Second hip replacement

Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
I had my right hip replaced three years back, and it was a total success. Then nearly a year ago the left one started going to pot. Last Tuesday was the big day, with the same surgeon and hospital, and now I am doubly bionic. I just looked back at the posts I made after that first surgery, to compare that one to this one. With the first surgery I took no pain meds after I left the hospital a day after the implant; this time I did use Percoset for the first two days. Last time I had a good bit of thigh muscle soreness, while this time I have that and what seems like more swelling than I remember from 3 years ago. But, the swelling has diminished some now. Last time I could sleep on the surgery leg right away, but I am still not there this time.

In what I see as a big milestone, though, last time I shed the walker for a cane on the 5th day after the surgery, and guess what - today is day 5, and I have once again shed the walker as of today. That makes me feel that I am pretty much on the same recovery track that I followed last time, which was excellent.

What does that mean? Last time the surgery was on July 15, and I first hit balls on the range on August 24, after just 40 days. A similar recovery track would put me on the range again 40 days after my August 1 surgery, which would be September 10. Can I get excited yet?

Good luck with your recovery!

Good luck man!!!

Welcome to the left/right hip replacement club!! My right was replacement in 2006 and my left in 2015.

I had my right hip replaced three years back, and it was a total success. Then nearly a year ago the left one started going to pot. Last Tuesday was the big day, with the same surgeon and hospital, and now I am doubly bionic. I just looked back at the posts I made after that first surgery, to compare that one to this one. With the first surgery I took no pain meds after I left the hospital a day after the implant; this time I did use Percoset for the first two days. Last time I had a good bit of thigh muscle soreness, while this time I have that and what seems like more swelling than I remember from 3 years ago. But, the swelling has diminished some now. Last time I could sleep on the surgery leg right away, but I am still not there this time.

In what I see as a big milestone, though, last time I shed the walker for a cane on the 5th day after the surgery, and guess what - today is day 5, and I have once again shed the walker as of today. That makes me feel that I am pretty much on the same recovery track that I followed last time, which was excellent.

What does that mean? Last time the surgery was on July 15, and I first hit balls on the range on August 24, after just 40 days. A similar recovery track would put me on the range again 40 days after my August 1 surgery, which would be September 10. Can I get excited yet?

5 more days, still trending very well. Swelling is way down, not gone but getting there. Muscle pain is also shrinking in area and severity. Walking unaided some in the house. I got out this morning with the weedeater and edged the curbs and walks, and trimmed the trim areas, while Mrs SAM mowed. Felt great to get out and sweat, and was not too tired or stiff from it afterward. I am pretty sure I will ditch the cane for good this weekend.

Hang in there! Hope you have a very speedy recovery.

That means you can turn your hips faster, adding more speed and longer distance....awesome!!!!

That means you can turn your hips faster, adding more speed and longer distance....awesome!!!!

I like the way you think!

Actually, with the first hip, I had lost several clubs in iron distance before I put them down altogether. Then, after that was replaced, first time out I had pretty much totally restored the iron yardage. Now with this one I again had lost several clubs as of this past May, so I am hopeful when I get to play again that will happen again. It mostly should at worst, just from better balance and stability, and refound ability to turn thru the shots.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery !

Best of luck on your road to recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouragement! Today is day 13, and I can walk unaided, but I am still using the cane some because of lingering muscle pain - walking with a cane takes some weight off those muscles and eliminates pain. Almost all of the thigh pain is gone now, except in the area near the incision. Tomorrow is first rehab (easy actually) and post-op w/ the surgeon - hoping I get the OK to drive again.

What do you think contributed to your needing a hip replacement? Does it just happen from normal wear and tear, sports related injury, genetics? I ask because I'm 32 and thinking how I can avoid certain injuries or surgeries later in life if possible.

Back