Question about low compression balls?

jhd12

Reaction score
Handicap
Have now played six rounds with my first low compression ball (Callaway Supersoft) and it seems to fly high and be a bit shorter off the tee.

Just me?? Or do the low compression balls fly a bit higher which may cost you a few yards?

Thank you.

I don't think they necessarily fly any higher. I like the Supersoft, but the longest ball I can play is the Wilson Staff Duo, and it is softer yet.

I've been trying low compression ball this summer. Tried the Wilson duo spin. Drive distance was not there but irons were longer but no spin. No stopping on green with long irons so I gave it my boy.
Still trying other balls that are low compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be wrong on this, but I believe low compression balls tend to flow lower with the lower spin the ball reduces, but others will chime in for sure.

i don't think all low compression balls can be covered with a blanket statement like that. Ive had some that seem to fly high and some that are visibly lower.

i don't think all low compression balls can be covered with a blanket statement like that. Ive had some that seem to fly high and some that are visibly lower.

Agreed. Different ball characteristics come into play more than just compression. I know for my swing, a lower compression ball like the Duo or Softfli fly higher and longer because I don't have the swing speed that would properly compress a ball like the ProV1, for instance.

One of the Srixon THP radio episodes (or maybe both) talked about compression. You'll get faster ball speed with a higher compression ball, but more spin. So it might be more that you're losing just a little bit of ball speed with the softer ball.

I also believe the temperature makes a difference too. Soft is winter and mid is better in the summer heat. Tim

Back