PING i Irons: THP Review Thread

I was an i20 guy and really liked them, didn't like the i25s as much and chose not to go that route. These look better than i25 and for me look as good as the i20s. Those are great pics James. The sound and feedback you are getting are nice to hear and with the i20s they had a sound similar to some forged and if these are just as good there that will go along way.

the 3/4 elevated similarly to what I remember the i25's doing.

Thank you. This is just what I was hoping to hear! Awesome feedback, overall. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

would you say they are a direct replacement for the existing I series, or as some mentioned, closer to the s55's?
handicap and forgiveness

Hmm. The G Max look like update TMAG Burners and these look like TMAG Speedblades.

Hmm. The G Max look like update TMAG Burners and these look like TMAG Speedblades.

Speedblades? I guess if you're referring to them both being blue.

would you say they are a direct replacement for the existing I series, or as some mentioned, closer to the s55's?
handicap and forgiveness

i-Series, by name and design. IMO the talk of the soles and topline being lessened, though it is there, have been greatly exaggerated by some. I reviewed the S55's as well and these are in no way shape or form S55 small both in sole width and blade length. As such, more mass in the head means more lateral and vertical ball speed retention capabilities.

Other than the color blue, I don't see it. I gamed the SpeedBlades for almost a whole season and other than that color, they're different beasts.

Ping Internet Explorer irons, wonder if Microsoft helped them with the name...lol jk

Good initial thoughts James! I am really digging the looks of these, might have to give them a swing or two.

James, is it true they are .25 over standard length ? If so how did u get along with it or was that maybe the reason your swing was "off".

Another thing, do u know if all the sto k offerings are .25" over? Thatde be a problem I would think with the project x. Me....I me looking at the cfs and the modus. Really hoping the modus gives me a higher lower spinning flight than the cfs.

James, is it true they are .25 over standard length ? If so how did u get along with it or was that maybe the reason your swing was "off".

Another thing, do u know if all the sto k offerings are .25" over? Thatde be a problem I would think with the project x. Me....I me looking at the cfs and the modus. Really hoping the modus gives me a higher lower spinning flight than the cfs.

Standard varies, they are indeed .25" longer than the i25's were though. Nah, I actually play +1/4" so that wasn't it, was just a wonky swing from a couple days off and a LOT of golf over the weekend.

No clue on the other offerings, would be easy enough to ask when ordering though.

This might help you there on the flight/spin:
images

Specs added to my first post!

Will be headed to the range and course today here in an hour or so.
I loved my i20s and all they needed was a LITTLE more distance. These solve that issue! Nice!

By the way, James, what kinda thread count you have in that white towel??? Looks like a 300 maybe... Egyptian cotton? Nice!!!

I like what I'm reading about these for two reasons, I guess. First, as a PING fan these look like a great follow-on to the i25, which are a fantastic set of irons. I also love that a choice is being offered in terms of no-upcharge shafts (though one may argue the price reflects this). I think the CFS gets a lot of hate, which I don't think is necessarily deserved - I'm actually a big fan in that mid weight, mid-launch category, which I think goes well with these and the G series profile. But this should give people an option to play what works for them.

I really like the looks of these. I am going to have to hit these at some point.

Made my way to Golf Galaxy after work to get a look, and a few swings with the demo. Just on form-factor alone, I'm super interested. Swings were sans any warming-up, so I was inconsistent at best. Really liked the sound/feel on the few well-struck shots I had. Not going to worry about ball flight or distances into a big-box simulator. These with my fitted shafts would please me. A lot.

Also interesting that these seem to just be being referred to as "i" on the PING website. I don't see much mention of the "E1" in the name.

Also interesting that these seem to just be being referred to as "i" on the PING website. I don't see much mention of the "E1" in the name.

I'd be willing to bet its because by going "i" and the E1 as the rest of the iron badging it leaves the window open for other versions. Complete guess guess on my part there.

I'd be willing to bet its because by going "i" and the E1 as the rest of the iron badging it leaves the window open for other versions. Complete guess guess on my part there.

More options is always a good thing. Could be like Titleist does w/ the AP1/AP2, where you don't really see the year designation (712/714) used in the copy on the website either. And we'll see the next version in 18 months or so as the E2.

f63e6ecbf3d9a86c35713a4307cbd30b.jpg

Forgot I took this yesterday, they're actually pretty photogenic.

Keep thinking about the same thing I do with any non SGI ping iron I have tested, they destroy the Forged vs cast misnomer/debate imo. Ping has beyond figured out sound and vibration manipulation, and these might be the best they have done there.

Those look really nice in the bag.

It's going to take me a while to get used to the new number font they're using.

Those look really nice in the bag.

It's going to take me a while to get used to the new number font they're using.
Me too. Screams mizuno to me honestly.

Awesome thoughts James! Thanks for the pics and thoughts! These seem very very intriguing to me. More so the more I read

Awesome thoughts James! Thanks for the pics and thoughts! These seem very very intriguing to me. More so the more I read

Def an improved profile, the tweaks are slight, but noticeable to the eye. The more rolled topline being the biggest one.

Looking forward to getting some numbers against a few other irons tomorrow. At least, that's the plan.

Def an improved profile, the tweaks are slight, but noticeable to the eye. The more rolled topline being the biggest one.

Looking forward to getting some numbers against a few other irons tomorrow. At least, that's the plan.

Can you compare the rolled top line to any other irons?

Great pics Jman. I am strongly considering getting the scoring irons to blend with my G30s and Glide wedges. Cant wait to read Jmans review and hopefully hit these over the weekend.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Back