Question For Those That Attend THP Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has a lot of events on the calendar this year and many of them include the participants getting equipment.

We have discussed this in the past, but I wanted to ask you something as we have a lot of events this year that include equipment. If you get into a THP Event that has equipment given to you by the company, do you think you should play it? If so, how long should you play it for? Review it for other forum members that were not as fortunate? Do you think the companies are giving you the equipment in hopes you continue to play it?

I have been discussing this with a few from companies over the last 2 weeks and wanted to get additional feedback.

I played my Callaway stuff from 2012 for a long time. In fact, I still carry the driver, 5 wood, wedges and putter. I just officially retired my staff bag last weekend.

If you sign up for an event, you have an obligation to play the equipment and review the equipment. Why people sign up for events for equipment they find questionable is confusing to me.

I feel as though you owe it to the company and THP to play it, review it, and be totally upfront an honest about it. If it's a piece of equipment that you were fit for, then I see no reason to not game it. How long is a tricky thing. I would say at least 6 months after the event. I think companies are more like expecting a person to game it rather than hoping its gamed. And for me it's a realistic expectation from both the OEM and THP.

If you sign up for an event, you have an obligation to play the equipment and review the equipment. Why people sign up for events for equipment they find questionable is confusing to me.

i'll never regret going to the SpeedBlade event. :alien:

Ive always assumed that the companies giving the equipment expect it to be played for a period of time. What that period of time is, I have no idea. Perhaps they don't care, but to me that seems unlikely.

I personally think there is an obligation to review the pieces you have been given for the community to the best of your ability and need to put in whatever amount of time that takes.

Depends on the circumstances for the most part yes there should be a period you play it and review it imo. That said I have seen a few instances where after a bit people sell some stuff from an event. Everyone has their own opinion and this will be different for everyone.

I can tell you much of the legacy stuff I already have and will be getting doubles so to speak. I will probably pass some of the older (non event) equipment on to friends that I know are in need of something in particular. Other non event items I may sell but we will see about that as well. In a situation where someone already has what they are given I can understand passing on the equipment/selling it.

That is about the only reason for me personally though. The companies imo are giving the equipment for reviews and exposure. Not only for marketing but for hands on feedback from amateurs to help in creating new clubs. I think we all owe it to the companies to at least give a solid extended review of equipment they give.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Pretty much this.

If you're signing up for an event that includes equipment, you should continue to use the equipment and provide some feedback on it.

To each his own on the time that should be included on the feedback. But there definitely should be some input provided on the equipment received through one of these events.

I think anytime you get equipment from the company or THP, you owe to everyone to give your feedback. The reviews on THP are honest and come from fellow hackers. That's why this is a great source to review products. As far as how long it should be gamed, I think that can very person to person.

Good question. I'm sure the answers will be varied. But for me:

If I take part in an event where a piece of equipment is part of the package, I certainly feel obligated to play it during the event, if it's available at that time.

After the event, I feel an obligation to continue to play it for at least 3 to 6 months and participate in any review threads on THP, unless it's under a NDA at the time of course.

Not as confusing as those that get in "Events" then bail shortly after I suppose. But that is an entirely different thing.

I think you should play it and review it for a normal review time. After that do what you wish with it

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I think you should play it and review it for a normal review time. After that do what you wish with it

What's a normal review time? A week, month, 3 months, season?

I absolutely would game the equipment and be expected to provide proper reviews for all the OEMs involved and for THP .

I'm of the mindset that if you try and are fortunate to get into one of the premier events that offer some sort of equipment then you better be prepared to play it for a while. I get that we all like to tinker and like "shiny & new", but some of these opportunities are truly one of a kind & deserve the recognition/play for a while.

In terms of how long you should play it? That's the tough question. If it's a full bag like #THPLegacy or the Grandaddy I would expect you play that gear and provide feedback for quite a while. For the smaller/limited events (UST, Project X, etc..) I can't see how someone wouldnt game that equipment long term since it was fitted for their swing.

Again I don't know what that time frame is, but it's longer than a month or so. I fully expect the lucky few to review it in depth and provide as much feedback as is warranted/needed. I don't think these OEM's are coming to THP looking for a quick hype or marketing bump and be done once the event is over. I think on some levels they are coming to THP bc our community members are more knowledgeable than the average golfer and can provide real world feedback that is crucial to building a brand.

Unless there is a specified review window, I don't there really is any obligation.

That being said, if you sign up for an event knowing there is equipment involved, I would think you're trying to get in so you can play and review said equipment.

But again, if there's no formal obligation and the equipment was not known to part of the event prior to sign up, then judgement cannot be passed on anyone that gets the piece of equipment an is never heard from again.

To me it is a bit like being a Sponsored golfer and since you are fit to it there should be an improvement for your game if not right away, maybe after a getting used to period.

Sure the OEM's have Tour players to give them feedback, but it would seem information from regular folks would be more helpful in tailoring what they make and I assume what they make their profit from that being regular weekend Golfers. I have never had the chance to be in a Event of that magnitude, but would continue to play the Equipment until it is updated by the OEM (new release) or it just does not work for me any longer.

I guess that would depend on the person? Some people might go to the range and play everyday hence their review time might be a month, another guy might be 6 months.
I think everyone should give a real review and put effort into the review.

I am curious if the equipment is not as good for everyone's game as their normal gamers then what? Do you play something that doesn't fit you just because it was given?

I am really not a fan of selling but if something truly doesn't fit me I will try and pass it on to someone that it does and they can provide the feedback in it.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Unless there is a specified review window, I don't there really is any obligation.

That being said, if you sign up for an event knowing there is equipment involved, I would think you're trying to get in so you can play and review said equipment.

But again, if there's no formal obligation, then judgement cannot be passed on anyone that gets the piece of equipment an is never heard from again.

Nobody said anything about passing judgement.
Some people just view it differently than others, hence the reason for the question.
I honestly didnt think one would need an obligation, nor do I think there is a right or wrong answer here, necessarily, but am sure I will genuinely surprised.

I would say ideally it would be at least a month or two depending on how active one is reviewing the equipment and answering questions in the designated thread.

However, if someone attends an event and wins a piece of equipment or is given it at the event as a surprise (ie the cure event), I don't think that person has any obligation. They did not sign up for that event thinking they'd have to review equipment over a period of time

I do think there's a certain obligation to give equipment an honest go. Different companies have different desires in terms of what they want to see from their gear when they offer it at events. I think there's an awareness by the company that they might be crafting an event and the associated gear to evaluate long-term usage and that that might mean they come out of pocket a bit more to, say, offer a greater number of options to the guys playing in events...and they might have an event where they want to see how a piece of gear performs "right out of the box" where they don't want you to change anything from the stock offering. Having spoken to a handful of Morgan Cup participants in person in the past couple of months, I was pretty surprised at how their sponsors approached the event, and how much it differed from my experience with Callaway. Not bad, not good, just different companies with different approaches to what they wanted to get from the event. So I think what the equipment providers seeks to get out of an event matters, and what they're willing to put into an event matters as well.

That being said, if an event participant gets a piece of swag, gives it a chance, and it just doesn't work for their game, or they like their previous gear better, and they can explain how or why, they should. There's a reason so many golf companies exist, and I believe each one of those companies have a different model of golfer for which their gear is made. I don't think there's any harm in discovering you don't fit into a particular piece of gear. I think the only real hazard is dismissing gear out of hand. If you go into an event saying that the given equipment is garbage for your game, I think you're showing up with the wrong attitude.

Lastly, I think the mindset of the player in terms of how s/he approaches the equipment he's given matters...I would not have gotten my wife on board with the Morgan Cup if it didn't involve me getting a bag of clubs that I'm going to use for a long time...which for the most part I have.

I don't really feel right saying what I think others should or shouldn't do. No one knows their situation in life so that's not something I feel I should speak on. As for myself, if I were to receive a piece of equipment from an event I would feel obligated to do my part in the deal. If the equipment company just wanted to give away gear they would just open their doors and put a "FREE" sign on the building. I would guess companies like Cure, Wilson Staff, Cobra and others are counting on the exposure the equipment gets to grow their brand. Some may be trying to introduce a new product, some may be trying to rebrand their product but it's all generally for the same reason. Getting the equipment in the hands of the consumer and having them spread the word and give honest feedback on the equipment. So personally I would feel like it was my end of the bargain to keep the gear in play.

I don't really feel right saying what I think others should or shouldn't do. No one knows their situation in life so that's not something I feel I should speak on. As for myself, if I were to receive a piece of equipment from an event I would feel obligated to do my part in the deal. If the equipment company just wanted to give away gear they would just open their doors and put a "FREE" sign on the building. I would guess companies like Cure, Wilson Staff, Cobra and others are counting on the exposure the equipment gets to grow their brand. Some may be trying to introduce a new product, some may be trying to rebrand their product but it's all generally for the same reason. Getting the equipment in the hands of the consumer and having them spread the word and give honest feedback on the equipment. So personally I would feel like it was my end of the bargain to keep the gear in play.

That is why the 1st post is carefully worded to ask just the person answering.

Nobody said anything about passing judgement.
Some people just view it differently than others, hence the reason for the question.
I honestly didnt think one would need an obligation, nor do I think there is a right or wrong answer here, necessarily, but am sure I will genuinely surprised.
Let's be honest here, judgement does get passed. We've all been guilty of it. Hell, there have been forum testings where I've thought 'man, this person just isn't contributing at all'. It's 2nd nature, especially when there are hundreds have others who would have given a lot to be in their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back