Pace of Play Improvement?

altoidman

Reaction score
I've wondered if golf courses would put a handful of wire marking flags (like they use in tournaments) in carts and perhaps at tee boxes, wouldn't this lead to a better pace of play? I'd certainly use them to help mark other players' balls and move on to look for the next ball in the rough etc. These things are pretty inexpensive, especially in relation to greens fees and i would think with a better pace of play, they can put more golfers on the course. Would you use these if they were readily available? Would it help pace of play?

survey-stake-500x500.jpg

A pretty good idea. The only downside I could see would be people not removing their flags. Imagine you hit a ball into the woods and your buddy says "hey, I flagged it for you." You walk over to the woods and find 3 flags there. And naturally, you check the two wrong flags before finding your ball at the third. Perhaps not enough of a concern to worry about though.

I wouldn't use them. A golf glove or cap or headcover works just fine.

No, I don't think I would use them either.

Hats and gloves all day for me tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It would keep the course mechanic busy grinding reels and bed knives because you know some would get let behind and mess up the mowers

Same. I usually just throw the hat down then go help look for one of the other balls if needed.

yea, that hat has been used too but honestly its actually pretty dumb as for ticks and/or whatever else.

As for the flags? meh, I don't know. maybe

Pace issue I see if looking for the ball in the first place. Pace of play would be much better if everyone had fore caddies, but obviously that's not possible.

I like the idea, but without a staff inserting and removing them, I think they would become a problem.

Now having fore caddies stationed at holes would surely speed the pace of play. I would imagine the investment in 14 kids stationed at holes would pay off in customer enjoyment, quicker (i.e. more) rounds, and having the upscale appeal that allows you to charge a few extra bucks per round.

Those little flags are called Rain birds. FYI. Why I have no idea.

I like the idea, but without a staff inserting and removing them, I think they would become a problem.

Now having fore caddies stationed at holes would surely speed the pace of play. I would imagine the investment in 14 kids stationed at holes would pay off in customer enjoyment, quicker (i.e. more) rounds, and having the upscale appeal that allows you to charge a few extra bucks per round.
They have fore caddies at Wolf creek. Still a 5hr round.

I have no actual data to back this up, however, based on the fact that good golfers can also be slow, I feel like searching for balls makes up a very small percentage for the reason golf is slow.

My friends and I never miss the fairway so this isn't an issue.

LOL JK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those little flags are called Rain birds. FYI. Why I have no idea.

Rain Bird irrigation equipment? Often see those type of flags marking sprinkler heads......

So many things effect pace of play, imho. A few that bug me:

looking for a ball without a club in your hand.

Waiting for the green to clear then not coming close, ever, all round.

Spending more time scoping distance than set up, then not coming close, ever, all round.

Newbies-not a problem. Bad golfers, not a problem. They often pick up. places I play, mostly munis, slow play comes from experienced golfers with unreasonable expectations in relation to their ability.

The reason golf can be slow is because a lot of people are selfish and ignorant. They move slow, talk slow, think slow and golf slow with no thought given to those around them.
Fix the ignorant and the selfish, and you will fix slow play.

I'm waiting to see a course the keeps your credit card on file. Charges $5 for every time the hawkish ranger has to speed you up for falling a hole behind pace. I could see that motivating some decent pace play.

Back to OP. I wouldn't use the flags for the reasons others have previously posted. Usually a gesture to the person whose ball you found is enough for him to get a bead on it. I've never had to use a hat, glove, headcover, etc... to mark a ball I've found.

I was told this was proper etiquette. Whether I can reach the green consistently or not.
I should have added "fairway" as well. Usually men, hitting off the blacks, because "they are long".

They couldn't hit 300 yards (and when has three hundred yards become some kind of magic number for hackers on a muni) to a green or fairway. Everyone in the foursome has to wait for some character to hit his ball off the blacks, because he is long. Ball mostly ends up out of bounds at the 220 mark and the rest of us can then move forward to hit.

I have never hit into a group or green in front of me. I know my limitations.

As the OP suggested, these flags should be mandatory when these "long" hitters use the blacks. They lose more balls than the other three combined.

Damn, I feel much better now.

I wouldn't use them and do not think they would help pace, the slow is not happening after a ball is found, it's finding it in the first place.

I've read about a few software programs that clubs are now using that tracks golf buggies through GPS. This means that marshals can see what groups are holding people up and put them "on the clock". I really think technology is the key to this. Golf clubs can monitor what parts of the course holds people up, if there is particular recurring offenders etc.

Back