Ping G400 Driver Has Given Me a Massive Slice

dgbarar

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello All,

I am new to the Hackers Paradise forum. I have been updating my equipment this year. Palmer Standards to Ping i200s. Love these new irons.

However, I am less than excited about my new driver. In the past, I had used Taylor Made Quad 425, 10.5 degrees loft, stiff shaft, with the 12 grams weights to the back. With this club I was hitting my drives about 210 yards but had issues at times with a significant hook.

I recently was fitted with a Ping G400, 10.5 degrees loft with a Tour 65 regular flex shaft. I am now suffering from a massive slice that I am unable to control regardless of the shaft settings. I am striking the ball in generally the optimal location. In fact, I had one drive today where I know the strike was above center and slightly towards the toe--an optimal ball strike, yet there was a massive slice.

More about me. I am 60 years old. With the G400, the ball velocity is about 125 MPH and spin about 2200 - 2500 RPMs. I have confirmed my grip, ball location, and backswing has the toe in front of the heel.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Don

Welcome to THP! I'm sure you'll get some great advise from some of our VERY knowledgeable THPers.

The reason I posted as a separate thread was that I was seeking a gross comparison that might result in why the significant difference in ball flight. I believe that with the weights in the back of the TM make the weighting with the G400 somewhat similar. The two obvious differences are the shaft (stiff in the TM and regular in the G400) and the fact that the g400 sits so much further open when soled.

Don

Were you slicing it during the fitting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just got a new G400 with a stiff flex shaft and was able to go from a slice with my old G25 driver to a slight draw during my fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP! Lots of great content here, that'll have you fixing that slice in no time.

I was moving even the SFT left to right with ease, but that is my natural flight so I liked seeing it.

Hello All,

I am new to the Hackers Paradise forum. I have been updating my equipment this year. Palmer Standards to Ping i200s. Love these new irons.

However, I am less than excited about my new driver. In the past, I had used Taylor Made Quad 425, 10.5 degrees loft, stiff shaft, with the 12 grams weights to the back. With this club I was hitting my drives about 210 yards but had issues at times with a significant hook.

I recently was fitted with a Ping G400, 10.5 degrees loft with a Tour 65 regular flex shaft. I am now suffering from a massive slice that I am unable to control regardless of the shaft settings. I am striking the ball in generally the optimal location. In fact, I had one drive today where I know the strike was above center and slightly towards the toe--an optimal ball strike, yet there was a massive slice.

More about me. I am 60 years old. With the G400, the ball velocity is about 125 MPH and spin about 2200 - 2500 RPMs. I have confirmed my grip, ball location, and backswing has the toe in front of the heel.

Don

Welcome to THP.

Your ballspeed translates into a mid-80's speed if you're hitting it nearly on the screws. You may not need a 65g shaft, and you probably need more spin at that speed. What is your angle of attack? You might try and see how a 54g shaft works to help you gain more speed.

I've hit that driver. It does not cause a slice.

Post a vid for Freddie and he can help. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

Hello All,

Don

The simple answer is, your club face is open at impact. This could be as simple as you not being behind the ball at impact. If you slide past the ball prior to impact this will keep the face open.

When I tested the SFT I put a few nasty pull-fade swings on the ball and was really surprised with the forgiveness of the club head and most didn't fall too far from my intended target line.

So, it's not the club head. But I wouldn't discount other factors (shaft, weight, flex, swing weight, etc.) and how they might be affecting your swing.

Back