Royal Hawaiian Golf Club / Arnold Palmer Turtle Bay

MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently returned from a trip to Oahu and was able to get out twice to the Royal Hawaiian Golf Club and The Arnold Palmer Course up in Turtle Bay.

The Royal Hawaiian Golf Club was amazing. The views were incredible, the course was in great shape. The staff was very friendly, and it was well worth the trip to get out there. By far the best course I have ever played. It really was the "Jurassic Park" course. It played like courses back home for me with many blind shots, elevation changes, etc.

The Arnold Palmer Turtle Bay course has a great layout, great conditions, and some great views of the ocean. The only bad thing about the course for me was that the soil seemed to be some sort of clay. It was rock hard and very difficult to get under the ball in the fairway. When I was in the rough it was not a problem, but the short cut fairway was giving me trouble and the clay really gummed up the grooves after a shot. I still had a great round and time up there and would certainly recommend it to anyone.

Here are some photos:

Royal Hawaiian

db8510176487aa00552af12fb097b3df.jpg
baa664da60eb30a39684453d109f113d.jpg
8014dae5d8ca41e023fc4864f9c7d77d.jpg
02f8f5a6779d597867637c3c9b98758a.jpg
18e2e9a0b1005ccb3400a4d002321375.jpg
866d13467ce3fa921a8aa2e897241361.jpg
d710e18cbed12ec795209141c1a9ea31.jpg
e87188ad4cb73583568c64db6ae44493.jpg
6e20e578ee3fcccf28e673c8421b0e46.png
8a97fb9dbbde82d5ada5fa97af7d6912.jpg

Arnold Palmer Turtle Bay

9ee16b6ebf5b62a24284887542eb801d.jpg
e6fcd1e9d75278bc92107dda40ddedef.jpg
6e4eeec90c330daef4b9eca8703b1b5d.jpg
149a6101bebc23ddad4e3cab2519eb56.jpg
07d3f169c3acfd7f87b40b0ae7da57b2.jpg
8759ee19934526d72a117eb27eda14dd.jpg
19db3f75d80e26602a0de91bf2416710.jpg

Nice dude! I played Royal Hawaiian last spring, and I agree it was absolutely incredible. It also absolutely ate my lunch, but it was a spectacular round.

Nice dude! I played Royal Hawaiian last spring, and I agree it was absolutely incredible. It also absolutely ate my lunch, but it was a spectacular round.

They started me on the back and everything was going great, made the turn and it was much more difficult, or my luck ran out! They guy in pro shop said the front would be harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loved Royal Hawaiian when I played it this past spring

Such a great course, should be on everyone's must play list.

Royal Hawaiian is in my top 3 on Oahu. I can play it in any condition.

The Palmer course on the other hand is really not up there for me. I don't think it's worth the price at all. I agree with you about the soil, and where it is situated makes the air hot and stagnant. I also don't like that it's marketed as this great ocean front course, when you have zero views of the ocean through 18 holes (unless you walk behind the green on 17.)

I'll take the George Fazio course instead.

Ko'Olina still takes my top spot on Oahu.

Royal Hawaiian is in my top 3 on Oahu. I can play it in any condition.

The Palmer course on the other hand is really not up there for me. I don't think it's worth the price at all. I agree with you about the soil, and where it is situated makes the air hot and stagnant. I also don't like that it's marketed as this great ocean front course, when you have zero views of the ocean through 18 holes (unless you walk behind the green on 17.)

I'll take the George Fazio course instead.

Ko'Olina still takes my top spot on Oahu.

Yeah the AP course was expensive and you're right the only view is the 17th. I'm glad I played it but wouldn't chose is again for another round. I think there is much better golf to be played on Oahu for sure.

Yeah the AP course was expensive and you're right the only view is the 17th. I'm glad I played it but wouldn't chose is again for another round. I think there is much better golf to be played on Oahu for sure.

I will always say makaha valley is the hidden gem of Oahu. It's not a fancy resort course and the conditions are not as nice as some of the others (but still good.) It has great views throughout the course and most days you can get on for $45-75

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Right on! Royal Hawaiian is one I wanted to play while I was there a few months back. The problem was Ko Olina was literally in the back yard of my condo, so I never made it much further than that. I'm going back in a few months and I will play RH this time around. The pics look fantastic man!

Great photos !

I enjoyed playing the Palmer course but I loved the Fazio course even more when I played there 2 years ago.
Ko' Olina was a fantastic play as well. I didn't get a chance to play Royal Hawaiian.

Right on! Royal Hawaiian is one I wanted to play while I was there a few months back. The problem was Ko Olina was literally in the back yard of my condo, so I never made it much further than that. I'm going back in a few months and I will play RH this time around. The pics look fantastic man!

That's another one I hear is amazing! Definitely get to RH on your next trip. You won't be upset, amazing facility!

Great photos !

I enjoyed playing the Palmer course but I loved the Fazio course even more when I played there 2 years ago.
Ko' Olina was a fantastic play as well. I didn't get a chance to play Royal Hawaiian.

Thanks! I didn't get a chance to play Fazio and I hear that Ko' Olina is great from many people. Wish I was able to get there to, but back on the east coast now looking at RH as my work computer background. Sigh.

That is beautiful. I haven't been to Hawaii since the 80's. I need to get back there. Looks amazing.

Great pictures!

The last time I was there, the Royal Hawaiian was being renovated so I am hoping to play there the next time I am on Oahu. Ended up playing at the Hawaii Prince Club and Royal Kunia when I was there. Royal Kunia had some fantastic views of Pearl Harbor throughout the course. Dawn and I are talking about going there in the spring, so hopefully I can check out Royal Hawaiian then.

Fazio is not a good course, so good call there. You missed out on New Ewa beach golf course, arguable the nicest public course on the island and you missed a chance to play with some THP guys. Anyway glad to see you made it to Hawaii and enjoyed yourself.

Great pictures!

The last time I was there, the Royal Hawaiian was being renovated so I am hoping to play there the next time I am on Oahu. Ended up playing at the Hawaii Prince Club and Royal Kunia when I was there. Royal Kunia had some fantastic views of Pearl Harbor throughout the course. Dawn and I are talking about going there in the spring, so hopefully I can check out Royal Hawaiian then.
And they went thru another renovation a few months ago. Ripped out a bunch of trees I mean 1000's. Course doesn't even resemble the old course anymore. It had to be done for drying issues. The fairways dry out much faster now and carts can be taken on the fairway. Koolau there sister course is going thru the same deal.

Great pictures!

That't a bummer that you couldn't play when you were there. Next time you are there, definitely put it high on your priority list. It was a fantastic time, and the whole time you are just in awe over the views. The photos do it absolutely no justice.

Fazio is not a good course, so good call there. You missed out on New Ewa beach golf course, arguable the nicest public course on the island and you missed a chance to play with some THP guys. Anyway glad to see you made it to Hawaii and enjoyed yourself.

I was in Oahu for my honeymoon and went with the wife for the rounds. Next time I am out there I will get some THPers together for some rounds for sure.

Both look much better than when I played them on Father's Day (RH) and in early April. Royal Hawaiian is good for about 6 lost balls if your shots deviate even slightly off line, though!

Both look much better than when I played them on Father's Day (RH) and in early April. Royal Hawaiian is good for about 6 lost balls if your shots deviate even slightly off line, though!

I was getting off the tee much better at Royal Hawaiian then I was a few days earlier at Arnold Palmer. Getting out in the fairway at Royal Hawaiian was huge. I lost two balls the whole round. One was a crazy bounce dead left off a hill on the approach show from the 150 marker and it went down a hill. The other was a par 3 that was short into a deep drop into a stream. So I can't complain if that's the worst I got. Was happy with the 83.

I was getting off the tee much better at Royal Hawaiian then I was a few days earlier at Arnold Palmer. Getting out in the fairway at Royal Hawaiian was huge. I lost two balls the whole round. One was a crazy bounce dead left off a hill on the approach show from the 150 marker and it went down a hill. The other was a par 3 that was short into a deep drop into a stream. So I can't complain if that's the worst I got. Was happy with the 83.

An 83 on RH will be good for your index! Nice round :D.

An 83 on RH will be good for your index! Nice round :D.

Thanks, just one of those days. I have to mention that I hit 4W off most tees, probably only 3 tees with driver. Went 39/44. Started on the back, the kid in the pro shop said the back is easier than the front.

He said that facility was originally meant to have a members side and a public side. I take it the front was originally meant for members. The front was tighter and more technical and the back was a little more open, but still changeling and a ton of fun.

Beautiful scenery. Solid scripting as well.

Video

My favorite part about the tee shots compared to playing at home is that the mountains were so high that there was a dark back drop so you can watch the whole shot.

At home you lose that effect as it's all sky when looking for the ball.

Last edited:
No pic of hole 11 !! One of the signature holes of the entire island ? RH imho has the best selection of par 3's on the island.

Back