Does grip really makes difference?

scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I got to hit AP2 with Golfpride tour wrap 2g
Previously it had normal stock tour velvet. My ball striking was pretty bad and my hand were getting pretty rough due to long range sessions.

I figure I need some softer grip and I looked at all the grip and I've decide to go with tour wrap. I had limited experience with this grip. I put that on my son Ping eye 2. I liked the feeling of the grip.

Yesterday I had one of the best ball striking for long time. Grip felt soft but not spongy. Tacky and secured feeling. I tend to grip very lightly. Sometimes too light. Not sure what's going on but I felt very comfortable with this grip. I stop hitting hooks and I finally can hit a cut with my short irons. Was my goto shots but I lost it beginning of this year. Grip size was all standard but Tour wrap feels slightly bigger. I don't feel clubs is twisting in my hands when I do miss hit anymore.
Maybe I found a grip that suits me. Finally!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your grip is your only contact point to the club. IMO it can make a huge difference.

^^^^ I agree. It's like asking if tires make a difference to a car.

Now I know. I always used tour velvet. I figure they are good grip so as long as it's my size I'm good.

Don't forget to clean your grips. They'll maintain that 'new' feeling a lot longer that way. I play twice a week, and clean grips once per month. I replace grips every year. It's worth it, because having good grips is pretty crucial to a good swing.

~Rock

The tour wraps are quite a bit heavier than the tour velvets as well, which will affect the swingweight (make the swingweight lighter.) It's not a huge deal especially if you hit them well. Just thought I'd let you know... the head of the clubs will essentially feel lighter due to the grip change.

EDIT:

Forgot to add... how heavy the tour wraps are depends on what color tour wraps you have The white ones are heavier. Sounds funny, but it's true. lol
Check out their website.
* Weight measurements may vary ±3.5g

I think so. To me it's a big part of what gives me feel during my swing. It's like anything else for me, it's something I have to be comfortable with.

The tour wraps are quite a bit heavier than the tour velvets as well, which will affect the swingweight (make the swingweight lighter.) It's not a huge deal especially if you hit them well. Just thought I'd let you know... the head of the clubs will essentially feel lighter due to the grip change.

EDIT:

Forgot to add... how heavy the tour wraps are depends on what color tour wraps you have The white ones are heavier. Sounds funny, but it's true. lol
Check out their website.
* Weight measurements may vary ±3.5g

Yes I heard that from clubmaker that white ones are tad heavier and blue suppose to be lightest. Just a tad he said but not really going to effect the club performance.
I also notice when I was removing the grip from ap2. It had 3 layers of tapes. Strange but I noticed 4 to pw.
I always thought I need heavier swing weight so experiment with lead tapes but didn't change the way I strike the ball.
Fix many flaws of my swing and worked a lot in my grips.
Seems to be coming together.
Feels comfortable with grips and swing adjustments.

One more vote for grips making a big difference. For me it was the reduced taper of the mcc+4 that felt better. Less tension in my grip, less thinking about it while swinging. It's a pretty personal feel, so I'm glad you found something that suits you.

If my grip isn't right then nothing else feels right afterwards. I think it's important.

Personally for the grip isn't all that important until it is. Meaning I am not super picky and can swing most grips, I prefer half cords but mostly doesn't matter. The second I feel anything weird like slipping the grip instantly matters and gets in my head till I clean or re grip.

The Tour Wrap 2G is an excellent grip. Keep them clean and they will be tacky for a long time. If you sweat, wipe your hands as this grip will get slippery in wet/humid conditions. I also feel that a grip does make a difference. Glad you found your grip. Tim

Back