Best low compression ball - value, all around good ball, etc

BuckeyeMark

Reaction score
Handicap
Going to a low compression ball. What have you hit that you like? Really don't want a super pricey ball. Thoughts/ideas?

Wilson Duo is hard to beat for $20/dozen.

what do you consider super pricey? And are you looking for something that will still give some spin around the greens?

Going to a low compression ball. What have you hit that you like? Really don't want a super pricey ball. Thoughts/ideas?

How low are you planning on going?

I like the Q-Star Tour, low compression, 3-piece, urethane cover.
The Callaway Supersoft is also a really good low compression 2-piece ball.

Wilson Duo is hard to beat for $20/dozen.
I got six dozen at Edwin Watts when they were two dozen for 30 bucks. Not sure if that sale ended yet or not.

Last year's QStar Tour is the best value ball I played. $15 on sale
The Wilson Staff Duo is a microschnitz behind. I wish the yellow were more like a lemon than a banana. The orange is quite bold though. $15 on sale
Callaway Supersoft is also a fine all-around ball. $17.59 on sale
Bridgestone e6 Soft is also excellent but not quite as soft as those above. $20 on sale.

All are in my current stash. I would recommend trying some of each to see which you prefer. I'm actually happy with all four, but for consistency I will have to narrow it down.

pga tour store had callaway supersofts for $9.99 a dozen, it was pink though.

DUO or DUO U. This years Q star impressed me as well in my testing on the dozen I got from here.

I found the new E6 Soft to not be all that great honestly prefer the older version.

Personally I use the Duo in winter and pretty much anytime it is below 45 or 50 degrees.

The Wilson Staff Duo is a microschnitz behind. I wish the yellow were more like a lemon than a banana. The orange is quite bold though. $15 on sale
Bridgestone e6 Soft is also excellent but not quite as soft as those above. $20 on sale.

All are in my current stash. I would recommend trying some of each to see which you prefer. I'm actually happy with all four, but for consistency I will have to narrow it down.

I've played all these and personally like the Supersoft best. I'm not a ball snob, like soft feeing two pieces, but that is just what put up the best numbers of those three. For whatever reason the Duo is always short for me.

My favorite 2 piece ball is actually the Bridgestone Lady Precept. The yellow has sparkles in it (bedazzled), which makes it very easy to find. Performance and feel is very similar to the Supersoft.

I've been trying the Maxfli matte balls lately and really like them. They're like a poor man's Volvik Vivid.

A buddy on here really likes the Srixon Soft Feels. I scored a deal on a couple of boxes one time and liked them. They feel similar to the E6 soft.

I've played all these and personally like the Supersoft best. I'm not a ball snob, like soft feeling two pieces, but that is just what put up the best numbers of those three. For whatever reason the Duo is always short for me.

Right here is a good reason why OP should try all of the ones that sound interesting. YMMV.

For me, The Staff Duo is definitely longest, followed by the Supersoft and QStar Tour basically the same, then the e6 Soft (woods are long, irons less so).

The Supersofts and QST seem to be the most forgiving, followed by the e6 Soft and the Staff Duo closely bunched.

Around the greens, the QST works best, followed by the e6 Soft, Staff Duo, and Supersoft.

In none of those cases, with the possible exception of the Staff Duo length and the e6 Soft lack thereof with irons, was the difference significant.

Wasn't the Q-Star Tour brand new this year?

Yeah, think he meant just the regular QS. This is why I hate the QST name, it really is easy to confuse.

thanks everyone - gonna give these balls a try and see what I like. I've been hitting the Callaway Super Soft. think I'll change it up a bit and just see. thanks!

Yeah, think he meant just the regular QS. This is why I hate the QST name, it really is easy to confuse.

It's especially confusing because the yellow color is called "Tour Yellow".

Callaway super soft 55. Get em at Costco. They don't spin back like a urethane cover ball on the greens ....more like a one hop.....depending on how you hit the ball

Don't sleep on the Maxfli Softfli. Often found at DSG 2 doz for $25, and occasionally 3 doz for $30. It's a 35 compression ball vs 29 on the Duo. I find the two balls to be very much alike, with a slight nod to the Duo on durability. I'd happily game those over the SuperSoft.

Duo is so good, and I'm so cheap, I'll buy them refurbished to save even more.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

@Srixon QStar

Correct. I bought the Q-Star in Tour Yellow. QSTs are available in white only for now. Srixon said by email that a yellow Tour is coming later.

Thanks for catching this.

My vote would be for the Q Star and also the Snell Get Sum

Recently watched Rick Shiels' comparison of the latest Callaway balls (Supersoft, Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X). He found that the Supersoft are just that, soft. But like a couple others have said, they don't have a lot of spin. The Wilson Duo is great. I haven't hit the TaylorMade Aeroburner Soft, but that could be an option to look at too. Similar price points to the others.

I use the Wilson Staff 50-elite in the winter since it's the cheapest ball I can find up here. I don't feel like it gives up anything to the other low compression/surlyn cover balls on the market.

My 3 favorites are the Callaway Supersoft, Volvik DS55 and Srixon Soft Feel. The DS55 and Soft Feel have a little firmer sensation off the putter. Otherwise all 3 play similar. High launch, minimal side spin and long as anything out there.

If money is a concern you can usually get the Soft Feel a couple bucks under $20 if you buy multiple dozens. The DS55 is $19.99 and the Supersoft $21.99. Normal Retail prices. Not talking prior year closeouts.

Back