Great American Total Solar Eclipse: Your plans

milehighgolfer

Hacking at Altitude
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
On August 21st a total solar eclipse will pass over the entire width of the US. It will track a path from Oregon to South Carolina. It is the first total eclipse since 1979 and the next will be in 2024 from Texas to Maine. If I am still kicking in 2045, Colorado will be covered by the next coast to coast solar eclipse.

I will be driving 2.5 hours north into Wyoming to try to capture some pictures of the event.

What are your plans and who is lucky enough to walk out their front door and watch the eclipse reach totality?

It is relative insanity here in Oregon. The state park department held back some number of camping spots and used them as a fundraiser. They raised 30k. People are asking $150-$200 per night per person for camping spots with no bathroom, no electricity, two night minimum. The state wants that a stretch of hwy in central Oregon between two cities that usually takes 45 minutes to drive may take up to 8 hours. We've given up on camping and are thinking about driving down to Salem to watch it.

I'll actually be on site with a client for a meeting and are planning to have a quick break to observe in the middle of it!

At our house we will have 99.2% totality which will get us about two seconds worth of darkness. So we're going to get up real early that day and go to Columbia (80 miles west) and go to the zoo. They are having a full day of activities and we are members. I plan on us not being able to get home right away after the eclipse so we'll spend all day there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'll be in the middle of insanity in my hometown, we have a population of around 30k and around 50k with students at our local university. We're expected to get another million people in the area during the eclipse, we're supposed to have around 2 minutes 40 seconds of complete darkness. I'll be at the unofficial Indy outing the weekend before thankfully! I'm considering taking off work the day of the eclipse and spending the day at the golf course though. :D

I will be at work but so slow right now that the boss has said we can just enjoy it.

Will either be driving to or working in a drug store I'm sure.

21st? I'll be available.

You better believe I'll be watching.

Don't burn your retinas. Just ordered my cheap solar shades and filters for cameras.

I am at the golf course at 2, and the eclipse happens at 1:09. At the course it is 99.9%. To get to full I just need to go one mile north on 435 past my exit I take to get to the course. So I will probably do it.

Only getting a partial based on my location but I got an all day training seminar at work so most likely will miss that during the afternoon. My friends lives in a total phase area so hopefully he's able to get a few good pictures.

Don't burn your retinas. Just ordered my cheap solar shades and filters for cameras.

I was doing some research on this. I guess you can fry your cell phone camera if you don't add filters.

There will most likely be PLENTY of videos on YouTube of this, and tons of pictures to be found.

Good news for Kansas City viewing parties.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article166380777.html

Could it rain on the Kansas City area’s eclipse parade?
By Toriano Porter
tporter@kcstar.com
August 09, 2017 7:12 PM

Those solar glasses to view the looming total solar eclipse could be exchanged for rain coats and umbrellas if clouds and thunderstorms make their way through the area Aug. 21. Meteorologists at The Weather Channel are starting to get a look at the overall weather pattern that may be in place in two weeks. The early forecast calls for clouds and showers throughout the Midwest.

Thousands of people in the Kansas City region are expected to view the coast-to-coast eclipse, which is slated to turn day to night for no more than about two minutes and 40 seconds shortly after 1 p.m.

It’s the first total solar eclipse to cross the entire U.S. in 99 years.

The eclipse’s path of totality, a 70-mile-wide band on the ground where the sun is seen as totally blocked by the moon, cuts across much of the middle of the state on a centerline that leads from St. Joseph to Columbia and through Cape Girardeau.

According to the The Weather Channel, it is still too early to make a credible, specific forecast for any location for the period when the eclipse occurs. Large-scale storm systems that can sock in dozens of states with clouds and precipitation are rare in summer months, according to The Weather Channel. That leaves, for the most part, thunderstorms.

A single thunderstorm won’t last long enough to affect the entire two- to three-hour viewing period of the eclipse in any given area.

However, meteorologists say, one of these stray thunderstorms could be so poorly timed it occurs over part of the area seeing an eclipse for the roughly two- to three-minute period of totality.

Clusters of thunderstorms — more common in the summer — pose more of a threat to block out the eclipse. According to meteorologists, rain or cloud shield from the storms can linger over a given location for more than an hour.

I heard that you can get them at public libraries. Not sure if they are selling them or giving them away.

Bought some on eBay - Cheap

I'm torn. I'd really like to drive down to Wyoming with my kids to get in the path of totality, but it would be an all day affair (around 4 hours each way), and I'm going to be out of the office all of next week. So I might just have to stay home and check it out at 95% or 97% or whatever it is around here.

I suppose this is a great way to celebrate....

a5ec49528855ab2ab3be8d757904022c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do you have to be in the path to appreciate it?

Saw warnings on the news last night about fake glasses being sold online. Be careful.

I don't think you have to be on the "path of totality" to appreciate it, it just won't be pitch black outside. I think it will still be noticeable though.

You're going to have about 85% of the sun obscured. With the eclipse viewing glasses, you should be able to really appreciate it.

Our boss announced a late lunch/Eclipse Cookout so everyone can get out and see it. They also bought everyone glasses. Prett cool. We're going to be at 95% totality. Anxious to see it.

Will be at work and we are in an area of 99.8% but less than 20 minutes north will be in the 100% area. Was wanting to take the day off from work and take the kids to an area of 100% but several other's seemed to have that ideal as well and so I'll be stuck at work. Wife's work is closing for like 3 hours to have a "watch the eclipse pizza party".

Back