Question For Those That Attend THP Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest I think there is a responsibility to an extent. Review the equipment for a period of time, a month or two, provide feedback on the things you like and don't and if something works better then game that.

If the equipment at an event doesn't interest you then don't sign up. I think that part is simple. I know I have passed up events for things that didn't interest me and I think that is perfectly fine

I don't mean to pile on him either. Because I'm willing to bet there are a number of others that have the same take. Just sort of interesting to me. I don't sign up for events for the gear. Honestly it would be cheaper to just buy the gear and not pay for travel. Events to be are about THP, THPers and amazing courses.

But when people are saying there is a responsibility to review/test the equipment then part of signing up is the gear.

An interesting take, especially considering the Cure Event didn't sell out.

We re of course all free to do what we want, but the way I saw it; THP + THPers + Longaberger + Interesting putter tech = worth my time.
What the back does that have to do with the OP?
But since you said that, I will say THP'ers + 4 championship courses + very low price = awesome

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I don't mean to pile on him either. Because I'm willing to bet there are a number of others that have the same take. Just sort of interesting to me. I don't sign up for events for the gear. Honestly it would be cheaper to just buy the gear and not pay for travel. Events to be are about THP, THPers and amazing courses.
Events to me are not just about the equipment just like you. In fact some of them involving equipment are a turn off to me. I just want a fun weekend on the golf course with great people. If that happens to include equipment then so be it but the event itself is what makes it not the equipment.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

To be fair to the OEM that you gives you the free Equipment I think the normal amount of adjustment or "get use to it" time you would give anything you bought, now what that time is is up to the individual person.

Question For Those That Attend THP Events

I would say if a company is giving you equipment you have an obligation to them to use their clubs and provide feedback on the site of your experiences. I would say at least minimum one season from start to finish of these findings on all rounds on all conditions and different courses to be completly fair and judge it accordingly. Changing back to your old gamers or purchasing new sticks is not fair to these companies and a slap in the face in my opinion. These companies picked you to represent them on the site and it is your duty to do just that. To add to this even if you cannot hit the clubs worth a darn you should report that, everyones swing , plane, swing speed and delivery is different so others may have completly different results then you. It all comes down to many different factors which may be the results such as shaft or delivery. Swap out shafts if possiable and see if that helps out mishits ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To be fair to the OEM that you gives you the free Equipment I think the normal amount of adjustment or "get use to it" time you would give anything you bought, now what that time is is up to the individual person.

Agreed 100%. The granddaddy is a great example. I played all that gear and still play some of it.. But the extension of that is that callaway always gets first crack in my bag. Everything minus 1 wedge I have right now is callaway equipment because if they perform similarly to another brand they get the edge due to the treatment I received and continue to receive from them

An interesting take, especially considering the Cure Event didn't sell out.

We re of course all free to do what we want, but the way I saw it; THP + THPers + Longaberger + Interesting putter tech = worth my time.

I only have a limited number of trips available to me. For me 4 rounds of golf with THPers > 1 round + putt putt with a club I had tried and disliked. The decision was easy for me.

To be honest I disliked the experience with the cure putter at old silo so much that even if I had no other options I would not have gone. So my reasoning stands. Why should I pay for something I won't like?

So if Cure was sponsoring the granddaddy would you pass on that too?
That's a bit crazy dude. Callaway is not a new comer to equipment, or focused on something that is rather unique to the eye and ears honestly. Let's face it its Callaway and you pretty much have a general
idea about what lies ahead. The first Grandaddy didn't have a known equipment whip to it. And I know the sign ups were a fraction of what we saw last year and likely this year.

I think I answered this question the last time it came up. But, if I remember correctly, that may have been before I was going to have a chance to get and play equipment as part of a big THP event, with very strong equipment tie-ins.

My thoughts are this (and hopefully not too far off from my last answer)... I intend for the bag and clubs I receive during the Legacy to be my primary gamers. For how long? I honestly don't know (and that seems to be the crux of the question). My initial thoughts are that I plan to play them, as my primary set, thru the remainder of this golf season. That might require some tweaks to specs, or maybe altering bag setup for 1 or 2 clubs, but even for those bag setup changes, I would intend to use product ,from Wilson Staff, to try and maintain the obligation I feel I have to represent the brand and the event.

One of the dynamics I see on THP (and other golf forums, where equipment is a primary topic), is that a good number of community members actively tinker with equipment quite often, including multiple iron sets, putters, and/or drivers during a single season. I fit this description to a "T", as equipment tinkering is one of the things I enjoy about golf. For me, that's something I'll have to figure out how to balance with the personal obligation I mentioned previously.

But when people are saying there is a responsibility to review/test the equipment then part of signing up is the gear.

Has that ever been said in any event sign up? If so I must have missed that

Has that ever been said in any event sign up? If so I must have missed that

Is that not the discussion we are having right now? The majority of responses here say they believe you have a responsibility to review equipment you receive and I agree with them.. So I ask why would one sign up for something they weren't interested in knowing that they felt responsible to provide ongoing feedback on the club?

I personally feel obligated and responsible to get reviews and information out to others who weren't able to attend. The first piece of equipment I have been able to get is the cure putter, and I will never give that up. I practice and play with it about every other round to get exposure and see how it does. I will end up getting a wedge from Callaway in the gauntlet as well, and I will play that club as long as I can in order to provide the same feedback to the community. If someone else doesn't see it that way, that's fine. Use THP how you want. But I think if you get a piece of equipment through and event or through the forum reviews, you should feel responsible to everyone who didn't get the chance to give them feedback and information.

If the participant is paying money to be in the event, I don't think there's any obligation other than to review it for the standard time THP has reviewers do equipment. Paying for entry, travel, lodging, etc, should not obligate the participant to play equipment.
I will say this, though, if one IS obligated, the OEM ought to allow for the participant to make changes to the equipment at a reduced rate if it doesn't fit. Again, only if there is an obligation. If I were to participate in an event in which equipment was given but only "stock" options were available, I would expect the OEM to help me out on a shaft/adjustments if they felt like I should play the clubs. A driver costs the companies about $75 bucks to make, so I don't think they're out all that much money... My opinion.

Sounds like the "unwritten rule" maybe needs to be written if indeed the post event intentions are to be a form of "forum testing". Sounds like that would solve a large majority of the concerns in here

Is that not the discussion we are having right now? The majority of responses here say they believe you have a responsibility to review equipment you receive and I agree with them.. So I ask why would one sign up for something they weren't interested in knowing that they felt responsible to provide ongoing feedback on the club?

Does this effectively eliminate said person for signing up for an event where the equipment is a complete unknown? Grandaddy, Gauntlet, #StaffProto and Up & Down? I say this not about any person in the thread, but a general question.

Sounds like the "unwritten rule" maybe needs to be written if indeed the post event intentions are to be a form of "forum testing". Sounds like that would solve a large majority of the concerns in here

We have NEVER said there is an unwritten rule. All of our rules have been smack dab in front of everybody and always will be.

Completely agree with this. To that end, when a company not only sponsors the event but has their employees present at the event to advise participants on the gear, it's hard for the event not to be centered around the gear.

I see no problem with a forum member admitting that he's not interested in a particular company and doesn't want to apply for that event. Why have a member at that event that isn't enthusiastic about the company that is sponsoring the event?

For me I feel the obligation to game, review and provide as much feedback as I can give. What that time is will depend on each person. I believe I owe it to give back to THP and the awesomeness that is this family because without them I probably wouldn't have had the chance to participate. I would owe it to the OEM to provide as feedback because that will benefit them in the product development and eventually other golfers who end up buying either the same equipment I was given or future release that took into account the feedback received from my experiences.

There may not be a written obligation to play it or for how long. IMO the timeframe would be based on the amount of time I was able to spend on a weekly basis, but would think at least 3 months but maybe longer. If it was an event where I was fitted for the equipment then I am going to play that for an entire season or longer. Doesn't mean I won't tinker or play other equipment but the fitted equipment would be my primary set.

to me nothing is free and in this case the "price" is my reviews and feedback to both THP and the OEM and would god,my best to give as much info as possible.

We have NEVER said there is an unwritten rule. All of our rules have been smack dab in front of everybody and always will be.
Sorry wasn't directed at you just the few dozen comments mentioning it

Because no one, including JB, knew everyone was going to walk away with a putter. It was thought that only 2-5 people would. Not everyone who was there was there to test equipment. And that was made clear until te guys at Cure changed that

Does this effectively eliminate said person for signing up for an event where the equipment is a complete unknown? Grandaddy, Gauntlet, #StaffProto and Up & Down? I say this not about any person in the thread, but a general question.

Depends on how you look at it.. With big oems you have a good idea of the type of stuff you might receive. For the granddaddy it is a set of clubs fit to you and they offer a wide range of clubs.

I was speaking mostly about me and the cure event. I have seen them Multiple times in person and there is no way I would ever own one. The size and sound aren't for me so I don't want to spend money on something I won't enjoy. It is tough to speak for others but I wouldn't enter something unless I planned on reviewing the equipment for a period of at least a month or 2

Saying it multiple times so don't want to beat a dead horse but no I don't think so sign up. But if the equipment just flat out doesn't work for you I think 1. Give the reasons why. 2. Get it in the hands of someone that the equipment was targeted for so they can give a solid review. That doesn't mean one round and dump but if you go half a dozen rounds and range sessions and just can't hit something it is doing you nor the sponsors any good to continue with that club.

As said before I am against selling clubs "given" so this doesn't mean dump the club in the marketplace.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Because no one, including JB, knew everyone was going to walk away with a putter. It was thought that only 2-5 people would. Not everyone who was there was there to test equipment. And that was made clear until te guys at Cure changed that

But the event was centered around getting fit for a cure putter which I had no interest in.. The putters were the focal point of the event. I think it's amazing they gave putters to everyone but if the putters don't interest me then why sign up for the event?

That's a bit crazy dude. Callaway is not a new comer to equipment, or focused on something that is rather unique to the eye and ears honestly. Let's face it its Callaway and you pretty much have a general
idea about what lies ahead. The first Grandaddy didn't have a known equipment whip to it. And I know the sign ups were a fraction of what we saw last year and likely this year.

The same could have been said about Wilson Staff and #PersonalDistance flew so far under the radar is was almost comical. Then once everyone got swagged out attention on this years event grew ten fold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back