball...

I feel same way, if you just want to raise money just call it donation and not a raffle, I no longer do them if my wife is there as she would give it back....

I feel same way, if you just want to raise money just call it donation and not a raffle, I no longer do them if my wife is there as she would give it back....

Agreed

Depends on the amount smaller amount probably let them keep it bigger amount I give them some extra but keep it for myself

We are starting to see this a bit more often at our outings. Ones that draw a big corporate type player where they are doing it as a charity donation and $250 or so doesn't change their life, always seem to just wave it off and say keep it.

But at some of the more regular guy type outings where it's a younger and working class player, that $250 could be that months car payment or go toward something substantial they are trying to pay for. The pressure from the peanut gallery is unfair and uncalled for in my mind, but what can you do, it only takes one person to shout it out and then the chorus begins.

I think the charity organizer ought to take a stronger stand and tell the person, no you are going to accept this, if you want to make another donation at a later date, than that's very much appreciated. But that's not the society we live in today, where it's much too easy to spend other peoples money or tell other people what they should do, while you sip on your 14th free beer of the day :D

I've seen some people people keep it all and others give it all, half back or just part of it.

It really depends for me. When I have won, I donated it back but did it through a formal channel that allowed for the tax deduction for the donation. Not sure if that taints my generosity, but I still got a benefit from winning.

People boo for them to give it back because they don't want to see someone else win it. Keep it. That's the whole fricken point to a 50/50.

it's a 50/50, the charity already got their $$, this one is mine. Boo me all you want, I'm not giving it back.

Totally agree it needs to be on the MC or the event organizers to take the pressure off the "give it back" stigma. If your gonna do a 50/50 do a 50/50. Eventually people are just going to stop doing them if there is no incentive.

I won something like $600 at a Marching band 50/50 last year. You better believe I kept it. Likewise with another family we're close with who won around $500 at another event. That ain't peanuts.

If you're supposed to give it back, don't make it a frickin raffle, just make it a donation. I win, I'm keeping it.

I've never won a 50/50 even though I have participated many many times.
I honestly don't know what I would do if I won, but my guess is that I would keep it.
It's called 50/50 not 100/0

I say keep it always, why not? The charity got their money and you won your gamble.

I do see a lot of corporate types that want to put on a good face give the money back. They probably have to do that.

If you are getting booed, collect the money, then hand'm them a few bucks back publicly and keep the rest. No one will know that you kept most of it!

I've often wondered this too because of charities, but whats the point of winning a raffle if your just going to give it back? Call it a donation instead of a raffle. If I win I'm keeping it and splitting with my foursome.

It's like "throw it back" at a baseball game... I'm keeping that f'n ball...

Funny story, I once threw back a home run ball hit by Wade Boggs. I was around 10 and in the front row of the bleachers with the everyone chanting throw it back. It didn't help that I didn't know it was Boggs who hit it.

I would keep it. I generally buy other things that go towards charity.

to me it all depends on the charity. If it's something that close to me personally like someone I know raising money for hospital bills or even st. Jude's, I'll donate it back. But if it's not something that's close to me personally, I'm keeping it. They can boo all they want.

I'll keep the cash if I ever win.

I would keep the cash

Nope. Might make me a Richard, but money I win goes to my wife. That's how she 'tolerates' my golfing habit.

~Rock

My daughter works for our Regional Food Bank and there is a putting contest at the Golf Outing. First prize is like $100-200 and the winner almost always donates it back. There is zero pressure, but if asked, the staff will say (honestly) "Most people donate the prize to the Food Bank." If it's a big prize, I'm keeping it.

Back