Best way to get fit?

F.N.G

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
So I am thinking about going down and getting fit for some shafts. I will more then likely be going to a place with a booth and letting the guy tell me what my best numbers are and then go from feel from there. However I was wondering if it would be a good idea to tell him to turn the big screen off in front of me. That way I cannot see the shot shape and just swing what is natural. I tend to see a shot shape and start adjusting my swing to work with whatever I have in my hand. I would really like to be fit for my natural swing, not a adjusted one that takes a couple swings to find the way I need to manipulate the club to get it to work. Is this common to people. I'm playing between 80-85 depending on the course so I feel as I have a Grove swing enough to be fit. Am I jumping the gun and need to get down to 70's to really take advantage of a proper fitting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Is there any way at all you can get fit somewhere that's outdoors? I say this based on a recent experience. I went to the local fitter, a complete expert and top 100 Golf Digest kind of guy, so he's good. I asked him to bend me at least 1° flat because every set I've owned was flat, so why would it be different now. I hit into the screen, and he utilized Flightscope and video cameras and such, to tell me I was actually swinging +.4° upright at contact with the ball. I didn't need them bent, he said, even though the screen was showing some pulls and draws. Fast forward to vacation in Indianapolis and I go to a fitter that has a range right outside the back door. They just use several strips of lie tape and a lie board and have you hit balls for real. The tape showed I was coming through nearly at 0° lie and I was hitting solid shots down the middle. When I pulled a couple, the fitter said I was getting lazy and not firing my hips and swinging all arms; i.e. the pull. Turns out real world hitting was more beneficial to me because I believed the result, as I could actually see it. Now I know if I screw up and tug a shot or it goes left at all, it was probably me and not an incorrect angle.
#2cents

i am a fan of the outdoor fitting as well. seeing ball flight and the reaction to good and bad swings is far better than hitting into a screen and getting what are usually skewed numbers from launch monitors.

if your only choice is to get fit indoors you will probably just have to not mess with changing your swing to fit a ball flight you want.

As others have mentioned, outdoors if possible.

As for score determining if you can get fit, it doesn't matter. If you it's in your mind to get fit, get fit. Worse case scenario you end up fitting into what you already have and end up with the piece of mind knowing that.

It is not a bad idea to bring a hundred bucks and tell the guy "listen, this stuff is important to me. I am not a weekend hacker. If you spend 2 hrs with me and do a really thorough job, i'll give you a hundred dollar tip. These guys are probably on salary and would love it. I gave the young kid at golf galaxy 40$ and he spent 2 hours with me, did a great job, and ignored all the other people who came in that day. He showed me things with my swing I didnt know about, too!

If you have to give a fitter incentive to provide a good, proper fitting, I would find a different fitter.

I have never been custom fit for any clubs , but the thought has crossed my mind of getting loft and lie adjusted. But seeing as you may stand differently to the ball from time to time this idea seems off to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make it into #TheGrandaddy

I wish it was that easy!! I really need a vacation too.

Well to be fair, multiple THP Events still left have fittings.
Signup and let the chips fall where they may.

Back