Just bought an Optishot 2 simulator

I bought an Optishot 2 today. It's done nothing but rain and snow here in NC and not being able to swing a club is killing me. Sure - I could just put a mat down and have at it - but that's not very stimulating and you get zero feedback. I read up a lot on this option before pulling the trigger. Those comparing it to the Skytrak - well, to be kind, it's a silly comparison. At less than $300 dollars there IS not comparison. The other issue that is pretty key for me is that I can't hit real balls in my living room. I don't have a large space to install a real simulator. Best I can do is push the furniture aside in my living room (that has a vaulted ceiling). I don't have the room, nor is it feasible to use a net. And since other simulators require hitting a real ball, they're out. The Optishot 2 allows you to hit almost or other foam balls and still functions.

I get some of the critiques. It's not anywhere near as accurate as a true simulator. Doesn't give you all that accurate data. But then again - I'm not spending upwards of 2 grand and don't need an open basement and safety equipment to keep from damaging a room and its contents. For me, I hope that it's entertaining, gives me the chance to swing my clubs in my living room, and gives me some limited feedback when I strike the ball well and when I don't. It's a lot better than just sitting around thinking or posting about golf :)

I did invest in a mat that the Optishot 2 sits in bringing me level with the hitting surface , and also some plugs so I can put the ball flush on the mat without having to use a tee. And also purchased some Calloway foam balls. I plan on connecting my tablet to my TV via HDMI, and hitting the balls right at my big screen. We'll see if this is a total waste of time, or if as I predict it will be a fun way to keep swinging this winter even if it doesn't provide perfect 'simulation'.

You can use no ball as well. That is what I do.

You can use no ball as well. That is what I do.

Limited time today, but impressed with ease of setup. Software was easy to download and install, pretty intuitive interface. Loaded in all my clubs technical specs (although not sure that was really necessary). Will connect it all up tomorrow and at least demo a few clubs and see how it goes. I'm curious if a light source is really necessary - sounded like a lot of folks shine a fluorescent lamp on the sensors to improve performance (I'd rather not have to do that but we'll see).

Would love to hear how you like yours?

So, played with this a bit this morning and here were my initial thoughts...

1) I have a larger mat coming that the Optishot will fit into. I think that will feel more natural than just trying to hit off the Optishot alone, and I'll be on a more level surface with the Optishot. I also ordered a thick, more grasslike top for the Optishot itself. Getting used to taking a normal swing indoors will take some time.

2) At first, I could not get my shots to register swinging just the club alone - only very sporadically would register. Played with a fluorescent light near the sensors but that still didn't fix it. Interestingly enough, once I started using foam balls, it immediately started registering. I don't have any idea why that would be the case, but it was. EDIT: I think I had the 'ball type' set to foam balls, so that's likely why it struggled to detect my swings without a ball

3) With the caveat that I wasn't taking the full swing I would on a real range, the distances were off somewhat as I changed irons. I entered my club specs into the custom club section last night but distances were well short. I'm going to try to use the default 'Game Improvement' clubset and see if the distances synch up more closely with my usual ones. It does give you the option of increasing your distance per club if it's not registering accurately.

I think once I get my mat and improved hitting surface set up, and the distances more dialed in, this will be a nice supplement to range time and give me at least an option to swing clubs when the weather is severe. I know there may only be a few Optishot users here but would love to hear from you if you have one and use it :)

Last edited:
Back