50/50 Raffles - keep the money or donate it back

There are probably only two events I participate in where I would even consider donating the winning half back.

If my $5 or $10 ticket turns into $500 I'm definitely keeping it

Nope. Might make me a Richard, but money I win goes to my wife. That's how she 'tolerates' my golfing habit.

~Rock

I can't believe I just read that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i keep it unless i know for a fact it will go to cancer or something serious like a kids kidney transplant other than that i keep it but i never win lol

I can't believe I just read that

They get plenty of 'volunteer' efforts out of me, since our course is basically run by volunteers with very little in the form of payroll. My course has a long, ongoing history of fights with the City over money, and I'm not about to give them anything that I can't guarantee won't be used for the course. As purely an example, were paying off debt for an employee (who we forced to resign a couple years ago). The City required us to employ that person, the City paid him, but for some reason, the City is making us pay that back. In the meantime, we have 4 cart sheds housing about 25 carts each, and the City keeps the revenue from cart shed rental, and none of that money is credited to the golf course. And yes, the City owns the golf course.

So no, I have no interest in donating money to the City. I could rant on forever on it.

~Rock

If I buy a "50/50" ticket and win, I'm keeping it. That's the deal when I bought the ticket. Period. If they were to ask me for a $5, $10, or $20 donation I'd do that instead. But they don't.

Keep it. I hate when people boo or act like that at events like you mention.

If I buy a "50/50" ticket and win, I'm keeping it. That's the deal when I bought the ticket. Period. If they were to ask me for a $5, $10, or $20 donation I'd do that instead. But they don't.

That's what bugs me. I don't mind making a donation but I enjoy gambling so a 50/50 is fun. However it loses it's fun when there is pressure to give it back.

If I ever host a charity event and have a 50/50, I will be very explicit that the winner cannot give the winnings back the day of the event. I really believe that there are a number that will not play 50/50 since the expectation is to give it back.

That's what bugs me. I don't mind making a donation but I enjoy gambling so a 50/50 is fun. However it loses it's fun when there is pressure to give it back.

If I ever host a charity event and have a 50/50, I will be very explicit that the winner cannot give the winnings back the day of the event. I really believe that there are a number that will not play 50/50 since the expectation is to give it back.

I also appreciate the gambling aspect of it too. Knowing there is a chance to beat the odds and win some coin is always fun.

That's exactly what I would do also, it's completely disingenuous to label it one way and treat it another.

If it's for charity, I'd let them keep it. I might have kept it when I was younger, but I'm not in a spot where a few hundred dollars is as big a deal to me at this point in my life.

Do Not Give back Winnings

Do Not Give back Winnings

Do not give back your 50/50 winnings. It hurts in the long run.

Our organization does a 50/50 raffle every year and one year someone gave back the winnings and floored the crowd. Same thing happened the next year and the next.

This year's 50/50 was dismal because a lot of parents opted out. What's the point of winning a 50/50 just to give it back, right? There was also a lot of open grumbling about giving the money back. Short story short, the organizer got on stage and openly announced the 50/50 winner cannot give back the winnings. He would not accept the winnings as a donation. As soon as that was announced, people clapped and sales went through the roof.

Our organization does a 50/50 raffle every year and one year someone gave back the winnings and floored the crowd. Same thing happened the next year and the next.

This year's 50/50 was dismal because a lot of parents opted out. What's the point of winning a 50/50 just to give it back, right? There was also a lot of open grumbling about giving the money back. Short story short, the organizer got on stage and openly announced the 50/50 winner cannot give back the winnings. He would not accept the winnings as a donation. As soon as that was announced, people clapped and sales went through the roof.

Well said. I stopped donating to 50/50s because of the give it back mentality.

If I was to win, I'd keep it.

Played in a scramble last weekend and every par 3 had a money game for fundraising. I put in $20 or $10 at each station with the intent of doubling my money.
It was all for a good cause. I'm in our local Lion's Club and volunteer my time to help the community (like today "Flag Day"). However, I do not feel I'm comfortable enough financially to be pressured into giving it back.

50/50 is the game, I'm just a person willing to play it for their cause.

Or if you give it back don't make a scene about it.

I’m giving 50¢ on the dollar to begin with.

I’m keeping it every single time. If I’m gambling, I’m keeping the proceeds if I win.

I didn’t know this was a thing, and I still wish I didn’t. But my “donation” is going in with the 50% payout. If I win, the charity will have to happy with my 50% donation. If it’s $50.00 I MIGHT give it back. If it’s $500.00, I’m cashing that sucker before someone guilts me into even considering it.

Why is this a thing? If you don’t care about winning it, just donate? I guess that’s my thoughts on it? I’ve given it about 30 seconds of thought at this point.

(And as such I could be swayed; if it’s to give a kid a kidney transplant I’m much more likely to throw it back than if it’s to light up a baseball field that no one really cares if they have to stop at sunset).

Back