How Do You Guys Practice/Play Uneven Lies?????

mact3333

Reaction score
Handicap
One shot I am terrible at is the severely uneven lies ...I tend to do better with ball way below my feet rather than above...on the side hill lie shots where I have to choke up almost the non-gripped shaft I tend to chunk badly despite choking up.

Any tips on how to better play these types of shots?...or how to practice these types of lies/shots at a normal range?...how would you do this???

Really hard to practice unless you have a range that provides these shots.

For side hill shots the key is to keep your shoulders parallel with the slope of the hill. If it's a down, side hill it'll feel awkward having the weight on our left side, and vice versa if it's a side uphill. But this is the only way you'll hit the ball flush.

As far as having the ball above my feet, I just choke up slightly, less knee bend and complete a normal swing.

Unfortunately that's why I hate "regular" driving ranges. If you can find a range with grass, go to the ends of the range with the ball below or above your feet.
Below your feet or above ... always remember the ball is going to move towards the slope. Below ... Left to right. Above ... right to left. So adjust your aim accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Shawn Clement has excellent videos on this subject. He also has a sidehill "box" you could make and perhaps donate to your favorite range if you were really, really worried about it (or see if they'll let you exchange one for some free range balls).

That said, it's important not to try to get too much out of the shot. You might not be able to get there. Choose a club and a place to hit it that gives you a high percentage chance of still being in-play.

[video=youtube;LbAD-47M18s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbAD-47M18s[/video]

Solo practice rounds and local par 3 courses at lunch are great for this type of work. That's where I get my uneven lie practice in.

Shawn Clement has excellent videos on this subject. He also has a sidehill "box" you could make and perhaps donate to your favorite range if you were really, really worried about it (or see if they'll let you exchange one for some free range balls).

That said, it's important not to try to get too much out of the shot. You might not be able to get there. Choose a club and a place to hit it that gives you a high percentage chance of still being in-play.

A little off topic here, but Shawn Clement's swing is so odd. So much up and down motion in there.

Carry on!

A little off topic here, but Shawn Clement's swing is so odd. So much up and down motion in there.

Those are a bit older videos. Regardless, he can break par both right-handed and left-handed. Having seen his swing in person, I can assure you, he can absolutely kill it.

Those are a bit older videos. Regardless, he can break par both right-handed and left-handed. Having seen his swing in person, I can assure you, he can absolutely kill it.
I don't doubt it, and I'm sure he is an excellent teacher. I've watched him for years. I just don't want to model my swing after his.

Would like to re-create these severe sidehill lies on the range but can't think of a way to do it....the grass range at my club is pretty flat...I usually don't have issues with severe slopes on the actual fairway but I have issues with severe slopes(like 30 degrees) in the rough where the grass is like 3 inches high.

So he's doing a reverse K on those sidehill shots? Boy I don't agree with this, but whatever works for him.

I mow half of my field and put a flag out there. It's *very* rough with lots of side hills and dips and such. Hitting out to the flag I use a practice mat to preserve the lawn, but coming back I hit em where they lie.

Back