Putting help - Boy do I need it!

Brucem609

Rum Afficianado
Reaction score
Handicap
So, let me just say it I am a terrible putter- I used to be good, automatic, never a 3 putt!
Now, have 4-5 3putts per round. Can't make a 4' putt. Yesterday had 5 three putts, missed 2 four footers for par and shot 91. Take away 1 from each 3 put, and make those 4 footers, I am 84!
I need help, REAL BAD!
I have 2scotty Cameron's
i have 2 pings
I have 1 cure putter
i have the new spider putter
i have a Rife 2 bar putter.
i take them all to the practice green and none are better than the other.
no consistency.
anybody have something to help?
thanks

Last edited:
So, let me just say it I am a terrible putter- I used to be good, automatic, never a 3 putt!
Now, have 4-5 3putts per round. Can't make a 4' putt. Yesterday had 5 three putts, missed 2 four footers for par and shot 91. Take away 1 from each 3 put, and make those 4 footers, I am 84!
I need help, REAL BAD!
I have 2scotty Cameron's
i have 2 pings
I have 1 cure putter
no consistency.
thanks

We saw your "flag up!" Find a SPi instructor near you - http://www.seemore.com/info/certified-instructors/
Let them show you how simple it is to hide a red dot and your putting will become much more consistent in making putts. Or give us a call at 615-435-8015 / info@seemore.com.

I'll help by taking one of you Scotty Cameron's, that will give you less to think about,
Im not the greatest putter either but am getting a little better, I've found if I'm a bit more aggressive in my stroke I make most of my 2-4 ft and my long 10ft + I'm inside about 1ft down hill is still my biggest issue

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

There are lots of ways to get better. The SPI approach above will teach you a method. There are many methods to putting, all of which can effective.

The big question will be which method can you repeat successfully when you are standing over the putt. Once you select a method you need to commit to the method and use a putter that gives you the best results for that method. Don't switch putters when you hit a bad streak focus on the mechanics because you should already have obtained the putter that works.

You also can't just measure makes and misses because once the ball leaves the putters face you no longer have any control.

While putting isn't a long fast stroke it is harder than most people will admit and there are a lot of variables that should be considered. Most pros don't do a good job of teaching putting.

This thread would be very long if we went over "how to be a better putter"

Just as cnosil said ... there are a lot of ways to get better.

Have a pre-shot routing with putting just like you do with your regular swing. & stick to it every time, no matter the length of the putt.

This is mine:
1. Look at the line of the putt from behind the ball to get a feel for the line. Actually start examining the green as your walking to it.
2. Look from the side to get a feel for the contour and where the breaks are.
3. One last look behind the ball & pick a spot where you think it's going to break (remember every putt is a straight putt)
4. Walk into the line of the putt, continuing to look at the spot where you want to hit it
5. Align the putter to the side of the ball, take 2 practice putting strokes while looking at the spot (to get a feel for the speed ... i.e. how hard to hit it)
6. Then I align the putter with my right hand at the target, take my stance, eyes just inside the ball (some people like it directly over it but not me), left hand goes on
7. One last look at the line ... line, then ball ....
8. Exhale breath .... putt. Vary the length of the back stroke depending on the length of the putt. Never a short back swing, then stabbing at the ball in the thru stroke.

I could go on but you get the idea (I could write a book about putting I have so many ideas) but .... who has the time for that! HA!

step 1. read dave stockton's unconscious putting. if you've read it before, read it again.

step 2. get your stroke on camera. get a down-the-line (behind the ball) and face down (directly over the ball). it was eye-opening to see how bad my stroke had gotten.

from step 2, you might be able to diagnose what's going on, then tailor some drills to address that.

right now for me, set up is a huge focus. i have a tendency to put too much weight on my right side, and to line up open with my feet but square with my shoulders which makes it very difficult to be square in the stroke. this is bleeding into every part of my game, and when i focus and get things squared up (feet, knees, shoulders, and weight), the game is so much easier.

i have a putting arc and sindelar clip i can send you if you're interested. just pay shipping and they're yours.

The best thing I did for my putting was do a putter fitting with a SAM Lab - http://www.scienceandmotion.com/. Once we determined by stroke type and fit me properly to a putter, I was then able to really focus on my setup and technique. I've gone from a horrendous, 36-40+ putts/round putter to a decent putter.

I was buying putters about every 3-4 months for a few years there thinking a new putter would fix it. I was so wrong.

The best thing I did for my putting was do a putter fitting with a SAM Lab - http://www.scienceandmotion.com/. Once we determined by stroke type and fit me properly to a putter, I was then able to really focus on my setup and technique. I've gone from a horrendous, 36-40+ putts/round putter to a decent putter.

I was buying putters about every 3-4 months for a few years there thinking a new putter would fix it. I was so wrong.

i think this is great advice for someone who has a relatively sound stroke. my stroke was so bad, the fitting wasn't helpful.

i think this is great advice for someone who has a relatively sound stroke. my stroke was so bad, the fitting wasn't helpful.

Mine was not very good either and by no means sound, but the fitter was able to determine my overall tendency and go from there.

I need help, REAL BAD!
I have 2scotty Cameron's
i have 2 pings
I have 1 cure putter
no consistency.
thanks

Do you play the same course all the time? I find when I play different courses with different speed greens it really affects my putting and I usually put MUCH better on slower greens. On Thursday I had 1 three put playing at Carstairs with slow greens which were in really great shape, then when I went back to Silverwing yesterday (my home course with medium speed greens) I had 6 three puts...It was extremely windy though and it even effected the balls roll on the greens, but it was still horrible putting by me. It also works in reverse, when I play a course with really fast greens and I go back to Silverwing it seems to help my putting there.

Also a put will generally break more as the ball slows down, so as it gets closer to the hole it will will usually be more affected by the break.

Fit yourself on line (length / lie) for a SeeMore, choose the weight and style you like, ask SeeMore should you have questions, add favorite (most successful) grip, buy the SeeMore instructional video, sell other putters.
Practice straight putts only until you are confident with the putter and the SeeMore method.
Read a book on the mental aspect of putting.
Practice reading greens, often an overlooked component.
Practice leaving the ball where you want your second putt to be and the easiest spot to make it.
Focus on distance from long range.
Don't pick up or look at another putter.
End of story.
You are welcome.

Back