60° wedge 4°bounced L grind vokey pros and cons

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
I am thinking about getting the the subject line set up. I read on the internet that it is for firm ground and sweepers. I think I am pretty neutral; not necessarily a sweeper but I have a 54° 10° bounce sand wedge so was going to go low bounce on 60. Is this going to be impossible to use out of soft sand? If course is moist is this rendered useless? What's the miss if so, a chunk? Can this be played out of the rough? Does the bounce change anything on full shots? I found that I am not hitting my m grind 60 8° bounce with any consistency on 1/2 and 3/4 shots but it's okay around the greens. Wondering if different set up would help. Ps, I love my 54° 10° bounce a grind.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With such low bounce you are kind of asking to hit low 100 yard screamers but it really depends on how you like to play your short game shots around the green. With such low bounce you will need to be more precise.

With such low bounce you are kind of asking to hit low 100 yard screamers but it really depends on how you like to play your short game shots around the green. With such low bounce you will need to be more precise.

Bladed shot you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesnt low bounce help avoid the thins?

I found that I am not hitting my m grind 60 8° bounce with any consistency on 1/2 and 3/4 shots but it's okay around the greens.

Typically a lower bounce would be because you want it around the greens for when you're manipulating the face more. If you already hit an 8* wedge around the greens fine, then a 4* will provide no extra benefit and might actually make other shots harder. Lower bounce tends to be more difficult for full shots as there is very low bounce to help with turf interaction, so it would have a better chance to make those shots worse than actually making them better.

Low bounce is going to be more prone to digging so I would think you would be opening up yourself to fat shots a bit more

I must have had it backwards. My bad.

I have played this grid and bounce in my 60 for years now... and I love it. It is super versatile around the greens as well. I have turned a few buddies onto this specific model as well and they are hooked.

Low bounce great for tight lies and for laying the blade open.

Bad for heavy rough and fluffy sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For a 60* club I'd recommend higher bounce as I find my 60* is the club I manipulate the most. If you have a 52, 56 and 60 set I'd recommend 2 of them higher bounce and one lower. That way you have a club for every lie/shot.

I went from a high bounce lob wedge to a lower 8 deg bounce. I tend to play firmer courses and am a sweeper of the ball. I find the low bounce very easy to hit and helps get good spin on chips when I go after the pin. I still keep a higher bounce for my sand wedge for versatility.

I have one and really like it. I am a sweeper and play on firm conditions and think the L grind is great. I've never tried it out of a fluffy bunker though I prefer to use the 56º for sand shots.

Partial and full shots there won't be much of a difference, especially if you're not a digger. There might be a tendency to hit a shot or 2 fat. But again, of you're more of a sweeper, that shouldn't be an issue. I dig holes with my wedges... I need the bounce. :D

Out of the sand, 4* bounce might be a little tricky.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Bounce is your friend, 4* is way too low IMO.

Low bounce may be better for super tight lies, like fried, low cut fairways, but I would think a player would need a little more bounce for bunker shots, thick rough, wet ground etc... so pretty much every shot you'd want to hit with such a high lofted club (just the opinion of a mediocre golfer)

Bounce is your friend, 4* is way too low IMO.

But high bounce is not always the best for everyone though either. I did a high bounce 60* wedge last year for the first time because everyone tends to say this, and I could never get comfortable with it. Bladed so many chips with it I hated it.

But high bounce is not always the best for everyone though either. I did a high bounce 60* wedge last year for the first time because everyone tends to say this, and I could never get comfortable with it. Bladed so many chips with it I hated it.

True not best for everyone but I'd argue for the majority it is.

I just started working with my new 60 L grind. I do like it a lot. It actually has 1degree more bounce than the 60 588 Cleveland lob wedge its replacing. I use my 60 from a lot of places and frequently open the blade. It's usually my choice from the bunkers as well. I don't take massive divots and too much bounce I run the risk of skulling it.

I found that I am not hitting my m grind 60 8° bounce with any consistency on 1/2 and 3/4 shots

I'm concerned with this comment. The setup you are looking at will be great on hardpan or tight lies, but very demanding in other conditions: fluffy lies, soft sand, flop shots. Even on a tight lie you'll need a shallow approach or you can easily chunk it because it's so easy to dig with the leading edge with that little bounce. If you are having trouble with consistency using 8° bounce and an M grind, you'll find the 4° requiring a lot more precision on a variety of shots.

Also pay attention to swing weight. With that low a bounce it could translate to a different swing weight than your other clubs, which would introduce more more inconsistency.

Last edited:
I play a low bounce (6°) lob wedge (60°) and a mid bounce (10°) gap wedge (52°). This, by far, has been my favorite wedge setup ever.

Back