Cleveland Golf New TFI Smart Square Putter

I've sort of fallen back in love with the Smart Square, and of course this putter is now in the back of my mind. I always seem to putt better with it than the standard model at the store, but I can't put a finger on why. Nate (and any others who have been playing this) - any more long-term thoughts on the putter vs. the original? Thanks!

Happening to me as well...

One of those things where I want to blame my stroke going to hell on the putter, but spent some time with both putters on course and on the practice green, and the Smart Square is just so good from a distance control standpoint.

I might wait to see what this new Cleveland Putter is, but the TFI is probably going to make its way into my bag at some point.

Cleveland Golf New TFI Smart Square Putter

Lag putts on slower greens are tough for me with the OG SS. Thinking the TFI might help

I've sort of fallen back in love with the Smart Square, and of course this putter is now in the back of my mind. I always seem to putt better with it than the standard model at the store, but I can't put a finger on why. Nate (and any others who have been playing this) - any more long-term thoughts on the putter vs. the original? Thanks!

One of those things where I want to blame my stroke going to hell on the putter, but spent some time with both putters on course and on the practice green, and the Smart Square is just so good from a distance control standpoint.

I might wait to see what this new Cleveland Putter is, but the TFI is probably going to make its way into my bag at some point.

Still playing it and enjoying it. But I might sit tight till the info comes out with the Up and Down event. I know JB is excited about what's in store and I for sure will be waiting to see what it is.

The only one of the Smart Square putters that I tried and liked from their last line was the single square (block on a stick). I think it might have just been a training aid? I really only liked it because it helped me roll my real putter a lot better after using it for a bit while practicing.
This one though. Purely opinion, but they missed big time in the aesthetics department. Some people say that they would put with a brick tied to a broom handle if it helped them sink more putts. I'm not in that camp. I can not get comfortable over something that I don't like the looks of. This would fall in that category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a training aid, yes.

The squares work, in fact, they work silly well.

Some people say that they would put with a brick tied to a broom handle if it helped them sink more putts. I'm not in that camp. I can not get comfortable over something that I don't like the looks of. This would fall in that category.

I do believe most people who say that are full of it. Aesthetics matter. I do think the contrast with this putter makes it more appealing, I think the mix of white and the metal face make it look less cheap

I do believe most people who say that are full of it. Aesthetics matter. I do think the contrast with this putter makes it more appealing, I think the mix of white and the metal face make it look less cheap

I'd agree that it looks higher quality than the last iteration. Just way too busy with too many different lines and colors for me that don't seem to go to together (to my eye).

Factual information. The OG Smartsquare is back in my bag

I've been using the old one a bit more lately after spending time with both my putters on the practice green. I don't think there's ANYTHING better than that alignment aid for the 4-5 foot putt in terms of getting aligned correctly. The difference was most noticeable at that length for me.

The only one of the Smart Square putters that I tried and liked from their last line was the single square (block on a stick). I think it might have just been a training aid? I really only liked it because it helped me roll my real putter a lot better after using it for a bit while practicing.
This one though. Purely opinion, but they missed big time in the aesthetics department. Some people say that they would put with a brick tied to a broom handle if it helped them sink more putts. I'm not in that camp. I can not get comfortable over something that I don't like the looks of. This would fall in that category.

I'd putt with this one if it worked great but I don't love the looks of it. Lot of different looks going on that don't blend well to me. The original SS I like the looks of just fine.

Have a Garsen Max headed my way to try with the TFI. Will be replacing the edge. Excited about this combo.

Have a Garsen Max headed my way to try with the TFI. Will be replacing the edge. Excited about this combo.
This will be interesting. I think you will enjoy it, but not sure you will like it as much as the edge.

I'm late to the party but I would love to hear your comments regarding the TFI/Garsen Max combo.

I'm late to the party but I would love to hear your comments regarding the TFI/Garsen Max combo.

I like the grip esp. with the SS putter. The SS head is bigger and longer than most so the wide grip tends to keep the hands and face still through the swing. I've since moved to the 2135 6.5 and am still using the factory Cleveland grip on it but may switch to the Garsen early this spring. Don't know if I'll go with the Max as I tend to leave the putter face open at contact and the Max would be better suited for someone that shuts the face too early.

I like the grip esp. with the SS putter. The SS head is bigger and longer than most so the wide grip tends to keep the hands and face still through the swing. I've since moved to the 2135 6.5 and am still using the factory Cleveland grip on it but may switch to the Garsen early this spring. Don't know if I'll go with the Max as I tend to leave the putter face open at contact and the Max would be better suited for someone that shuts the face too early.

Thanks for your comments Nate.

I'm presently evaluating several Cleveland putters including the 35" CB Halo SS, 35" TFI CB 2135 8.0, and TFI 2135 6.5. With respect to the Cleveland/Lampkin grips, the 15" CB grips they are outstanding in my hands, just love the size and texture/feel of these grips. Unfortunately the 2135 6.5 comes with a smaller 11" version (non-counterbalanced) of the Lampkin grip which just feels too thin for my hands. I'm presently looking for one (or more) of the Lampkin 15" CB grips to replace standard grip on the 6.5. The other option I'm going to try is putting the Garsen Edge or Max on the 6.5.

Will also be putting some Garsen grips on my Cure RX-3F and SeeMore Giant.

I'm presently evaluating several Cleveland putters including the 35" CB Halo SS, 35" TFI CB 2135 8.0, and TFI 2135 6.5. With respect to the Cleveland/Lampkin grips, the 15" CB grips they are outstanding in my hands, just love the size and texture/feel of these grips. Unfortunately the 2135 6.5 comes with a smaller 11" version (non-counterbalanced) of the Lampkin grip which just feels too thin for my hands. I'm presently looking for one (or more) of the Lampkin 15" CB grips to replace standard grip on the 6.5. The other option I'm going to try is putting the Garsen Edge or Max on the 6.5.

Sounds about right. I also think the 6.5 grip feels pretty small in the hands but wanted to try it out for awhile before I cut it out. It does have a nice soft feel to it though. I just like the hand position the Garsen grip puts me in which is the big seller. Will probably start with the standard edge and then go from there.

Post up in the 2135 thread if you end up putting that one in play! Cleveland 2135 Putter Preview

Sounds about right. I also think the 6.5 grip feels pretty small in the hands but wanted to try it out for awhile before I cut it out. It does have a nice soft feel to it though. I just like the hand position the Garsen grip puts me in which is the big seller. Will probably start with the standard edge and then go from there.

Post up in the 2135 thread if you end up putting that one in play! Cleveland 2135 Putter Preview

I did a mini review in that thread just prior to my 6.5 arriving last week.

The final reviews will have to wait until the spring when the golf season begins.

I did a mini review in that thread just prior to my 6.5 arriving last week.

The final reviews will have to wait until the spring when the golf season begins.

Missed that! Will go check it out.

I have my eye on the SS Halo and SS Halo CB as well. I cant find any pictures of the CB Lampkin grip online though. I am curious how it compares to the super stroke CB that is on the Odyssey Tank putters. I'm a pretty big SS 2.0 fan and I would hate to buy the Halo CB and have to replace the grip, would seem counter intuitive. What stinks is no retailer around here has any of them for me to see/try.

Any thoughts or pictures would be awesome.

I have my eye on the SS Halo and SS Halo CB as well. I cant find any pictures of the CB Lampkin grip online though. I am curious how it compares to the super stroke CB that is on the Odyssey Tank putters. I'm a pretty big SS 2.0 fan and I would hate to buy the Halo CB and have to replace the grip, would seem counter intuitive. What stinks is no retailer around here has any of them for me to see/try.

Any thoughts or pictures would be awesome.

Finding Cleveland putters in Canadian stores is next to impossible so buying them "blind" and online was the only option available to me. Fortunately the TFI putters are typically quite a bit less expensive than most other quality putters, so the financial risk is somewhat minimized. I have no experience with the Odyssey Tank putters so I can't help you with that, but I've tried several of the SS grips (1.3xl, 2.0xl, 3.0xl, 5.0 Fatso). While I don't dislike the SS grips there are others that just feel better in my hands, and IMO putting is so much about feel. For example, I prefer the Winn 1.32 grips over the 1.3 SS grips due to their rounder, smother and more tacky feel. YMMV. Also, just yesterday I ordered a few Garsen putter grips to see how they will compare with the others.

Personally I would give the nod to CB Halo over the non-CB Halo for the grip differences alone. While the CB version is heavier, the additional weight is not felt very much because it is so well balanced. The CB club just naturally wants to swing. The feel at impact and the wonderful sound is the best of any putter that I've owned. A close second with respect to feel and sound would be the FTI 2135 8.0 which is also a CB putter. Again YMMV.

I've already sent an email to Lamkin regarding their 15" CB grip and I hoping to get my hands on a few more of these little gems. Later on today I'll post some pictures here showing the differences between the 15" CB vs the 11" standard version. Hope this helps.

Just ordered the non CB Halo. Didn't want to spend the extra $ on the CB and probably replace the grip first thing. I think a non CB might actually be better for me anyway after my Tank 1W experiment. Love my original smart square and thinking the TFI will give a more desirable feel.

Will post pics and give initial feedback when I get it. (And have grip replaced of course)

Congrats on your new putter and I'm sure that you'll enjoy the TFI experience very much. No need to post pictures of the grips now.

My Halo is on its way. It may be freezing outside but I'm looking forward to rolling it!

Back