Great American Total Solar Eclipse: Your plans

We've only got around 63% totality so it's not as huge of a deal up here. I'll be at work. My daughter will be outside at band camp so I'm sure they'll get to see a bit of it, a few of the parents were talking about chipping in to get the glasses for all the kids.

I plan to be in Nashville TN at the time of the solar eclipse, the view should be very good over there.

Original plan was to drive I25 straight north to where it meets the center of the path of totality. But they say it will be the worse ever traffic in the history of the modern highway system as all of the Front Range of CO goes on the same road. So I may wander east into the middle of the nothingness of Nebraska to find an empty weed patch to park in. I will still be around hoards of people but coming home should be much better.

Picked up our glasses today. I will check them out beforehand to make sure they are ok to use.

I am going to avoid the traffic caused by the extra 1 million people visiting SC that day

We originally hoped to go to Nashville but the cost makes it a no go for this time.

However, there's another one in a few years (2024) that will also cut across the country and will also be closer to us, so next time it is.

We originally hoped to go to Nashville but the cost makes it a no go for this time.

However, there's another one in a few years (2024) that will also cut across the country and will also be closer to us, so next time it is.

Hotels are making a killing. Like 10 times normal rates at some places.

80% or so here... I will definitely check it out, not making any special plans though.

I just hope it's not cloudy or raining. Still a chance of either that day here in KC.

I am going to go chill on the beach with the little one and we will watch it from there. Local skydive is having a jump during it but I would not be able to spend it with my little girl so it's a no go on the jump

Hotels are making a killing. Like 10 times normal rates at some places.

I had actually booked rooms for us back in January (for a normal price) figuring that would happen. Fortunately they were a no-cost cancellation.

We'll be at about 99.5 totality where I work, so I'll step outside for a bit with what I assume will be everyone else in the building to check it out. I need to get my hands on some glasses.

We'll be at about 99.5 totality where I work, so I'll step outside for a bit with what I assume will be everyone else in the building to check it out. I need to get my hands on some glasses.

Rangers Trophies in Riverside. Just past Corner Café. Only place I could find them before Monday morning. (Lots of libraries are giving them out on Monday morning, first come first served)

I think I'll read Nightfall this weekend in preparation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...to-the-view-solar-eclipse-remotely/570844001/

LOS ANGELES — Not everyone will be lucky enough to get a front row seat to view the total solar eclipse.

If you're not one of the masses headed to Oregon, Idaho, Kentucky, South Carolina or any of the other areas within the "path of totality," there's always TV, online and apps.
The USA TODAY network will showcase the eclipse live from several locations on the path of totality, beginning in Newport, Ore. on Monday at 9 a.m. ET. USA TODAY will also livestream from locations across the entire path of totality*from Oregon to South Carolina on Instagram.

NASA TV, the Science Channel and the Weather Channel will also broadcast the eclipse live from several locations Monday, with most of the network programming online. One of the more unusual takes on coverage eclipse is a NASA offshoot called the*Eclipse Ballooning Project. Students and researchers working with NASA will see the eclipse from a different perspective — 100,000 feet in the air.

NASA will be sending 57 high altitude balloons into the skies, and live-streaming the view to eclipse.stream.live and NASA TV.

"The advantage is this is a unique perspective that no one else will be able to see," says Will Jamieson, the CEO of stream.live, which is doing the livestreaming for NASA. "We'll be capturing*earth and space, and seeing both perspectives."

Many of the top eclipse apps — there are over 100 of them — feature weather information and times for the eclipse in your favored area. The official NASA app will take you directly to the NASA livestreams from each of the totality locations, while the Eclipse Safari app has a section for the NASA live stream and eclipse related tweets as well.

I'll planning to be on the golf course and will bring my welding helmet to watch it. I can't travel to an area where it's 100% but it will be about 80% and at least I don't have to worry about cloud cover here in Sacramento.

I'll planning to be on the golf course and will bring my welding helmet to watch it. I can't travel to an area where it's 100% but it will be about 80% and at least I don't have to worry about cloud cover here in Sacramento.

Make sure that they have shade 13 or 14 glass or they will not protect your eyes.

I'll be sharing the event with my 3 daughters remotely via facetime. We all live in the path but each of our peak times will span about an hour. My youngest is in Tacoma and will experience peak first (93.3%). Then 7 mins later my middle daughter in Boise gets 99.6% peak, 46 mins later it's my peak in SGF MO (95.9%) and then 5 mins later my eldest bats cleanup in STL at 100%. We're hoping for clear skyies so we can each capture and share our own peaks but we're all jealous of Mom. She'll be above the clouds during the event and will be flying right through it between CHI and SGF.

That will be the day I return to work 20 days after my left hip replacement. My surgeon actually asked me if I would prefer to return to work on the 22nd, so I could see the eclipse! But, at work, I will be in the 99.1% zone, so I will definitely step out to experience it, clouds permitting. I've experienced 100% totality before, so it's not quite as big an event for me.

It's getting a little crazy in Oregon. There are wildfires in the Jefferson wilderness area where thousands of people were going to watch the elipse. Those people now will be in the valley near Salem or Madras area in Central Oregon. Lots of people, especially in central Oregon.

Eclipse

Eclipse

I am in Columbia, SC the center of the eclipse tomorrow. Is anyone playing golf tomorrow? I am playing 9 holes beginning at 7:45 but need to leave secondary to the 1 million extra people in Columbia for the eclipse. I am concerned about getting home beforethe event tomorrow as the traffic will be incredible.

Anyone going to be in the KC area today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it supposed to be brighter today?

I'm the starter at Crystal Springs Resort, NJ at the Wild Turkey course. I don't have the special glasses, so I'll be watching it on the computer. Here in NJ we expect to have a 71% coverage of the sun.

Back