Question For Those That Attend THP Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only speak as someone who hasnt attended an event but plans to and it seems pretty simple. OF COURSE i would play the equipment and happily give feedback on it. Idk if its just how I was brought up but if someone is nice enough to give me something im going to use it at least for awhile and tell them how it is. Feedback doesnt have to be good so if i got equipment and discovered it wasnt working or just wasnt for me after a fair trial period, no biggie i would happily provide my honest thoughts to the company and THP readers. You can say you dont prefer something in a respectful way and professional way haha its not that hard. Oems arent looking for us to lie and kiss ass, but you should be courteous enough to use the stuff for a good while and give it an honest review. Ive won stuff from companies on Facebook and almost everytime they've nicely asked "if you dont mind could you report back with how you like it". Of course I said yes as once again out of respect and a common courtesy they deserve the feedback. They freakin gave me the product haha. As far as the actual THP events, to me it will come down to location, price, time off etc but if there's a sponsor that just really turns me off (not the case as i like them all, just an example) then i wouldnt sign up. Pretty simple. I wouldnt sign up just to take up a spot and go "ugh i hate this stuff, time to sell". Im just not that kind of person. I know the events are about wayyyyyy more than equipment but i would just leave the spot for someone who was freakin stoked to try and get in with their favorite sponsor and what not.

Despite what anybody wants to believe...The Grandaddy is ALL about the equipment.
R&D is there. Roger Cleveland was there. They fit every single person.
They gave them a bag full of equipment.
They brought you to one of the nicest courses in the country to test that equipment.

It is ALL about the gear and anybody wanting to attend should view it as such.
We didn't know we were getting a bag of gear until they said so in the meeting... I knew there was a chance, but all we knew when we sat at that table was we had a free weekend of golf and were gonna test some equipment. If one were to look back in the thread, it's mentioned numerous times that an equipment tie-in was not a guarantee... But, that was year one.

Then dude, I will be honest. I wouldnt sign up. The event is about the gear. Callaway is a club company and they are spending tens of thousands of dollars to host that event because of the gear.
But the belt! Haha kidding dude. But I don't remember anything about equipment till Harry dropped the bomb at the ECPC that fine Friday morning.

We have NEVER EVER EVER included any price of equipment in the pricing of events. Golf, Food, Lodging, etc. Equipment has never been a part of it and never will be.
Very fair...that was a poor choice of words to try to explain setting expectations.

I have gone back through the thread to read answers, which I didn't do before posting my own. I see about 99% of people think there's an expectations. I guess I'm dense and just missed it, but with a very small number of exceptions, I don't recall events being posted as event + review. I think it would help to more explicitly set the expectations because the overwhelming majority of THPers will do what is asked of them.

Some posts questioned why you would go to an event when you aren't interested in the equipment. I think that is unfair. Most of the equipment is pre-release and we know nothing about it at sign up. All we've got is the promise of something exciting and special, knowing that THP puts on great events. Also, the events are more than equipment events. They are learning opportunities, social gatherings and chances to play courses in parts of the country we might not otherwise play. To me, it is the combo of all these things that makes THP events spectacular.

Edit: The competitions are another reason besides gear that people attend. (and to reiterate fitted events, and in particular the Grandaddy, are different)

Then dude, I will be honest. I wouldnt sign up. The event is about the gear. Callaway is a club company and they are spending tens of thousands of dollars to host that event because of the gear.

Im quoting myself here, because that seems a bit harsh. The truth is though, that the Major Series has multiple events that is with Callaway that are not just about the gear. The King being about Kings of Distance and only about a driver. The Gauntlet being not about the gear, but having Roger Cleveland work with people and it be about the people. The Grandaddy is designed to get real knowledge and info straight from R&D, get fit and then put the gear through its paces. I know it has taken on a life of itself, because Callaway puts on a show in the ONLY THP Event that is not planned by us 100%, but at its core, when we talk to them, it is about the equipment.

Very fair...that was a poor choice of words to try to explain setting expectations.

I have gone back through the thread to read answers, which I didn't do before posting my own. I see about 99% of people think there's an expectations. I guess I'm dense and just missed it, but with a very small number of exceptions, I don't recall events being posted as event + review. I think it would help to more explicitly set the expectations because the overwhelming majority of THPers will do what is asked of them.

Some posts questioned why you would go to an event when you aren't interested in the equipment. I think that unfair. Most of the equipment is pre-release and we know nothing about it at sign up. All we've got is the promise of something exciting and special, knowing that THP puts on great events. Also, the events are more than equipment events. They are learning opportunities, social gatherings and chances to play courses in parts of the country we might not otherwise play. To me, it is the combo of all these things that makes THP events spectacular.

We have never said it was about a review. That is the reason for the question. There is no right or wrong answer here. Most seem to believe they should review it. Others believe its not a big deal.

One's main reason or any reason for that matter to attend these events for the soul purpose of free equipement is not right. Sure it is nice and a great gesture by the sponsor , but the main reason should be to play in a tourament and make lasting memories and make new friendships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One's main reason or any reason for that matter to attend these events for the soul purpose of free equipement is not right. Sure it is nice and a great gesture by the sponsor , but the main reason should be to play in a tourament and make lasting memories and make new friendships.

Okay here is an honest question. Take the Wilson event. Its not a tournament. Its a round of golf, a full fitting and a set of prototype irons and a chance to meet the people that make the clubs. The absolute reason to go to this event should be the equipment, right?

Well there goes my shot at ever playing in it then.

Despite what anybody wants to believe...The Grandaddy is ALL about the equipment.
They brought you to one of the nicest courses in the country to test that equipment.

I would certainly agree that an event like the Grandaddy is about putting a bag full of custom sticks into the participants' bags, with the intent that those bags from the event become, as much as possible, the bags those guys play for some time to come. That's what Callaway invests in the event, IMO. They want Chevrons on headcovers and Swirls on putters. They're investing in brand loyalty by providing a unique experience (and personal opinion they do a damn good job of it!) through an event like the Grandaddy.

They may want a different outcome from an event like the King. CPG might want a different outcome from something like Love Is In the Air, and so they provide different equipment. Cleveland wants to get something from Up&Down, which will impact the gear they hand out, if any.

Different companies want to get different data from THPers, but they also want to provide a positive experience, and want THPers to associate a positive experience with that gear. If someone shows up expecting to not like the gear, not only are they not likely to give the gear an honest go, but they may well also not much care for the event itself.

I think if you can't approach the idea of a company's equipment with an open mind, don't sign up for an event they're sponsoring. If you find out a piece of equipment doesn't work for you after an open and honest evaluation, say why you think it didn't work. I just don't like to see people dismiss equipment out of hand before/during/after an event.

Well there goes my shot at ever playing in it then.

See my follow up response. I realize my response came out sounding odd (text does not deliver tone), however in the end, I dont have a vote, so I say everybody should sign up.

I assume that when OEMs sponsor these events and give out free equipment, they are hoping for some feedback, so I would definitely share my thoughts. As for how long I keep it up, I guess it depends on how well the equipment works for me. If I get fitted equipment, I would think fairly long term, since it should work fairly well. Otherwise, 5-10 rounds before I bail out. If I know by the end of the event that the equipment is not right for me, I might just say "no, thanks" or pass it on to another THPer not in attendance.

This is all hypothetical, though. I have yet to attend an official event.

Okay here is an honest question. Take the Wilson event. Its not a tournament. Its a round of golf, a full fitting and a set of prototype irons and a chance to meet the people that make the clubs. The absolute reason to go to this event should be the equipment, right?

Well for this event , I would say for me is to learn more about equipment as I love tech. Yes the clubs are an extra and straight up awesome but , would not be my soul reason to gain entry. Plus not many people can say they had the experience of seeing a club built just for then like a tour pro, spending a day at the facility with R&D staff learning about this tech and the company. Very rare and exciting experiences

Common sense.

Understand that your feedback is valuable not just to THP'ers but to companies also. Good, bad, indifferent, feedback matters and EVERY SINGLE OEM is on our forums reading and looking to see what members have to say about gear, particularly after events. Do you have to play it forever? Hell no. But even if it "isn't best" for you, you can still give continued thoughts and insight into the why's about that, with tact, rather than posting once or twice (or never as we have seen that happen recently) and then ditching it. IMO, when people do that (vanish, sell instantly, b*tch about it and give up on it) the odds are a company won't be as interested to be part of these amazing events and you are hosing someone else down the road from ever getting to experience the awesomeness that goes on in such events with companies, UST comes to my mind immediately and that one pisses me off to this day because that is a company that "gets it". Do you have to play it forever? No, but use your brain and realize the bigger picture of things.

Now, selling something on the forum from an event pisses me off personally, but that is a tact thing.

Additionally, I hold #TheGrandaddy in a TOTALLY different regard as no financial investment is being put in by the members insanely lucky enough to get into it. For that, you 1000% have a long term significant responsibility to you and everyone else on THP to provide not just info and insight but to realize how damn blessed you are and how many would give almost ANYTHING to be in your place. You bet your ass my gear from December will be around in my bag for a long ass time even with my review obligations throughout the year and I will keep it FOREVER.

I 100% agree with you. I told my wife about it and we both agreed, if lucky enough to be selected in an event that I chose to sign up for, I'd sell all my old equipment to make sure the new stuff would be the only thing in my house.

I think you should play the equipment for long enough to form a valid opinion of how said equipment works for you .

In the very real event the piece of equipment isn't a good fit for you or long term something else tends to work better I like the idea of paying it forward.

Give it to another active THPer to give their thoughts and maybe it will be the best thing. They have ever used.

My only problem is using things like this for a profit. Or just up and disappearing.

I don't think anyone expects someone to use something that doesn't work well with their game .

If you get into a THP Event that has equipment given to you by the company, do you think you should play it?
Absolutely

If so, how long should you play it for?
​Normal review time frame, enough to give it a fair shake and get it integrated into your normal game.

Review it for other forum members that were not as fortunate?
Of course, try to be as open and honest so they can feel just apart of it as you being there.

Do you think the companies are giving you the equipment in hopes you continue to play it?
​Of course, why else would they want to be apart of it! They want the press/publicity/play to get the word out.

In my opinion no. It should be about getting to experience something unique that you otherwise would not with other people that share the same passion as you. The equipment is just part of the package.

For me at least and I'm sure a lot of others feel this way it's more about the community and the experience than anything else. I just get a kick out of the fact that I can play with people that share the same passion as me.

I came to this website specifically to learn about all the gear. It's absolutely about learning more about the gear, and the chance to hopefully experience some of it through these great events. I don't know a lot about the gear so the chance to play it, talk about it, and read about it is such a great marketing tool for the OEMs. I will happily play the gear for as long as I like how it fits and plays, until i can try something newer, or possibly better for my game. Most, if not all, of these OEMs that provide these great opportunities have something to offer every level of play, as well as the chance to get it fitted, or at least recommended to your game.
As for time I think it depends on how much you play. I can see playing equipment for two seasons possibly due to my schedule, but that could change. I can't even imagine what an event like the Grandaddy could bring to someone's game. It must be phenomenal.

See my follow up response. I realize my response came out sounding odd (text does not deliver tone), however in the end, I dont have a vote, so I say everybody should sign up.

Believe me I went back and changed one of my responses 10 times because no matter what you say it will never come across right. It's all good. Unfortunately the Internet is not the best place to have a discussion since The tone of the responses intent doesn't always come through.

All I'm pointing out is that I hate seeing people go to events just because they want some free equipment. That's all. I would like to believe this community is bigger than that.

Believe me I went back and changed one of my responses 10 times because no matter what you say it will never come across right. It's all good. Unfortunately the Internet is not the best place to have a discussion since The tone of the responses intent doesn't always come through.

It was great meeting you brother. Looking forward to seeing you at another event soon.

I personally think you should play it for a long enough period of time to see if it will work for you and your game. Every piece of equipment isn't made for everyone's swing so I can understand making a change after giving it a true go. What that time from is, I'm not quite sure because the amount of time playing/practicing/etc is different for everyone so one person's 6 months won't equal another person's 6 months. I do believe that we should review the club for the Forum. I know I enjoy the feedback from those that are using a club that I have interest in. I think the companies probably hope that it stays in the bag and drives a player towards at least trying other equipment of theirs in the future.

Yes.
The grandaddy gear is AWESOME, but the experience is right there too.

I can go out an buy everything in that bag, I cannot buy the experience, the feeling that I have to improve for myself and my team that is counting on me, getting selected to go to the grandaddy last year, I wanted to help my team win, I wanted to meet the callaway guys that I have heard are so awesome (and they are!), I wanted to play the hideaway that I've seen the amazing pictures of, I wanted to have my name on a sign in the airport and meet my driver (yes, I know that's silly, but I really was looking forward to that!)
The gear is in there, and I treasure it. My grandaddy bag and clubs sit right next to my chair in the living room!
It's all part of the experience.

Maybe some guys it is all about the new clubs, and if it is, that's OK.
But to tell me that the #Grandaddy is all about the clubs to me is rather insulting.

Editing after I read it to explain that last sentence (written word hard to express feeling)
To tell me that to me the grandaddy is all about the clubs is simply not accurate.
Not trying to fight, argue, or get thrown under a bus, just expressing my thoughts.

In my opinion no. It should be about getting to experience something unique that you otherwise would not with other people that share the same passion as you. The equipment is just part of the package.

For me at least and I'm sure a lot of others feel this way it's more about the community and the experience than anything else. I just get a kick out of the fact that I can play with people that share the same passion as me.

I get the community thing and agree, but at the same time if the guys that attend this event aren't posting about the equipment and their thoughts, but instead post a bunch of inside jokes, etc., then we don't learn anything about WS. I think there has to be vested interest in the equipment in order for all of us to get valuable insight into the company's product. By so means have fun, build friendships, etc., but tell us about the equipment.

I think you have an obligation to play the equipment and review the equipment you are given. For me, I think 3-6 months is a good amount of time for me to give an honest review. Any thong longer than that to me is unreasonable to ask. No matter how new or shiny the equipment might be, even if it is custom fit, It still might not be a great fit for someone. But everyone should give their new equipment a good amount of time in order to give everyone else on this site and the companies an honest review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back