Just bought an Optishot 2 simulator

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
It was slightly used. Looks like it was never used.
I haven't figured out all if the settings.
It isn't a full blown simulator, but it is more than a toy.
It is more realistic than x- box.
For what I paid, it was well worth it.

I've seen a lot of tests on these.
Does anybody have some long term results on theirs?

That's pretty cool. I almost bought an optishot last year, I've heard good things. Post some pics of your setup if you get a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a new one in the box. Haven't installed my screen yet.

We just set it up in my garage.( Backed the cars out) No net and hitting foam balls.
I'm building on to the back of my shop, and will have an enclosed area just for that.

I just bought one too (used) I will get it dropped off today and im quite looking forward to having a play, I have quite a tight space but I can swing a driver fully so that's all I need, I just have to rig some kind of mat or net that stays upright on a wood floor

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I got one from my wife for Christmas in 2015. I spent a good part of January and February in my garage using it. I hung a tarp from the ceiling and used foam balls to hit into that and then I bought one of the mats for the garage with the space cut out to fit the Optishot unit itself. I was able to swing all of my clubs without any restrictions.

I had a major hang-up with it though. I found that the sensors behind the ball felt too close for me. I could never actually swing unless I had the ball on a tee and I was using a lower lofted club. I was petrified that I'd catch one fat and it would smash the sensors. I seemed to be taking 70% swings with anything with more loft than a 6 iron.

I got pretty good on the 'course' and really spent a lot of time on the range. I used it to work on some swing changes. Because of the feedback of the club path (which was a major focus of my changes)... I was able to adjust and make my changes. I couldn't WAIT to get out on the course.

I went out in late January and played a local course. I topped of hit 80% of my shots thin that day. I had 'learned' not to hit down on the ball for fear of smashing those sensors. I was trying to pick everything like I had done in my garage. I started my 2016 tournament season in February and played horribly. My first few tournaments of the season resulted in 117, 110, 98 and 103. My handicap ballooned to a 17.0 index as of the April 1, 2016 revision and I had enough.

I fully intended to purchase one of the upgraded covers that more closely simulated grass and provided proper cushioning for my Optishot, but I never did. Instead... I put it away and I haven't touched it since the late part of March 2016.

I continued to struggle, but I improved slightly between the end of May and the beginning of September. At that point, I joined a country club and carried a 14.6 index. I've made use of the practice facilities and the course and I'm currently a 10.3 index with my index trending to a 9.3 as of the next revision.

I had tons of fun with the Optishot. I had plans to install an overhead projector, get a proper cage so I could hit real balls and I really wanted to go all out with it. I think, with the proper setup, it could be a great tool... especially during the winter if you're in a cold weather climate. My mistake was not investing in one of the available 'true grass' covers and it hurt me.

I'd strongly suggest it if you intend to use it to work on your game at all. It DID help to change my out-to-in swing path to more of an in-to-out path, which has also helped my game immensely. The BEST thing that came from it was that my kids got to hit some shots in the garage with me. My daughters just finished up their first season of PGA Jr. League and I credit the Optishot unit with piquing their interest.

Have fun with it!

- Chuck

It's a good toy.

My wife like to play in the garage with me on rainy days.

In our next house we'll set it up with the projector and it'll get a lot more use.

I'm looking at the real grass type pads.

I just got the Optishot2 for Christmas from my wife. looking to get a net for the living room (vaulted ceilings)... I have too many restrictions in my garage space. Anyone have any tips on accessories? Especially any easy to set-up and teardown nets. I will use foam balls, so i just down want to break any decorations etc. ;)

I haven't had the time to mess with mine in a while.
A cheap net with folding frame works with the foam balls.

I may be able to do the garage still... that way I can build a platform to be level standing with it

I may be able to do the garage still... that way I can build a platform to be level standing with it

I wanting to build an office/storage room onto the back of my shop.
It will have a tall ceiling, and a recess in the floor for the optishot.
When not in use, I'll put a plate or something in the hole.

I had been thinking about buying one of these to kill time in the winter. I keep going back and forth on picking one of these up or keep saving up for something a little more high end.

I had been thinking about buying one of these to kill time in the winter. I keep going back and forth on picking one of these up or keep saving up for something a little more high end.

I was hesitant about it. The guy sold it to me for $85 including shipping.
He had only used it a couple of times, but was moving to an apartment and couldn't use it there.
I need to mess with mine more.

Assuming you have room go skytrak, they were like down to $1600 last I saw and you get the added bonus of a practice item over fun toy

Assuming you have room go skytrak, they were like down to $1600 last I saw and you get the added bonus of a practice item over fun toy

That's the way I lean right now. I have the room in my garage and think it might be worth just waiting awhile and building up the funds.

We tried playing some courses, and the putting part was weird.
Since 'simulated' putting would probably mess me up, we decided on the 'gimme' putt system.

the big thing from what I have read and seen so far is:

1. Do you have a space for it to use it....

2. get level with it (make it part of the mat/standing surface)

3. Have the time for it...

I am trying to get the right area set-up so I can get things dialed in on it, but I have enjoyed the process so far.

Bringing this one back. I recently moved, and my garage is screaming for a simulator (tandem 3 gar garage with the back bay being 12'x22' with 10' ceiling.) I've been looking (because I need to do it as cheap as possible) at an Optishot 2. Looking on Amazon, it's looking like I can do the whole thing (screen, projector, optishot, mat, etc.) for a very reasonable price. I have no experience with the optishot and most of my sim dealings have been with GC2 in the stores and Trackman at my fitter. Is the Optishot worth having? I'm not looking for perfection... just something I can set up and look at ball flight, etc.

Bringing this one back. I recently moved, and my garage is screaming for a simulator (tandem 3 gar garage with the back bay being 12'x22' with 10' ceiling.) I've been looking (because I need to do it as cheap as possible) at an Optishot 2. Looking on Amazon, it's looking like I can do the whole thing (screen, projector, optishot, mat, etc.) for a very reasonable price. I have no experience with the optishot and most of my sim dealings have been with GC2 in the stores and Trackman at my fitter. Is the Optishot worth having? I'm not looking for perfection... just something I can set up and look at ball flight, etc.

I'd say go for it. If you already have the setup you can add a SkyTrak or another more serious option when funds allow. Just don't take your results too seriously with the Optishot. It's pretty darn limited and I'd consider it more of a fun toy than a serious piece of equipment. It's a good way to keep loose over the winter, etc.

That said, any simulator is WAY better than no simulator. :)

I'd say go for it. If you already have the setup you can add a SkyTrak or another more serious option when funds allow. Just don't take your results too seriously with the Optishot. It's pretty darn limited and I'd consider it more of a fun toy than a serious piece of equipment. It's a good way to keep loose over the winter, etc.

That said, any simulator is WAY better than no simulator. :)

Yeah I think I might do that. For me, living in California, it's not a weather thing. It's more of a time thing. By the time I get home from work, it's usually too late to go hit balls. Looking on Amazon, an optishot 2, 8x10 screen, mat, and projector will run me around $700. Granted the projector is one of the cheaper 1080p projectors I could find. :D

Yeah I think I might do that. For me, living in California, it's not a weather thing. It's more of a time thing. By the time I get home from work, it's usually too late to go hit balls. Looking on Amazon, an optishot 2, 8x10 screen, mat, and projector will run me around $700. Granted the projector is one of the cheaper 1080p projectors I could find. :D

Living in Ohio it's more of a weather thing. Leaves are going to be an in issue soon then winter will be an issue. Bleck. I'd like to set one up in my vaulted living room but Mrs Smiter won't allow it. I guess I understand it (she doesn't like it when I'm happy, lol)

Best I've got is a net and mat in the basement. I can hit full GW so long as I don't finish high. Since my weakest area is 30-80 yards in I may pick up a Voice Caddy and just work on that range all winter in the basement. I've never struggled with this range before this year but I'm constantly airmailing greens now. I think it has a lot to do with me having glasses and being able to actually see now. I'd like to know the flag was say 52 yards and be able to pitch the ball within 3-4 yards of it. Not 15 yards past like I've done a ton this year. That alone has probably added 6-8 strokes a round in average it's that bad.

My neighbor has one of these and it is a POS.
Never gets good readings, always having to change the LED's.
I tried to get him to pass on this, but he wanted to start cheap and move up from there.
Now he is saying that he wishes he just went with the SkyTrak to start with.

I bought an Optishot 2 today. It's done nothing but rain and snow here in NC and not being able to swing a club is killing me. Sure - I could just put a mat down and have at it - but that's not very stimulating and you get zero feedback. I read up a lot on this option before pulling the trigger. Those comparing it to the Skytrak - well, to be kind, it's a silly comparison. At less than $300 dollars there IS not comparison. The other issue that is pretty key for me is that I can't hit real balls in my living room. I don't have a large space to install a real simulator. Best I can do is push the furniture aside in my living room (that has a vaulted ceiling). I don't have the room, nor is it feasible to use a net. And since other simulators require hitting a real ball, they're out. The Optishot 2 allows you to hit almost or other foam balls and still functions.

I get some of the critiques. It's not anywhere near as accurate as a true simulator. Doesn't give you all that accurate data. But then again - I'm not spending upwards of 2 grand and don't need an open basement and safety equipment to keep from damaging a room and its contents. For me, I hope that it's entertaining, gives me the chance to swing my clubs in my living room, and gives me some limited feedback when I strike the ball well and when I don't. It's a lot better than just sitting around thinking or posting about golf :)

I did invest in a mat that the Optishot 2 sits in bringing me level with the hitting surface , and also some plugs so I can put the ball flush on the mat without having to use a tee. And also purchased some Calloway foam balls. I plan on connecting my tablet to my TV via HDMI, and hitting the balls right at my big screen. We'll see if this is a total waste of time, or if as I predict it will be a fun way to keep swinging this winter even if it doesn't provide perfect 'simulation'.

Last edited:
Back