How to Regrip Your Clubs

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP Classroom is in session and this one with Golf Pride on the proper way to regrip your clubs and the discussion might surprise you. All of the steps are walked through here including grip and tape removal and why some ways that are fairly popular might be doing some harm to the grips.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/regrip-golf-clubs/

maxresdefault (1).jpg

I've been waiting for this video! Always wanted to do this myself.

Love these videos. Nothing like learning right from the source. Hearing that full cord grip crack when he twisted it was crazy.

Great video, I love these instructional/informational tech videos. I could watch this stuff all day!

Very timely - I need new grips on my irons and will probably take the plunge and do it myself thanks to this video!

I have re-gripped my clubs before. Its a fair bit of effort but is easy enough. I would only recommend doing it if you get a good deal on the actual grips in the first place, otherwise probably best just going to your pro.

• Admin
Love these videos. Nothing like learning right from the source. Hearing that full cord grip crack when he twisted it was crazy.

Yeah it is. One of the reasons for us going up there and shooting this one is because of the horror stories we are hearing as of late. After doing some digging, we wanted the most complete regripping video out there and I think Bruce nailed it.

Heat gun to remove the grip.... genius. That's always the worst part IMO. Great video and very informative!

Solid classroom video there, I'm a fan of air but luckily don't like corded grips but that does make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great video. These tips will definitely be helpful when I get around to putting together my regripping station.

I've always wanted to re-grip my own clubs. They make it seem so easy!

How often is it recommended to regrip your clubs?

That is definitely the ultimate regripping video. Other than having the vice setup for installation, everything else was the way I install mine. It's so easy when you get the hang of it and satisfying to not have to rely on someone else to do it. Plus, I can make sure to get everything as lined up as possible compared to what someone else may deem acceptable.

Very cool video. I used to use compressed air to remove grips, til I had one blow up. I was doing it on my lunch break at work in my shop. When that thing blew, it was so loud that everyone in the building ran out to see what happened. I guess explosions in a power plant are a bad thing. :D

Very cool video. I used to use compressed air to remove grips, til I had one blow up. I was doing it on my lunch break at work in my shop. When that thing blew, it was so loud that everyone in the building ran out to see what happened. I guess explosions in a power plant are a bad thing. :D

Glad it wasn't serious but this made me laugh.

Well I am glad to know that I have been regripping my clubs correctly!

How often is it recommended to regrip your clubs?

The rule of thumb I have heard is to regrip after 40 rounds.

That video was nicely done! Thanks!

I've been gripping my clubs myself for many years using the techniques in the video but I did notice he does two things that I haven't been doing. 1 - using heat on the tape is something I've never done, but I will be going forward. 2 - I've been pouring the mineral spirits out of the grip from the other end, I don't know why I just never thought about pouring it through the hole on the butt, which would be much easier - duh!

Get a bag club divider (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068P4UQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_9dZGzbRFJ4D1V), cut it down to size and slide it over the grip before you apply air, the grip does not balloon, or explode. Easy on off!

I have had no issues using air on all grips...just my experience.

. . . which is why I use a PVC pipe over the grip and the lowest air pressure I can get away with. I like the bag divider idea also.

Great job! Everything I could possibly want to know about regripping. Not only the what and how but the why. This one will make me try solvent the next time I do it, which will be soon.

I really enjoyed the video. I stopped using compressed air on grips because I found they wore out much quicker - now I know why.

1 - using heat on the tape is something I've never done, but I will be going forward.

I accidentally stumbled upon it and my goodness it was a game changer in regards to re-gripping. It cut my re-gripping time by easily 2/3 as I spent most of my time removing old tape. Now I heat and peel and it's done.

Get a bag club divider (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068P4UQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_9dZGzbRFJ4D1V), cut it down to size and slide it over the grip before you apply air, the grip does not balloon, or explode. Easy on off!

I have had no issues using air on all grips...just my experience.

. . . which is why I use a PVC pipe over the grip and the lowest air pressure I can get away with. I like the bag divider idea also.

Great job! Everything I could possibly want to know about regripping. Not only the what and how but the why. This one will make me try solvent the next time I do it, which will be soon.

Yeah I know. I was cutting corners. :D

I actually prefer using solvent personally. Easier to line them up, and alot quieter.

Great video - i liked the difference in gripping a regular grip and cord grip as well as the reasoning behind solvent vs air.

Back