Cell phones: Telephone?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I have been reading the Smart Phone thread and don't want to go off topic in it so . . .

I got my cell phone for the phone capabilities! I picked a phone that had long battery life, good signal reception, a loud ringer, good call quality (both ends) and bluetooth (so when I am in my car I can use my hands-free feature on my TomTom). It has a camera but it did not figure into my decision. I have used the camera but do not rely on it because I have a very good digital camera. I rarely (actually never) come upon a situation where I have to take a picture with my cell phone but have done so just because the phone has the capability. If I am out and about I don't need any web capabilities and if I am out of town I always have my laptop. I have a text plan where I get 300 messages a month but might only use 50 in a busy month. I have yet to run over on my texts and I have been with this company for ten years!

Does anyone else have a cell phone mainly for the phone part of the device?

I too picked my phone for basically the same reasons Smalls. I do send a couple text messages a day, but mostly to save minutes when it is just a quick question or something like that.

I was always like that as well. But in my job, I just need the email functionality.

I used to, all my old regualr cells had good basic functions. As times change, so do I. I never thought of how much a smartphone would be of use, but it is, merely for basic email and quick new-based browsing. Doubt I could go back. I'm anxious to see what advancements will be made in this market the next 2-4 years actually.

Really? I think our smartphones can do a whole lot now. With apps you can do just about anything to me.

If everything else were equal (all the stuff I want out of the phone part of a cell phone) and the price was comparable I might consider a Smart Phone. But whenever I do upgrades (usually every year, sometimes two years) the phone I get is free or no more than 30 bucks while the Smart Phones are $150 or so to upgrade. That's close to 4 or 5 rounds of golf. Golf wins! LOL I'm a techie kind of guy but I'm cheap too! hehehe

Really? I think our smartphones can do a whole lot now. With apps you can do just about anything to me.

true true... I am waiting for all of the other smartphone (other than the iPhone) to dump WAP and have full graphics internet.

If everything else were equal (all the stuff I want out of the phone part of a cell phone) and the price was comparable I might consider a Smart Phone. But whenever I do upgrades (usually every year, sometimes two years) the phone I get is free or no more than 30 bucks while the Smart Phones are $150 or so to upgrade. That's close to 4 or 5 rounds of golf. Golf wins! LOL I'm a techie kind of guy but I'm cheap too! hehehe

But you can get a previous model smartphone for usually next to nothing if you wanted to go that route. I got my last Blackberry for $29 when I was with AT&T after finally giving up on the IPhone. Then when we moved to Sprint, my Blackberry was free after rebates. And many times on third party sites such as Amazon, if you are switching carriers, they have the best deals.

I could check out Ebay for them too, I know. As far as switching carriers, it's not going to happen. I am too pleased with T-Mobile to switch. We have Sprint at work and I had a company phone for a while. I don't like Sprint at all.

The phone I have now I have for the basic phone operation. I get a few text messages but can't send them. I'm with Nextel but will probably be switching to Sprint very soon. I just hate giving up my great plan. Free incoming calls, free two way. But I'll be glad to catch up with technology a little and add texting. For $130 a month the little lady and I can have unlimited texts, Sprint to Sprint. That's only a little more than we pay now. I'm debating which phone I want to get though. I like the black berry but don't know that I want to drop that kind of money on a phone.

Josh, I meant I am amazed at how much they can do now, in a few years they will be crazy unreal and off the hook for realz.

I would agree Scooter, I am just curious what else can be added except for speed.

Smalls, you should have just threadjacked the other thread with this one, because it is turning in to another smartphone conversation....

Probably. Maybe we should yell at JB for going off topic! LMAO

All my fault. I learned from the best (CofC)

She rubs off on all of us at some time or another.

Does anyone else have a cell phone mainly for the phone part of the device?

I had my cell phone for years and years - they always tried to get me to upgrade for sake of the new phone. I understood why the cell people tried for the upgrade (contracts) but even my friends would chastise me for not having a camera or email or any of the other bells and whistles. I would say, "I call people and it talks, so I like it."

Last night, my phone suffered a painful, final death. The phone and the battery separated, never to be joined together again! I went in to t-mobile and admitted my defeat and signed another contract. It's pretty cool, ruby red and has a little camera feature, somewhat amusing since I don't have my own digital camera. It was free. He suggested for just a couple hundred dollars I could have an even cooler phone! I just looked at him and sighed.

I'm like you Smalls, cheap.lol I would love to have a new smartphone but, I don't want to pay for the service or the phone. All three of the cells that my wife and I have are pretty basic.

I had my cell phone for years and years - they always tried to get me to upgrade for sake of the new phone. I understood why the cell people tried for the upgrade (contracts) but even my friends would chastise me for not having a camera or email or any of the other bells and whistles. I would say, "I call people and it talks, so I like it."

Last night, my phone suffered a painful, final death. The phone and the battery separated, never to be joined together again! I went in to t-mobile and admitted my defeat and signed another contract. It's pretty cool, ruby red and has a little camera feature, somewhat amusing since I don't have my own digital camera. It was free. He suggested for just a couple hundred dollars I could have an even cooler phone! I just looked at him and sighed.

Do we have to sit you down and explain to you what is and isn't appropriate to be taking pictures of and sending to all your friends? Congrats on the new phone.

I used to only use my phone for calls, then I discovered text messages and that changed a lot of things. I HATE to be on the phone, which is funny because that's all I do all day long. So if I can just send a quick text I much prefer that. I also work in an industry where it is crucial that I always have access to my emails, so for me the blackberry was the only answer. I wish I could just use a regular phone because the plans are cheaper, but now that I have gone blackberry I don't know that I could go back.

I would agree Scooter, I am just curious what else can be added except for speed.
I would like to envision something like we have now, obviously faster and easier to use deeper features, but what I would love...somehow a small phone that simply projects an image onto anything for a larger viewing screen for ineternet. Like a projector:D

Do we have to sit you down and explain to you what is and isn't appropriate to be taking pictures of and sending to all your friends? Congrats on the new phone.

I'm saving my favorites for post 2,000. :smile:

I bought my cell phone to use as a cell phone. Ive got a Motorolla Razr and its got a camera phone and internet and whatnot, but I use it as a phone.
A lot of people want those other features because their phone can be a do-it-all electronic device.
Me, I just want something that makes phone calls and thats it. I couldnt care less about internet or GPS or bluetooth or e-mail or even text messaging.

I bought my cell phone to use as a cell phone. Ive got a Motorolla Razr and its got a camera phone and internet and whatnot, but I use it as a phone.
A lot of people want those other features because their phone can be a do-it-all electronic device.
Me, I just want something that makes phone calls and thats it. I couldnt care less about internet or GPS or bluetooth or e-mail or even text messaging.

How long have you had your Razr? Is it lasting you? I know a bunch of people who got Razrs when they first came out, and those things are full of bugs. I'm totally turned off to ever getting one, but maybe they've worked them out.

How long have you had your Razr? Is it lasting you? I know a bunch of people who got Razrs when they first came out, and those things are full of bugs. I'm totally turned off to ever getting one, but maybe they've worked them out.
Ive had it about a year and thus far its working OK. It doesnt drop calls and doesnt really act up.
My brother has a Razr that is about 2 years old and his acts up all the time. It drops calls a lot and when he talks into his phone, he can hear himself talk though the phone.
Ive heard the Razr horror stories too, but mine has been OK thus far.

Back