Range Ball Quality

Ok quality balls. Some fair, some not too good. But I've seen ranges that are much worse.

Some quality and some very used balls.

Both ranges nearby do a pretty good job removing balls that are past their prime. In fact, for that reason I was really disappointed when I found one in my bucket tonight that was pretty chewed up. They aren't high end balls by any means, but they aren't Top Flight rocks either.

Course with a grass range and practice areas, now in good condition with a new superintendent, had to contend with the worst range balls for several years. New ownership just bought Srixons. Still, not the best way to gauge distance. The only way to do that is just before dark, and going onto a deserted course.

Last edited:
Complete crap!

Closest range to me is 45 minutes away, last time I was there they had new pinnacles. I practice in a hay patch with a small mat & shag bag full of new supersofts with plastic flower pots set at 20-30-40-50 yards and hay bales set at 100-150-200 yards.

eh, its a mixture but im not to worried about it. #1 hole goes right by the range so arrant tee shots land out on the range. So every now and then youll get a ProV1x or top quality ball.

The course close to my home has some newer Srixon & Callaway range balls. But they also still have a mix of old balls that barely even have dimples anymore. They are lucky to get airborne.

Bottom line is, most courses are not going to spend a lot of money on range balls (like having Practice ProV's like the guys on TV get).

Like others Id say so/so and it depnds when/what time of year. They get some new stock every spring once the whether breaks. But go late fall or winter and its terrible as most the ball are beat up by then. Well, actually worn down is more the correct evaluation. What can ya do? Im sure its a big expense. Want good ball all the time? I suppose prices would have to increase. That said, when a range is one which is busy and profitable Id like to think they would endure some extra expense for their customers who are making them the money.

The closest range used to be nice. When they first opened the owner bought 9600 brand new balls (NXT tour practice).
His wife left them out on the range with an honor system.
People didn't pay.
She thought they were paying him.
They were getting paid for 1 out of 20 range buckets.
People were also stealing them.
After about 16 months all of the balls were gone.

You find them all over their course in water and in the woods.
We also see them lost on other courses.
She pretty much gave them all away.
Now they have balls with all of the dimples and writing worn off.
They are permanently stained and the kid that shags them can't see all of them.

My golf range of choice, they just received a new shipment of Callaway range balls. The balls came in a pallet. I live in the Denver suburbs.

I travel to the Bay Area oh once or twice a month to be with family. In the East Bay, the golf range there must have the most awful balls ever known to the human race. These were not even range balls, but an assortment of found balls in the course. Lots of them have been mowed over, strings coming out of the balls....some are even missing part of the cover......

Which leads me to this question.....for folks living in the Brentwood/Oakley/Antioch area....where is a good golf range ?

There is a range close to where I work so I decided to check it out over lunch. I for the life of me couldnt figure out why I couldn't hit a ball to save my life. It was horrible. I mean my driver was going 150yds if that.

I finally looked at the balls and they were some POS Wilson limited flight balls.

Needless to say, that was the last time I went to that range.

Ours are new Callaway practice balls with no other markings. They produce on average 10 mph less ball speed from my driver compared to several quality balls confirmed on FlightScope. I see a little less loss off my 3 wood and no noticeable loss on irons.

Back