Any county fair lovers out there?

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Been a big fair person my whole life. Grew up in agriculture and used to raise and show animals at our local fair. Always been a big part of my summer and something I always enjoy to do. Some people enjoy golfing/fishing/trips as a getaway during the summer months. For me it is attending the fair environment. Luckily we have 4 fairs that run opposite weeks of each other this month into next. The rides/food/exhibits (both adults and children)/ sounds/ and just people watching is entertaining for me. Here is some pics from today. Can't wait to go back for the beef judging later this week. Anyone else big into the summer country fairs ?

ac9b022995a8427ee212a19530a633a0.jpg
c7291a735ff929592a31b19a50100c7f.jpg

09334b7866746fb28fef556bdbe6a2db.jpg

This is what summer is all about to me. Post up some fair pics or any stories from your county fairs. Fun times

I stay away from the food "Vendors" at fairs.

Yuck! And food poisoning is never fun...

I used to enjoy going to the FFA exhibits with my Grandfather. All those country kids out there with their prize cows, chickens, hogs, and such.

Good pics MM, I used to enjoy going when I was younger, haven't been to one in over 15 years.

Been doing the county fair and state fairs my whole life. NC state fair still the best I have been to. But I was there showing horses too so that counts to why I like it so much. Nothing beats the ole tractor pull at the county fair. When I was around 7 I fell asleep and was bent over laying down across my dads lap and one of the tractors blew a turbine. A piece of metal went flying and hit the man that was behind me in the stomach. They had to fly him out for surgery, he did live. Thank God I was asleep or it could have been my head.

I went once and the guy running the bb gun shooting game was huffing glue in a bag and offered me some. No joke i was 12. Never went back

We're big horse people too; so the fairs always revolve around sitting for a few hours watching the horse show. Love the big draft horses but also love the mini 4h kids on their little ponies

Used to love going. Always get funnel cakes there. Never ever get them anyplace else! May have gotten some of them at Worlds of Fun way back when.

My family owns a feed store so I go every year to purchase a few animals and support the 4H and FFA kids. Nothing like a freezer full of fresh pork and beef. Come about April when the bacon runs out I have to get it from the grocery store and it's not nearly as good. The kids always go along for the rides and fair food. My twins will be old enough to do a project animal next year so they have been deciding if they have the time to commit to it between basketball and baseball season.

Any county fair lovers out there?

I grew up around rodeo so a big chunk of my summers were traveling to rodeos at fairs. Still like them and always hit a couple of the small town fairs and the bigger agriculture local ones.

They are so damn expensive now. Makes it hard to want to go, whereas when I was younger it was a true event that couldn't be missed.

Either way, I'll be up in your neck of the woods and visiting the Porter Co. Fair next weekend, MM. Maybe we'll see each other.

I stay away from the food "Vendors" at fairs.

Yuck! And food poisoning is never fun...

There is actually a show on cooking channel I believe, all about Fair Food. I always thought like you did, but I was shocked at some of the stuff they were showing. Apparently the food isn't always poison.

With that said, I haven't been to a fair since I was about 10. I'm not great with crowds.

There is actually a show on cooking channel I believe, all about Fair Food. I always thought like you did, but I was shocked at some of the stuff they were showing. Apparently the food isn't always poison.

With that said, I haven't been to a fair since I was about 10. I'm not great with crowds.

The only reason I go to the TX State fair.... is food. Fried, fried, fried. Amazingness

They are so damn expensive now. Makes it hard to want to go, whereas when I was younger it was a true event that couldn't be missed.

Either way, I'll be up in your neck of the woods and visiting the Porter Co. Fair next weekend, MM. Maybe we'll see each other.
That's a great fair .. I'm playing white hawk today after work.

Texas State Fair is always a good time (even more fun during OU/TX weekend. Some of the new deep fried goodness from last year include:

Deep Fried Sweet Tea
Deep Fried Smoked Brisket
Deep Fried Milk and Cookies on a Stick
and, of course, Chicken Fried Bacon is always on the menu

Back