So, I finally got fitted!

VPSax

Golf Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
Spent 2 hours with Tim Mosel in Denville, NJ. A great experience...learned so much. Now I see why everyone recommends an expert fitting!

Here's what he found:

I purchased my clubs from TMPO last year. Speedblades with KBS Tour 90 stiff. Supposed to be standard L/L/L. The good news is that the shaft Tim fit me into is the KBS Tour 90 stiff. The bad news?

- lie angles are all at least 3 degrees off. 5 iron is at 66 instead of 61! Tim does not like to adjust these TM clubs because they often break. Was thinking of getting another opinion.

- Shaft frequencies are all indicate that they are too stiff. Could be TM spec. Not sure. He wants me to order new KBS 90's so he can hone in on the proper stiffness.

- 5 iron is 3/4" too long. No wonder I can't hit that club.

- Good news - my driver is almost perfect. 2 degrees less loft would be ideal. Shaft is good. I have 2 other drivers that I am bringing to him on Thursday.

I'm looking for suggestions on an economical solution. Not possible to custom build a set at this time. Any way to get these clubs working for me? Other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Vee

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Spent 2 hours with Tim Mosel in Denville, NJ. A great experience...learned so much. Now I see why everyone recommends an expert fitting!

Here's what he found:

I purchased my clubs from TMPO last year. Speedblades with KBS Tour 90 stiff. Supposed to be standard L/L/L. The good news is that the shaft Tim fit me into is the KBS Tour 90 stiff. The bad news?

- lie angles are all at least 3 degrees off. 5 iron is at 66 instead of 61! Tim does not like to adjust these TM clubs because they often break. Was thinking of getting another opinion.

- Shaft frequencies are all indicate that they are too stiff. Could be TM spec. Not sure. He wants me to order new KBS 90's so he can hone in on the proper stiffness.

- Good news - my driver is almost perfect. 2 degrees less loft would be ideal. Shaft is good. I have 2 other drivers that I am bringing to him on Thursday.

I'm looking for suggestions on an economical solution. Not possible to custom build a set at this time. Any way to get these clubs working for me? Other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Vee

Are they all upright? I have never measured a cast set that far off spec so I have to think they were upright and TMPO listed them incorrectly. They do have a bending notch that makes them easier to bend than most cast clubs but you are flirting with possible breakage when you get past 2* of adjustment.

Also. I'm not sure about measuring shaft frequencies om installed shafts. Did he measure just the butt frequency?

Are they all upright? I have never measured a cast set that far off spec so I have to think they were upright and TMPO listed them incorrectly. They do have a bending notch that makes them easier to bend than most cast clubs but you are flirting with possible breakage when you get past 2* of adjustment.

Also. I'm not sure about measuring shaft frequencies om installed shafts. Did he measure just the butt frequency?
They are all upright.

He placed the grip in a vise, then pulled the shaft and let it flex back and forth. I think that it frequncy, but my vocab may be off?

I think you would notice 5* upright. That much and you would be hitting the hosel.

Here's what he found:

Thank you in advance.

Vee

Tim's an outstanding fitter; he built my clubs, which I've been really happy with. Know that you're in good hands going to him. He gives great advice.

I hit very close to it with the 5i. With all of the other shorter clubs, the wear pattern is towards the heel from center. Mat marks are also on the heel side. It would explain the lie issue...

They are all upright.

He placed the grip in a vise, then pulled the shaft and let it flex back and forth. I think that it frequncy, but my vocab may be off?

I'm not sure there is an economical solution. If you need a standard lie or something flat, then those heads will not work. Replacing the shafts with new KBS 90s will not be inexpensive either. You could sell the Speedblades and buy another used set with KBS 90s and hope the specs are as advertised. Did you ask how much a custom Wishon set would be? I'm guessing with the KBS shafts and 755 heads you would be around $90 a club.

I have a set of PSI irons just sitting around that only have 10 rounds and some range sessions on them...

Of the stuff that's off here, the lie angle and length issues seems the most important to fix. Honestly if you're in KBS S and he fit you there, the shafts can't be thatfar off from where they should be.

5 degrees seems like a lot to adjust. Might be worth a call to TM to see if they can be bent that much there?

Update - TM has agreed to pay for shipping both ways, and they will try to bend them to 2-degrees flat. That should get me to my ideal lie angle. We'll see if they break a head! :)

Other options - I did find a set of Titleist 710CB in great condition for $200 bucks at the local range. I could get those and some used KBS shafts...might be a nice combo. Otherwise, I will search for a new set that has forged heads so that they can easily be adjusted.

Update - TM has agreed to pay for shipping both ways, and they will try to bend them to 2-degrees flat. That should get me to my ideal lie angle. We'll see if they break a head! :)

Other options - I did find a set of Titleist 710CB in great condition for $200 bucks at the local range. I could get those and some used KBS shafts...might be a nice combo. Otherwise, I will search for a new set that has forged heads so that they can easily be adjusted.

Seems like a solid deal w/ TM doing it for you. My guess is they'll be able to do it, and if something happens to one of the heads, wouldn't be surprised if they replace it. I bet once the lie angles are right you'll hit them a lot better

This is all very interesting. I hope you find an affordable and highly functional solution...

Sidenote: I got my son(now 16) a used set of Speedblades last summer. They came 3/4" long which is what he was fitted to. He's in his 3rd year of HS golf now and didn't play before that. So he's really just now getting close to a repeatable swing. I've wondered about the other specs on the clubs especially lie angle. After a little setup adjustment at the range the other night he's hitting them pretty well and has PB's in both tryout rounds so far this week. Fingers crossed for tomorrow, but he should be solidly on the team.

Back