What's the chances that Callaway will upgrade the Apex CF 16's for 2018?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been using and loving the Apex CF 16's ever since I got them. Just wondering what the chances that Callaway will be updating them for 2018? I'm guessing that the 16 in the name is for 2016 and with a two-year cycle, I would suspect an update for 2018.

I've been using and loving the Apex CF 16's ever since I got them. Just wondering what the chances that Callaway will be updating them for 2018? I'm guessing that the 16 in the name is for 2016 and with a two-year cycle, I would suspect an update for 2018.

I know there is a new UT line coming out in the spring.....and the Epic irons were this year so I am not sure there will be more CF's in store. As a fellow player of those I kinda hope they dont lol....i dont need a reason other than $$ to get rid of these lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would say the chances are slim. A new release would crush the Epic iron release and thats not good for business

I would say the chances are slim. A new release would crush the Epic iron release and thats not good for business

interesting. do you think the epic irons and apex irons are meant for the same golfer? if i was concerned about any momentum effects, i could see a potential cf18 release early next year somewhat impacting the steelhead xr.

From what I've heard reported online, the apex was to be updated this year but sales from the current model apex lines were still too strong and the decision was made to just continue with current and push back any release until next year. It was said in podcasts I believe that epic line of irons is not a replacement for apex/apex pro but it's own line entirely. The epic irons were a long time project of head of design for Callaway Dr Alan Hocknell and finally CEO Chip Brewer gave the green light to design, engineer, and produce his idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting. do you think the epic irons and apex irons are meant for the same golfer? if i was concerned about any momentum effects, i could see a potential cf18 release early next year somewhat impacting the steelhead xr.

I do. I think it was decision time on either a new Apex line or carry the Epic success into their irons and do their best to tie in jailbreak into irons. To me, the Apex/Epic iron player is different from the Steelhead XR player. I could be way off, but thats just how I look at it

I do. I think it was decision time on either a new Apex line or carry the Epic success into their irons and do their best to tie in jailbreak into irons. To me, the Apex/Epic iron player is different from the Steelhead XR player. I could be way off, but thats just how I look at it

i can attest to this....my local pro got fitted for Steelheads this year and I got the Apex irons early last year and we are two totally different players.

I don't think the Apex competes with the Epic irons unless the buyer isn't willing to spend the money for the Epics. Completely different target products, with the Epic being more towards the boutique type equipment.

I don't think the Apex competes with the Epic irons unless the buyer isn't willing to spend the money for the Epics. Completely different target products, with the Epic being more towards the boutique type equipment.

I agree to a sense. But take the person who is going to buy the epic irons and now take the epic irons out of the equation. What irons are they most likely to buy? Or say Callaway never releases another Apex line. What current new line fits them most? Has to be Epic right?

If the Apex line didn't exist, people would go to another manufacturer unless they were the type to buy $2k premium irons. They're Epics are aimed at the same types of people who might look at PXG or those super fancy Titleist irons.

Meant for the same golfer, yes, absolutely. However, two different price point golfers though. The Steelhead and Apex aren't competing though IMO. Maybe some overlap, but not big enough to effect both of them.

I agree with Phil that the same buyer who may be able to buy the Epic's, has a decent chance of just getting the new Apex line if that were to happen instead. Especially as they would be the new iron line at the time.

But someone who wouldn't put the money up for Epic's to begin with, either from not being able to or not wanting to, doesn't mean they wouldn't for new Apex's.

IMO there will absolutely be a new release for the Apex next year, haven't read or heard anything to the contrary.

Meant for the same golfer, yes, absolutely.

can you expand on that? i have a hard time understanding why a company puts out two products meant for the same golfer, with the only difference being price point? i have hit the cf16, but not even seen the steelhead, so i can't speak to whether in my mind they are meant for the same golfer. what i can say is that i haven't understood the message of the steelhead well enough to understand how it fits into the lineup relative to the cf16. that's why i could see the cf16 stopping whatever momentum steelehead has.

They will be replaced next year. They were scheduled to be released this year, but CF16 sales were way too strong.

The Epic line is a completely different line and market.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

can you expand on that? i have a hard time understanding why a company puts out two products meant for the same golfer, with the only difference being price point? i have hit the cf16, but not even seen the steelhead, so i can't speak to whether in my mind they are meant for the same golfer. what i can say is that i haven't understood the message of the steelhead well enough to understand how it fits into the lineup relative to the cf16. that's why i could see the cf16 stopping whatever momentum steelehead has.

Based on club design and what it's intended purpose is (launch and forgiveness in a small package), they are very similar in what they are trying to achieve. Why they would bring two products out at a different price point? I think if you watch the videos on them, they wanted to give the R&D department free reign to create whatever they could, without cost limitations, and this is what they created. It's a very niche market of people willing to pay the price for them, so I don't think they are a direct competitor for the majority of Apex customers - but on the flip side for what Phil was referring to...I think a new Apex would directly impact the Epic lines potential customers.

The Apex/Epic to me are in that in between category of higher launching/lower spinning heads that are still very playable/controllable, in a smaller package.

The Steelhead are 100% GI irons and are very high launching, bigger head, more offset...the typical iron you'd find in a GI category.

I think you will see the next Apex line out sometime in 2018. Was hoping Team Prestige might get to see them in December, but not sure that is going to happen. Hope so.

Based on club design and what it's intended purpose is (launch and forgiveness in a small package), they are very similar in what they are trying to achieve. Why they would bring two products out at a different price point? I think if you watch the videos on them, they wanted to give the R&D department free reign to create whatever they could, without cost limitations, and this is what they created. It's a very niche market of people willing to pay the price for them, so I don't think they are a direct competitor for the majority of Apex customers - but on the flip side for what Phil was referring to...I think a new Apex would directly impact the Epic lines potential customers.

The Apex/Epic to me are in that in between category of higher launching/lower spinning heads that are still very playable/controllable, in a smaller package.

The Steelhead are 100% GI irons and are very high launching, bigger head, more offset...the typical iron you'd find in a GI category.

good thoughts cb, appreciate the feedback. i see what you're saying, it still doesn't make much sense to me that anybody wanting the epic will instead bag the hypothetical cf18. the r&d story is nice, but they're also targeted to a niche market and that market doesn't care much about the value prop. i don't see the value-conscious consumer buying the epic irons in the first place, so i still don't really see how the releases will cannibalize each other. not to mention the inventory control i'm sure is going on with the epic irons.

either way, i'm pumped to see whether and how they improve on the cf line. the cf16 were phenomenal irons.

While I'd love to see them updated, I'd be just fine with the waiting another year. I love my Apexes.

Man I like my Apex irons so much now, can't wait to see what an upgrade looks like.

It would be interesting to see if they could incorporate the jail break technology into the irons without making them look like God awful shovels.

I think the Apex CF16 irons are pretty nice looking. Just wish they had a little less of a chunky profile and top line and a little less offset. If they were just a little leaner I would heavily consider them but visually they are still a little too large looking for my tastes.

It would be interesting to see if they could incorporate the jail break technology into the irons without making them look like God awful shovels.

I think the stabilizing bars on the Epics perform a similar role to jailbreak in the drivers, but it's obviously a different way of getting there given the construction of an iron vs. driver. It was mentioned on one of the Callaway or THP podcasts, I think.

Man I like my Apex irons so much now, can't wait to see what an upgrade looks like.

This got me thinking, what if they are working on the upgrade, but can't get enough improvement to launch the next version? Do you think that the delay in the next version, is that the CF16's were so good, that they are having a difficult time improving upon them?

Just a thought... I was hoping to see them when Team Prestige gets to The Grandaddy.

Bringing back the Apex in Black tells me for sure we won't see a new Apex model until 2018.

While I was looking forward to what the next iteration was going to be I do think Callaway needs to clean up their iron lineup as it is cluttered and a bit confusing on the GI/SGI end of the spectrum. Maybe this lets them figure out which lines are successful and whittle that down slightly.

This got me thinking, what if they are working on the upgrade, but can't get enough improvement to launch the next version? Do you think that the delay in the next version, is that the CF16's were so good, that they are having a difficult time improving upon them?

Just a thought... I was hoping to see them when Team Prestige gets to The Grandaddy.

Considering sales were up 200% in Q1 of this season vs. last. I think that was the reasoning.

Back