Anyone else like to skip around?

will_t

Reaction score
Handicap
I've only been playing a few years, but I always see guys with memberships that ONLY play their home course. I can definitely understand playing the same course every weekend to get your money's worth out of the membership. I suppose there are positives and negatives to both sides but I'd get bored playing the same course every weekend...or even worse, not playing because of adverse weather or traffic. There are at least 10 local courses that I choose between depending on my buddy's schedules, weather, etc.

Anyone else like to skip around? Or would you rather pay a little extra and not have to deal with the common issues (sometimes having inadequate greens, slow play, etc) at public courses?

:cool:

I've only been playing a few years, but I always see guys with memberships that ONLY play their home course. I can definitely understand playing the same course every weekend to get your money's worth out of the membership. I suppose there are positives and negatives to both sides but I'd get bored playing the same course every weekend...or even worse, not playing because of adverse weather or traffic. There are at least 10 local courses that I choose between depending on my buddy's schedules, weather, etc.

Anyone else like to skip around? Or would you rather pay a little extra and not have to deal with the common issues (sometimes having inadequate greens, slow play, etc) at public courses?

:cool:

I hear ya. I always like to play new/different courses. And yes, I'm happily married.

I have only played a small handful of courses that I could be content playing week in week out.

We have a social membership at a nice Country Club but it's one of thee hardest courses in our area. I get 4 rounds included in the membership, but can't ever see myself only playing one course day in and day out. Too many nice courses around me and too many other courses I would like to travel to and play at.

I get bored quickly playing one course over and over again. Always have, always thought I would.

Then, I joined my current club. I don't get bored there ever. I played about 100 rounds on that one course last season, and I'll be at around 60 this season. The course is immaculately maintained, every hole is interesting and challenging depending on pin positions, and the holes don't play the same every time.

It probably just has to be right course to play over and over. It has to be one that suits your eye, has greens that roll how you like them, and one that you really feel fortunate to be able to play every day.

We only have 3 courses I wouldn't mind being a member at but right now I'm content being a nomad.

I'll do like 100 rounds at my course and like 20 at other courses. Its what I can afford.

My membership card works at 12 other golf courses we are in a group with and I get 1/2 price green fees. I would use that more, but my home course is nicer than all of them.

Last edited:
The membership I have at my local country club has a reciprocal with about 20 to 25 other local courses which is nice. I can usually get on those courses with only paying the cart fee. It helps when I want to play somewhere different. Most of the time though I just stick to my home course. I don't ever seem to get bored, probably because I'm not good enough yet to get bored. Maybe if I were dominating the course week in and week out, I'd need that but not yet.

Pretty sure I'd get bored quickly only ever playing one course. Too many around to even consider that.

I used to do the playing everywhere thing when I was a mid handicap and younger. Sure it's fun to play different courses but now with young daughter I can't leave home well before sunrise to be the first few groups out in some courses far away, and can't play too late in the day either cause I still have to pick her up from school.

Playing a few courses locally in addition to my home course do have the benefit, I know the courses quite well and the putting gets much easier.in the past I'd plan a trip to a famous course or two each year, now it just have to wait til my daughter is old enough to enjoy it with me.

Yeah I'm currently trying to play as many courses in Central Ohio as I possibly can. May look at actual membership in the coming years, but right now extremely happy playing a different course every weekend.

That's one of the many reasons I love golf, the new adventures, I'd get bored playing the same course all the time. I'll never be a member anywhere.

I find myself fortunate to live in my county (at least for golf). We have 5 muni courses and all are nicely maintained. So I get to share my rounds at 5 courses and I do mix it up as I get bored if too many at the same place. I always thought that was a negative as for spending a lot of money and playing only one course most all the time. I also think it can skew a handicap a bit. Its nice imo to change scenery, and have different layouts. I know 5 isn't a whole bunch but at least it does create change and better than just 1.

the course I play the most is a very short course in a retirement community lined with houses. I play it 70-100 times a year. Then on the weekends I go play real courses. It is fantastic in letting me say...tee off with nothing but a nine iron today, tomorrow my tee shots all aim to get to the 150 marker and play in from there, next Tuesday maybe fly everything to the hole, Wednesday bump and run everything...it lets me work on various facets of my game while still playing a round of golf.

If it was the only place I played, probably would get bored. Since I use it as a tool to let me play other places...I will probably sign up for the same massively underpriced deal next year (299 bucks for unlimited gold march to October? done)

I've looked seriously into joining several private clubs these past few years. Ultimately though, I chose to spread my available green fee and practice range $$$ around so I could play more courses, more frequently. There are pros and cons to going either way and I'm still not 100% sold that my decision was the right one. But I've also been very fortunate in that the private club that I've been most serious about joining (Millwood G&RC) is one that I get to play pretty regularly as some good friends are members there.

I like going to different courses. The main reason why I'd join a golf club at another point in my life would be for the top notch practice facility to work on what I want to work on instead of hitting off St. Augustine grass at my local range hah.

Now I do play the same course that I like once a month, the other opportunities I have a chance to play it'll be elsewhere. It's cool to travel around, although I dislike driving far hah.

I have my go to course for after work but I try to play different courses weekly. There are just too many courses in the DMV not to do so. Plus it's a change of pace from your home course.

Back