3 iron goes as far as 4iron...

MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure why but 18* 3 iron only goes as far as my 20.5* 4i. Not sure why they're the same distance. Flushing both clubs just seem to go the same distance regardless of how well I strike the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the impact is it at the bottom of your swing? Do you normally have shaft lean? You may put more loft at impact on 3i. It happens plus it also depends on the swing speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I carry a 22 degree hybrid and a 22 degree 4 iron. They have about a 30 yard distance gap. Hybrid I can hit high and 4'iron I hit low

Have you had the actual loft checked out?

as swing speed goes lower, the "benefit" of lowered loft becomes less

hence why long drive competitors use a 4,5,6 degree driver and we might use 9,10,11,12

I have decent SS (100-105) driver and I still see the same thing usually

I bought 2 driving irons, samd exact club in 3 and 4 iron and they both went the same distance.

Same thing usually for me with hybrids. 3 and 4 usually are about the same

I can think of a lot of reasons this could be: Your shafts aren't pured, loft isn't what's stamped on the clubs, your smash factor isn't the same, you drag the 3-iron through impact more than your 4-iron, balance is not as good with the longer club, lie angles are not the same, you flip the club more through impact with the 3-iron, you don't quite get the club face closed as well with the longer 3-iron, your ball isn't optimized for your swing speed, your swing speed is too low to keep the 3-iron in the air, you don't get your weight transferred to your front foot as well or at the right time with your 3-iron, the epoxy holding your 3-iron head to the shaft is failing...

I could go on, but I trust you get the point. There are a LOT of things it could be. To figure out what it is and address it you need the helpf of a club fitter.

BTW, I see your signature line suggests you don't play with the 3-iron in the bag. So what is your distance gap between the 4-iron and 5-wood? Maybe you don't even have a gap to fill?

Some people hit a 3-wood off the tee farther than their driver off the tee! So many different variables can come into play to affect the distance of each club.

TM just built it.

That really doesn't matter, the specs are +/- 1 degree so the 3 iron could be 19* and the 4 iron 19.5

Would I get more distance if the 3 iron had a graphite shaft in it over the steel? Possibly generate more Club head speed that way? The stock shaft in graphite for this club is the same in my woods and driver. Kuro Kage.

I agree to have the lofts verified. Brand new from manufacturer does not, unfortunately, guarantee that stated specs.

I agree to have the lofts verified. Brand new from manufacturer does not, unfortunately, guarantee that stated specs.

But even if it was off a little, would it make that much difference in yardage? If it were off, say 1*?

Would I get more distance if the 3 iron had a graphite shaft in it over the steel? Possibly generate more Club head speed that way? The stock shaft in graphite for this club is the same in my woods and driver. Kuro Kage.

Depends on the spin and launch, you could add ball speed but if you add spin it might go the same distance. That said Kuro Kage is probably lower spinning so you would probably add distance.

get on a launch monitor. You will undoubtedly find your launch conditions are are such to take advantage of the lower lofted club. A fitter will then be able to identify how to fix the cause.

Back